Jigging reel

I'm looking for a reel that I could use while jigging AKA light weight with high line capacity and decent drag. What do you guys recommend? Also I might be using this as a pitch reel to sight cast to mahi or whatever, so it could double for this use, which requires the same features (light weight, high capacity, decent drag). I have Penn SSM 750 that I'm not sure what to use for at the moment, is that a decent jigging reel? It's a big large for a pitch reel.

Replies

• FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    PENN CONQUOR 5000,7000,8000...I personally like the 7000. I use it for jigging and everything else. It's high speed with a tough drag. Very light compared to other Penn models.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I am with Flats Broke on the Penn Conquer 7000. Great reel that can bring up a nice fish off the bottom and a drag that can handle a wahoo, when that time comes. If you dont want to spend that much, look at the Penn Battle. Good reel for half of what the Conquer cost.
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 250 Deckhand
    The SSM's are powerful reels.. Ive got one my pops gave me, its the 850 and about 30 yrs old and works like new.. It'll pull in almost any fish you could get on it, same probably goes for the 750 model.. Im gonna use it for trolling mostly since those reels are pretty heavy.. Got a Penn Fierce 5000 to replace a lost reel for Christmas.. Its Penns cheapest line and newest i think.. Most people would want to go with a reel thats more tried and true but it fit my budget and it has great reviews.. It's a little on the heavy side, but very smooth.. The battle and conquer are better options but the Fierce aint too shabby either..
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    I am with Flats Broke on the Penn Conquer 7000
    Conquer 7000 :thumbsup
    The SSMs are nice, but heavy. After a day of jigging, you'll be happier with the conquer
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Although I favor my Okuma VSystems for jigging I like the feel of both the Conquer and the Shimano Saragosa. You can even pick up a new Conquer 7000 of fleabay for under $147 with free shipping. That is a good deal!
  • jcanracerjcanracer Posts: 4,296 Moderator
    I am with Flats Broke on the Penn Conquer 7000. Great reel that can bring up a nice fish off the bottom and a drag that can handle a wahoo, when that time comes. If you dont want to spend that much, look at the Penn Battle. Good reel for half of what the Conquer cost.

I have a Penn Battle 5000 and i got it instead of the conquer simply because of the price. Its been an excellent reel for jigging casting and even a little trolling between jig drops.

If you were more a fan of the conventional style reel, you could try a daiwa saltist. I have one and i'm actually starting to prefer it for jigging now. Good drag in a light reel.
    Hobie Kayak angler for life!
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    I stick soley to the 850 ssm's and they aren't great fro sight casting by anymeans. I'll use em for big livies flatlined or dropped, and jiggin. Yes they are heavy, but for me it's no different than the line of work I'm in so the weight doesn't bother me. They can handle just about any fish as another spinner as most likely on a BIG fish you'll tend to palm the spool anyhow. But, there is definitely alot of lighter and higher drag capacity reels out there for jiggin. I like my 850's for all around, not to mention the 600yds of 50# braid they carry