Christmas Dinner?

FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
Christmas Dinner?

Lamb.

Personally I can't come up with anything better.

Replies

• flhookerflhooker Posts: 300 Officer
    Pizza after fishing!!!
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    I have two I'm doing.

Saturday, the Inlaws and BIL are coming over for the game as well as Christmas for the kids. We have always celebrated Christmas with them on Christmas Eve. So, we're/I'm going to keep it informal with the game and all. Friday night at 10pm, a 9# butt goes on the egg for game time Saturday, 11am. It will be cold, around 10° overnight. We have 6-8" of snow coming later tonight. But, with a BGE, not a problem. I'll put it on before bed and tend to it in the morning. I'll get it injected with Mojo tomorrow and the first coat of rub.

This was the last overnight I did:

Done19513hours.jpg

Then, we'll do the family Christmas in the morning and then another late afternoon with all my brothers and nephews. For that, all I had to do is make up the sauces for the fondu meat. Our tradition is fondu, many forks, a couple of pots, a lot of conversation interrupted by eating. It's a lot of fun and easy to do, very informal as well. It's good stuff and a once a year thing for all of us.

Looking forward to it, Merry Christmas Everyone!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    Still trying to decide smoked turkey(it would be my first) or the old standby deep fried turkey.
    T Top wrote: »
    Still trying to decide smoked turkey(it would be my first) or the old standby deep fried turkey.

Here's an idea, can you do both?

I've never had a deep fried turkey. But, I've had smoked turkey. Since they are both very different in terms of the cook, I'd love to know what the folks at the table think in a side by side. Of course, pics are required ;)

If I can help on the smoke side, just holler and I'll do what I can.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • ZweyknotZweyknot Posts: 45 Greenhorn
    Boston butt and venison loin on the BGE, home-made Mac and cheese, salad, and a coconut cream pie. The beauty of dinner at my house- I select the menu
  • T TopT Top Posts: 3,706 Captain
    Abelman wrote: »

I've never had a deep fried turkey. But, I've had smoked turkey. Since they are both very different in terms of the cook, I'd love to know what the folks at the table think in a side by side. Of course, pics are required ;)

I have been considering that, one of the problems is that for Christmas we have always kept it to immediate family, so there won't be enough of us for both.

If you have never had a deep fried turkey, you need to go to Lowes tomorrow and buy a turket fryer, get a 13 lb bird, thaw it, inject it with cajun creole butter, and fry for 3 min per lb at 350-375. Carve her up and be prepared to slap yer mamma, because it is just that good.

BTW... make sure that nobody that will eat it has peanut allergies and fry it in peanut oil, if you can't do that do it in lard. At the Lowes/Home Depots here you can get the 20 lb bottles of either. Sounds bad but the flavor is worth it.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    Venison roast
  • AllenRAllenR Posts: 2,702 Captain
    I WAS doing a standing rib roast in the BGE for Christmas day. My father in law said he had one in the freezer, not to buy one. Wife brings it home, and it is wrapped in about 15 layers of plastic and blue painters tape. Red flag alarms went off immediately. I asked her how long it had been in their freezer, she said her dad said .."not very long"...

I thawed it for a day in the fridge to get the 3 miles of plastic off, to find a freezer burned piece of meat with a date of no other than.....2006
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,162 AG
    Abelman and I must be thinking the same. Actually this will be more for my Step Son, whose wife is a Vegan. He doesn't see much BBQ, unless he comes up here.
    I'll be doing a turkey breast when Cher's mom arrives and she will be doing a ham in the oven. Gonna have some great sammies if any of it is left.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • wilsontintwilsontint Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Doing italian 7 seas dinner here.
  • DudeDude Posts: 1,789 Officer
    I am cooking a 18 & 3/4 pound stainding rib roast. I may cook it in the oven or may cook it on the grill. Not too sure it will fit in the oven...
    DUDE!
    2meanfish1.gif
  • PhishingPhanaticPhishingPhanatic Posts: 454 Deckhand
    We are having a standing rib roast for Christmas Eve, and trying a Turducken for the first time for Christmas dinner.
  • BColleyBColley Posts: 419 Deckhand

I did all 3 at Thanksgiving Smoked, fried, and roasted. I brined both the fried and smoked in the same brine and they came out great. Both were moist and delicious. The roasted was done by my mom and it is always good but it doesnt hold a candle to the fried or smoked. In order of taste my preference was smoked then fried.

For Christmas we are doing a roasted turkey and a smoked spiral cut ham on the Egg. The ham is precooked but reheating it with a pineaple jam and dry rub mixture, and smoked for a few hours I can't wait. It will be a first so I'm crossing my fingers.
    JBC

Chaos Tarpon Bay
    Ocean Master 31
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    I think im gonna fire up the lacajachina and cook a nice pig roast :~) , Happy Holidays ..
    Here's what I'll be working with tomorrow night, we got a foot of snow last night and it's 25° now. Tonight and tomorrow night, we should have lows around 0°. The butt is going on the BGE tomorrow night at 10pm. Perfect BGE weather:

weather.jpg

Just got a 9# butt injected with Badia Mojo, and rubbed up with some Magic Dust. Sitting in the fridge all wrapped up waiting for tomorrow night.
  • tankardtankard Posts: 6,920 Admiral
    Food looks great.

