Dania Boys Jigging

FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
I saw Palmbeachpete's video on jigging down where you all have it made (Dania). It was mainly him gruntin and huffin while crankin up a great ol big un. I got to listen to him jabber a little before the fish hit but not long enough to learn anything.
And I might a saw a video about using a single hook instead of a treble....
So First off.
What makes and models do you all use and why one color over another. I remember using 1oz Hopkins hammered spoons in freshwater... So I know those don't work...at least not when tied to my line.
I gotta buy something... so what should I get. If you guys say it catches fish then at least I'll have some confidence in it...till I can prove to you I can't catch fish with a lead spoon.

Replies

• EricD1980EricD1980 Posts: 181 Officer
    Personally my goto jig and the jig several other people I know use is http://www.basspro.com/Williamson-Lures%C2%AE-Benthos-Speed-Jig/product/89186/61746
    i like the 5oz model for all around use. When it comes to color i like colors that mimic natural baits so i like green and blue. But i do believe any colors can work as can any jig. Remember fish are opportunistic eaters. If it looks like food then they are going to eat it. If it visual looks like food they might eat it, but if moves like food they will almost will certainly eat it. So most important in my opinion is how you work the jig and present it. Hope that helps
  • PottymouthPottymouth Posts: 1,547 Officer
    Going offshore and dropping a jigg is NOT going to get u a instant hook up... What it takes is practice practice did I mention practice.... Also gear rod and reel... Don't forget proper leader material and a good knot... Ur not going to get a buch
    Experienced anglers telling u exactly what they use or what works from them.. put ur time in... And the fish will let u know when u get it right... If u want to skip that step then hire a guide.. Ur going to have to pay cash or put in some time...
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Posts: 2,315 Officer
    Thank you Eric,
    and what do you use Pottymouth? I sorta said what you said in my opening post...can't you read the least little bit between the lines.
    I know just dropping a jig down there isn't going to bring instance success, but dropping the wrong jig down there definitely means failure. I already fail (I pointed that out).
    After I hear from enough of you I'll buy the right jig(s). And then talk about the leader and line...then the rod and reel...but let me keep it simple and learn about jigs first.
    So anyone else gonna share(post) their go to jigs?
    I used them all and hooked up on 98% of the jiggs I have tried. it's not about color it's about tech and speed retrieval (the action of the jigg ). As for jigg weight that depends on depth, current and wind.. Leader and knot presentation is important as well but since u wanna be a smart *** I'll let u figure it out urself... Really I have to read between the lines. Ur asking for help not me..
    POTTYmouth..not nice not nice... those "*"s....:nono
    I am so sorry to have aggravated you...how would you like for me to post it?
    I am inquisitive though..may I ask one question?
    What color SRA did you get to?
  • NELuckNELuck Posts: 4 Greenhorn
    The Christmas spirit is alive and well in this thread.
  • bnzbnz Posts: 183 Deckhand
    Not sure how well it translates into jigging from the yak but will definitely give you some ideas... What jig belongs in every jiggers bag

