Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Dec. 26 Dania

Android77Android77 Senior MemberMiamiPosts: 499 Deckhand
Left the beach around 6:00 am trolled XRAPS out and picked up a 25# king and a mackerel. Worked out to 350 inside of that the water was real green. Found a real good rip in 350 but no fish and the current was 4knts to the north. On the way in the charter boat OUT OF THE BLUE tried to almost run me down and wound up my XRAPs in his props. I thought at least the paid professionals were better than that. I guess his mates a **** and cant set out lines without hands on instructions. Guy never saw me until he was right of my stern dont know how to get out of the way of a power boat quickly when im only making 2knts

Replies

• FLATS BROKEFLATS BROKE Senior Member Pompano Beach, FL.Posts: 2,060 Captain
    They get real close to you in Dania. I had a guy yesterday come out of no where and just post up within 25 yards of me and start fishing. '' ya got the whole ocean guy why do you have to post up next to the kayak''
  • Hudson3DHudson3D Junior Member Posts: 29 Greenhorn
    Frisbee wrote: »
    I joined your side Frisbee.
  • EricD1980EricD1980 Senior Member Davie, FlPosts: 183 Deckhand
    Saturday if pottmouth was not there i might have been hurt. I was jigging with my back to the beach when rob yelled behind you. A 40 foot sail boat was less than a 200 yards away and coming at me fast. I let out my loudest whisled icould and no change from the sail boat. Good thing the revo moves quick. The sail boat didnt even move for rob passing within 20 ft of him and that was even after he had seen me as he passed. If i didnt have a fishing partner that day there is a good chance i never would have herd the sail boat before it hit me. I felt spoked on that one. Keep you heads up. I am used to listening for power boats but those sail boats can sneak up on you
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Senior Member Fort LauderdalePosts: 590 Officer
    Took the boat out yesterday with the parents. Actually had a great time just driving around... I think I'm addicted. Trolled from port everglades all the way up to pompano stopping to jig at some wrecks along the way and nothing!. The weedline/rip was massive stretching the entire distance and no mahi were to be found and I literally marked like 5 fish the whole way trolling that line. Pompano produced nothing on the wrecks as well so I trolled back along the same weedline. Hooked into a larger bonita that put up quite a fight. Hit a few wrecks along lauderdale beach and got into some ceros. Pulled up a few and trolled some more. Found a huge patch of weeds that held a few small baitfish but no fish. Lack of fish but a beautiful day on the water. Some 5 ft swells coming in early died down to less than a ft early afternoon.
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Senior Member Ft Lauderdale, FlPosts: 498 Officer
    ^^^^ Found that same huge current rip/weedline yesterday in the yak with the same results. when i found it i was sure i was going to slay them. Trolled with ballyhoo, stopped and jigged but nothing. crazy
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends
  • PottymouthPottymouth Senior Member LantanaPosts: 1,547 Captain
    I went out yesterday last min.. Got out on the water about 10am.. Brought up 2 Spanish as I passed the pier.. Paddled out to 400 rippen current.. Paddled back in to 250 noticed something breaching the water.. A few min later I hear some boater scream out to me BIG shark behind u.. So I cut up one of my spanish macs and toss it in waiting for a ride... The boater came up to me to see if I needed anything/or to check if I was in distress.. To make a long story short it turned out to be a Big pod of dolfins.. As the boaters left the dolfins became more active swimming all around my kayak jumping around.. Never saw so many in one spot.. Then I had a small sunfish follow me around for a good hour... Crappy fishing but a great day on the water.
    sfkglogo.pngadrenalinelogo.pngjimyjigslogo.jpgaccuratelogo.png
  • CrstyCptSWitherspoonCrstyCptSWitherspoon Senior Member Fort LauderdalePosts: 590 Officer
    Glad to see I wasn't doing something wrong. I couldn't believe the size and length of that rip. I, too, was sure I'd find some mahi or tuna there but nothing at all trolling or jigging. Plenty of other people working that line too and they weren't catching anything.

Did move in close to the beach at one point for a wreck and saw another guy right over top of it. He was chumming. I made a few drops and nothing. All the sudden they start screaming and going on how they got a fish on. After all the excitement: Bonita. Hooks up again when he tossed back in the chum slick. Dude was trying to show off to me fighting and everything when I very loudly said to my dad "Great, more bonita, let's get the hell out of here before we catch more trash", turned the engine on and moved out.

Some people.....
  • drichard1986drichard1986 Senior Member Ft Lauderdale, FlPosts: 498 Officer
    ^^^ Funny Yesterday in about 150' i had a 8'-10' Hammerhead come up to my yak to check it out. scared the sh** out of me at first lol
    A bad day of fishing is better than a great day at work!! Tight lines my friends