I think your dogs want to come in.
  • catfishincatfishin Posts: 976 Officer
    We are having a standing rib roast for Christmas Eve, and trying a Turducken for the first time for Christmas dinner.

You're gonna love that turducken !!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Friday night -- a late supper due to arrival times being late = prime rib roast -- Paula Dean's method. loaded baked and garden salad

Sat. night -- broasted chicken - broasted "Checkers" french fries - broasted Vidallia onion rings.

Christmas -- bitter orange injected 22 pound turkey on the egg ---- Bourbon injected spirel ham on the gasser ---- pork rib roast on the egg --- turkey sides.
    Charlie, looks and sounds Great. :thumbsup

I see you also did some gasket work on the Egg. I have the same one as well sitiing in the garage. Have to wait for the spring freeze to put it on. I assume you left the top clean and non gasketed? Kind of hard to tell from the pic and my old eyes.
  • doghouse1122doghouse1122 Posts: 98 Greenhorn
    I have two I'm doing.

hen, we'll do the family Christmas in the morning and then another late afternoon with all my brothers and nephews. For that, all I had to do is make up the sauces for the fondu meat. Our tradition is fondu, many forks, a couple of pots, a lot of conversation interrupted by eating. It's a lot of fun and easy to do, very informal as well. It's good stuff and a once a year thing for all of us.

Looking forward to it, Merry Christmas Everyone!

Hey Abelman - Just curious what meat do you fondu and what do you fondu it in? Oil - Broth ?
    Hey Abelman - Just curious what meat do you fondu and what do you fondu it in? Oil - Broth ?

The easiest is top sirloin. I just have the butcher cube it up for us. It's ~$6 a lb so it works well for a large group. We use two pots and use vegatable oil in them. Some people use peanut oil but the veggie oil works fine for us. The real trick is the dipping sauces. That's where everything comes together.

I usually make 2 or 3 different sauces. One is always hot/spicy as my brothers and I like the heat.

We've been doing this for 10+ years or so.
  • dusky203dusky203 Posts: 617 Officer
    Standing rib roast in oven right now. Turkey for tomorrow in brine and will hit oven in the morning. Then a big ole ham for sunday.......

Expensive cooking weekend!

Iceman
  • Mud RangerMud Ranger Posts: 354 Deckhand
    Am trying something new this year...

5 pound beef tenderloin roast tomorrow on my BGE at 375 degrees until internal temp is about 135. Then on goes yellar & zuch squash followed by bacon wrapped scallops. Pies from Cracker Barrel. Dutch Oven made bread.

Today going to do a BGE version of low country broil...w/o the broil :grin

Shrimp, sausage, corn, sliced red taters & small sweet onions :)

Merry Christmas to all!
    Mud Ranger wrote: »
    Am trying something new this year...

5 pound beef tenderloin roast tomorrow on my BGE at 375 degrees until internal temp is about 135. Then on goes yellar & zuch squash followed by bacon wrapped scallops. Pies from Cracker Barrel. Dutch Oven made bread.

Today going to do a BGE version of low country broil...w/o the broil :grin

Shrimp, sausage, corn, sliced red taters & small sweet onions :)

Merry Christmas to all!

Pics will be required, you know that, right?

Sounds great!
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    I have some snow crab and a standing rib roast that I think I'll do in my new Masterbuilt electric smoker.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 4,554 Moderator
    Spiral Cut Ham from Sam's, and a Beef Wellington
    Well, I did the Christmas Eve dinner for the inlaws, et al. We were watching the Bronco game which turned into a complete disaster. At least the food didn't. I did a 9# butt so we could keep it causal and just kind of grab food when needed during the game.

So, this is why I bought the BGE and another reason why I love it. It's been cold out here. We got a foot of snow a couple days ago. The over night lows have been around 0° lately. So, I injected the butt with Badia Mojo on Thursday. Put a good coat of Magic Dust rub on it as well. Wrapped it up and into the fridge.

I fired up the BGE to 240° at 7pm Friday night. I put the butt on at 8pm. Watched some hocky and at least we won. Went to bed around 11pm. Got up the next morning, butt was still in the plateau reading 149°. The plan was to get it done by noon, rested and lunch at halftime/or 1pm. Worked like a charm. Wish the Broncos would have as well. It was not a good day for Tebow, the defense, the special teams, etc. But, at least the food was good and the beer was cold.

P.S. I didn't mop, add more rub, etc. I never opened the lid until we hit 195° internal and then an hour rest. Moist, tender and full of flavor. When my BIL took his first taste, he loved it so much, I was worried he'd never go home. I like him and all but we don't need a border in the house.

pp1.jpg

pp.jpg

Merry Christmas Everyone.....
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,177 Admiral
    Roasted pig last night.

Today rib roast going into the oven as I prepare oysters appetizers for baking and awaiting the arrival of Bonephish and his lovely.

IMG_0080.jpg