You can also check out Pete's posts as you said and see the jigs he uses.
    I am inquisitive though..may I ask one question?
    What color SRA did you get to?[/QUOTE]
    Same color as ur ugly wife's panties.
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 252 Deckhand
    I just bought an assortment of Williamson jigs that I've seen people on here use.. Picked the ones that looked most real.. Mainly what EricD said.. Never deep sea jigged before but im just gonna get out there and figure it out.. Ill try different speeds and length of retrieve, 10ft, 25ft, 100ft etc.. That's kinda what ive picked up on here.. And there expensive as hell, hoping i won't have to buy any more for a while..
    Yep jiggs are expensive.. But be careful some of on line ones suck I've brought a set of 10.. The only jigg I ever tried that did not produce... But I've seen jiggs go for a pretty penny.. Some I liked some I did not care for.. It really comes down to personal preference. I started with expensive heavy jiggs heavy line and leader. With time I learned to slim down to the depth and location that I am fishing...
  • Android77Android77 Posts: 486 Deckhand
    The right rod and reel are just as or more important than color or brand of jig. Size matters.
  • palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Posts: 2,620 Captain
    I will fish a pink jig over any other color. I also like a little glow on it. As for hooks, they will all work and I will sometimes put a bottom hook on a jig. Got some nice snapper on the bottom hook. I will use a light jig if I can and will move up in wt. when needed to. The key to jigging for me is to make sure I drop the jig on something that holds fish. Like Pottymoth said, try working the jig many ways and the fish will let you know when you get it right. I had days when working the jig fast was all it took and others when a slow moving jig killed the Big AJs. I will bring jigs from 1oz to 8oz but like the 3 to 5oz jigs best.
  • HookedHooked Posts: 391 Officer
    I agree with Potty and Pete!!! Jigging isn't just about the brand of jig and color. Putting a pink tutu on a fat man doesn't make him a dancer. Learn about the types of rods, reels, line, leader, jigs, colors and styles and you will save lots of money.
    Well that is easy....BROWN (BTW I need to thank you...she appreciates me so much more since you were with her).
    Now my pretty wife would be very difficult..I don't let her wear panties
    Hooked wrote: »
    I agree with Potty and Pete!!! Jigging isn't just about the brand of jig and color. Putting a pink tutu on a fat man doesn't make him a dancer. Learn about the types of rods, reels, line, leader, jigs, colors and styles and you will save lots of money.

You're right..Potty is right, Pete is right...But if the MET Ballet Troupe is dancing the dance of the Pink tutus and I show up wearing my ugly wife's brown underwear then I am really gonna feel like I got two left feet.
    So let me get the ballet slippers on if thats the kinda dancing we are gonna be doing in Daina, if we are going to tap dance I'll buy those. But right now all I can do is try and make sure I am wearing the right shoes.
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    I almost exclusively use williamson abyss and williamson benthos in the 5 - 7 oz ranges. I do have other brands in the box, but they rarely see water. i generally prefer natural color schemes, but pink and chartreuse also seem to do really well for some of my fishing buddies. Grab a few Williamson or Shimanos and get out there. Once you learn to catch on those two brands, branch out and try the others
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
    I will fish a pink jig over any other color. I also like a little glow on it. As for hooks, they will all work and I will sometimes put a bottom hook on a jig. Got some nice snapper on the bottom hook. I will use a light jig if I can and will move up in wt. when needed to. The key to jigging for me is to make sure I drop the jig on something that holds fish. Like Pottymoth said, try working the jig many ways and the fish will let you know when you get it right. I had days when working the jig fast was all it took and others when a slow moving jig killed the Big AJs. I will bring jigs from 1oz to 8oz but like the 3 to 5oz jigs best.

Thanks Pete,
    I appreciate the info...but can I share with you something that might not be obvious. I can't load up the tackle box full of big hunks of lead ..I can only buy three or four...maybe five if I win the Bowl pool at work.
    So you got me believin i should buy Pink jigs... a three, five and seven ouncer....what brand? Now that fourth jig...A glow in the dark six ouncer?
    I just remembered...doesn't water filter out all the colors at that depth? So Contrast and glow in the dark have gotta be the main issue when it comes to color? right? has there been any studies done on the subject?

<--still trying to pick out the shoes for my audition with the Bolshoy Ballet Company.
  • joedaddyjoedaddy Posts: 69 Deckhand
    You can mimmick the next guy all day and still not get results. It really is all about putting in the time.
    You can show up to your dance with the right costume, but if you haven't practiced ballet every day since you were 4 like them, they're still gonna smoke you. I'm saying this in all seriousness and personal experience.
    I've fished side by side with Pottymouth and the boys using the same baits/lures in the same conditions, etc with much different results. There have been days I'd get skunked and they're pulling up fish on either side of me...ALL DAY. But I've learned to enjoy being out on the water with some good people and bringing home dinner is definitely a plus. It just takes time, experience and "smooth jams" to woo in some fish! LOL

My advice is to pick up assorted colors of assorted size jigs. After paddling half a day, I prefer working smaller jigs 4-6 oz BUT if there's a current underneath they'll drop sideways or an angle at best and only the heavier jigs will do. I'm no body builder, so paddling that same strong current takes a toll out of me and sometimes I just switch to bait on a heavy sinker. A local tackle shop had some generic jigs for $6 that I started with (pink, green, and blue). It's nice to have an assortment to use in different light conditions and visibility. Some colors may be more visible on overcast days, etc. I've had neon green ripped off my line by something big and brought home black fin on blue/silver. BUT the importance like above is that vertical jigs cause fish to react.

