Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Christmas money :)

fishingkid315fishingkid315 Senior MemberSarasota,FlPosts: 1,955 Captain
Hey guys I have about. 100 or so in kayak mOney I have anchor, pfd, rod holder I'm not sure if there is anything you guys recommend thanks:fishing
Sarasota,Fl 
Fishing, Photography, Life

Replies

• palmbeachpetepalmbeachpete Senior Member SebastianPosts: 2,624 Captain
    Sounds like you are off to a good start. After a few trips out, you will find things that you will need for the kind of fishing you do.
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Senior Member Posts: 2,314 Captain
    Pup,
    I'll give ya some guidance. When you do decide what to get do not buy it right away....look at the prices for it in the stores and online. More than likely if you wait for a sale you can save a good percentage of the cost.
    You need to learn that lesson...money you can hang on to doubles when you do find a good deal...for instance Strike zone (that I really do not care for) had a sale on a fairly good set of pliers as a "gift idea" th epliers hasd an MSRP of $30 and were being sold for $10. Well you can be pretty sure that the MSRP was inflated so if you bought them then you saved about 50% off the price, and got a good serviceable pair of fish pliers.
    So get familiar to the market, Amazon,com is a great site to check prices and if you look at my thread about what is best to use to anchor rod holders to a yak you can see what I bought, all from Amazon.com/ And all of it was listed as "used" so it was another 20-40% off of the amazon price and there is no tax so you save another 5-8%, and then you must buy $25 worth to get free shipping. It is very economical.
    So please grow up now, and learn that habging on to money is better than spending it. Right now you don't need anything. When you go out in your boat and you see that you don't have something having money will be a blessing. Much better than having a do-dad you wanted to buy but don't need. Always have money.
  • jumboshrimpjumboshrimp Senior Member Port OrangePosts: 820 Officer
    you already have more than me and I've had my kayak for at least a couple months now. Frisbee gives good advice, hold onto that money. There really is nothing you "Need" at this point and a lot of the cool things you might end up wanting cost more than a hundred anyway so just hold out for some good sales and go fishing as much as possible, it won't take many trips before you start to see what might make your fishing easier or more enjoyable.
  • yak_angleryak_angler Senior Member miamiPosts: 2,585 Captain
    you're getting good advice here. keep it simple. go out and target the fish you will target most often. see how it goes, see what you wish you had and then see if you can make it cheaper than you can buy it. there are tons of pricey kayak gadgets out there that you can make in your garage for a 10th of the price.

that being said, if i recall correctly, you're pretty much an inshore angler. I'd add a small landing net to the list.
    5607_aa5e_zps24435aae.gif
  • thinfisherthinfisher Senior Member The SRQ Gator SwampPosts: 326 Officer
    This in an 8 foot model http://www.stickitanchorpins.com/ one of the best purchases I made when beginning kayak fishing about $85.00 at Economy Tackle.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Family, Friends and the Outdoors - Obama = PRICELESS
  • guido4198guido4198 Senior Member Posts: 2,256 Captain
    I'm also going to recommend a stake-out pole for inshore fishing. I've never felt the need for an anchor fishing the shallow "backwaters" like I do.
    To save money on my stake-out pole, I took an extendable aluminium boat pole and cut the "boat-hook" thing off the side of the tip. If you don't have one of these laying around, you can pick one up @ Wally-World for something like 15.00-20.00 bucks. WORKS GREAT...!!! 3 years, doing a LOT of inshore yak-fishing and I never felt the need to replace it with one of the "official" ( read: expensive) manufactured stake-out poles available.
  • fishingkid315fishingkid315 Senior Member Sarasota,FlPosts: 1,955 Captain
    Thanks Man!
    guido4198 wrote: »
    I'm also going to recommend a stake-out pole for inshore fishing. I've never felt the need for an anchor fishing the shallow "backwaters" like I do.
    To save money on my stake-out pole, I took an extendable aluminium boat pole and cut the "boat-hook" thing off the side of the tip. If you don't have one of these laying around, you can pick one up @ Wally-World for something like 15.00-20.00 bucks. WORKS GREAT...!!! 3 years, doing a LOT of inshore yak-fishing and I never felt the need to replace it with one of the "official" ( read: expensive) manufactured stake-out poles available.
    Sarasota,Fl 
    Fishing, Photography, Life
  • FrisbeeFrisbee Senior Member Posts: 2,314 Captain
    any pipe can be your stake out pole...try a piece of schedule 40 pvc..or a brick on a string