De-wormed Amberjack on the smoker

My neighbor went fishing on Friday and came back with 53lb AJ, filleted and chunked it up and gave it to me to smoke. I didn't inspect it as it was in ice in a cooler. I made a brine and mixed it in and left it sit overnight. When i went to prep it for the smoker today, found it full of worms. Took me about an hour cleaning it out and threw away more than half of it.

I don't know how normal this is for big AJ's as i've never seen one that big before, always caught the 5 to 10 pounders and never seen worms in those.

My question is would you have any problem eating what is left? I probably have 15 lbs on the smoker now and i sure don't want to get anyone sick from eating the fish dip, cause that's all i intend to do with it is make it into a dip. Anybody got a take on this?

Replies

• jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I've seen it so bad that parts of the meat looked like angel hair pasta. Even if you were to ingest a smoked worm I doubt it would be harmful. I just hate to kill a big animal like that and throw so much away but if you've got it, eat it. It'll be good!
  • Art VandelayArt Vandelay Posts: 418 Officer
    yup, those worms although very gross are harmless to humans. They are pretty common in big AJ's. I heard that if you lay the fillet, meat side down over ice that the worms will crawl out... that is pretty gross too though.
  • Capt'n. ChumbucketCapt'n. Chumbucket Posts: 1,366 Officer
    My question is would you have any problem eating what is left? I probably have 15 lbs on the smoker now and i sure don't want to get anyone sick from eating the fish dip, cause that's all i intend to do with it is make it into a dip. Anybody got a take on this?

If we don't hear from you again, I hope you enjoyed it.
    Specializing in poor life choices since 1954.
  • mike_smike_s Posts: 415 Deckhand
    You will be fine with the remaining meat. I have done it for years and am still kicking and never a hint of illness. That being said.... the big AJ's (50+) that i have caught in the Atlantic all seem to have worms. As a result i dont keep them because its a waste to have to throw that much away and i hate picking through the fillets. AJ's I've caught in the Tortugas have had very few if any worms. Strawberry grouper is another that seems to be wormy.
  • doghouse1122doghouse1122 Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    Well, sorry to say after picking through the smoked chunks before putting them in the food processor i didn't do such a hot job cleaning the first go round. I was left with about 5 lbs of final smoked fish. As another poster said it sure was a waste of a big fish.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    I had a wormy one from the 'Tugas a few years ago...around 40 lbs.
  • yak_angleryak_angler Posts: 2,584 Captain
    the wormy ones are fine to eat; I just don't like the thought of it. I quit keeping the big ones for that reason.
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • Buccanr1Buccanr1 Posts: 437 Deckhand
    I grew up on the West Coast and we would only sometimes keep a smaller AJ only in desperate times. Groupers and trout can be full of worms too.
    Now I live on the East Coast and frequent the Bahamas. I was in the Bahamas through the Holidays and could have filled the boat with 60 to 80lb AJs. I asked a couple of locals if they wanted me to bring some home next time and they said "no man"..."We dont eat those, big or small"..."poison"
    Its strange that they will eat the **** out of barracuda but not touch the AJ's. Must be different between the Atlantic and Gulf AJ.
  • doghouse1122doghouse1122 Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    As a follow up to this post, and thanks to all those who provided insight, Not you Capt'n, I gave almost all the smoked dip to the guy who brought me the AJ. Kept a small container for my lovely wife and I, but oddly enough neither one of us was able to give it a go. She did help me with the final cleaning out of the worms. My neighbor who brought me the fish said it was great and was demolished at an after-christmas soiree....is that how you spell that? Go figure.