Quality is a preference too. Those same $6 jigs don't hold up. BUT I saved myself the additional heartache of losing $14 every time an AJ took it into a wreck, etc.
    Since starting, I've already moved up to a better reel and am looking at jigging rods. Some fish swallow their prey whole, which is great for jigging with a single hook set-up. However, I was going through my tackle box a few weeks ago and noticed a LOT of teeth marks on my jigs...hmmm might be time to start adding more hooks...

Also remember that it's a whole different ballgame jigging while sitting in a kayak. You'll see the videos online of guys standing in the back of a boat, etc. You really have to learn the "feel" of doing this while sitting and using mostly your upper body to jig and fight the fish and your lower body to hang on!
    See comments above about technique.

Best of luck!
    Yep I stated over on another thread that I've been out dropping jigs (in freshwater) out of the same boat as two guys that were reeling them in, and I caught a rock (so I did NOT get skunked). So I understand the "If you do not know how to dance then you are not going to be The Swan in Swan Lake. But I do not want to feel awkward and defeated by showing up and not having the right feather outfit. So could everyone quit harping on "You don't know how to dance so we aren't going to tell you where to buy shoes"?
    I'm leaning more and more towards to not even entering the tourney. It is quite evident that I should just leave the yak at home, sleep in that morning, and just come down for the weigh ins.
  • FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Posts: 2,060 Captain
    Ok, GOOD LUCK
  • oarknotoarknot Posts: 246 Deckhand
    So anyone else gonna share(post) their go to jigs?

Nope!

Asking strangers on the internet for the holy grail of jigs is not going to help you find it (or help you actually catch fish with it), especially after people have repeatedly told you to try out a bunch of different types and gain the experience needed to fulfill your quest. I showed a guy one of my holy grail jigs earlier this summer, and he floated around empty handed for months until he finaly started to figure it out, and only recently has he managed to actually bag a few.
    Good points Oarknot, I can see how that hurt you. and him.
  • cranker789cranker789 Posts: 252 Deckhand
    Frisbee wrote: »
    Good points Oarknot, I can see how that hurt you. and him.

Lol
  • ProduktProdukt Posts: 592 Officer
    The guy at anteaterjigs dot com sells awesome assortment of jigs in the 100, 200, 250 and 300 gram ranges, and quite cheap. Pack of 6 for 24 bucks. Very solid deal.
  • SaltysackSaltysack Posts: 463 Officer
    Truthfully, I don't think the fish are nearly as smart or picky as everyone pegs em out to be...for jiggin anyhow. You could attach a 5/0 hook to a 6oz sinker...just gotta be shakin it in front of the fish. That ole phrase 100% of the fish are in 1% of the water. Just go basic, or hunt down a flee market...the Williamson Benthos 5&7 0z jigs are a good starting point. Colors? Thats like asking all of us what's the best beer....free is most likely your best response. Color can change on the day, I like Black/orange for some fish, pink/green/blue for others, and silver/chartruse gets hit. Like the guys said, a little glow never hurt either...You have a 0% chance of catching/improving while talking trash online to people you're asking for guidance from...
    Well kewl then.
    Now give me all your numbers.
    Produkt wrote: »
    The guy at anteaterjigs dot com sells awesome assortment of jigs in the 100, 200, 250 and 300 gram ranges, and quite cheap. Pack of 6 for 24 bucks. Very solid deal.

that is a great price
  • LokiLoki Posts: 141 Officer
    What's a vertical jig?
  • joedaddyjoedaddy Posts: 69 Deckhand
    haven't you heard?? You light one end of it and toss it in the water, :machinegun then paddle over to collect your fish after the bubbles settle down:stinkfish