Low Country Boil

I've been doing them for years and have put differents kinds of crabs, lobster, mussels, clams, etc... along with the usual taters, corn, onions, and sausages.
Anybody do this and if so what do you like in yours?
P8260478.jpgPB300094-1.jpg

Replies

• I FA DATI FA DAT Posts: 553 Officer
    Looks great last time we threw very fresh blue crab halves in with the normal Shrimp, sausage, corn, onion, potatoes. Is that sausage that lost it's casing on the bottom of the pic?
  • Native FloridianNative Floridian Posts: 702 Officer
    Yes, that's a piece of andouille sausage. Looks a little rough in that picture, but man is it good in there. I do like fresh blue crabs in it too.
  • tfranko29tfranko29 Posts: 62 Deckhand
    that looks dang good!!!
    Thanks. It really is a fun thing to do. I cook it all in one pot all together and vary the times to add the different stuff. I get the pot boiling with a couple three boxes of crab boil, some kosher salt, onions, lemons, bay leaves, and whatever else I feel like throwing in it at the time along with the taters. After they boil for about 5 minutes or so I add the corn and then the sausage. Let it do it's thing for another 5 to 7 minutes, and then its time for the seafood.
    I never do get the amount of stuff right and so by this time there isn't even enough room to add another shrimp. I usually do 5 pounds of shrimp, 100 middle neck clams, 50 mussels, a dozen ears of corn broke into thirds or halves, 2 pounds of smoked Kielbosa sausage, 2 pounds of andouille sausage, 2 or 3 pounds of taters, ( I like the different colored little gourmet taters, looks perty), and whatever crabs and lobsters I have or can get.
    I made that cutting board out of a piece of starboard and cut it 48" X 30" and used a router to cut the groove around the edge to keep the juices from running down your lap.
    When its all done, drain it good and dump the whole thing out on the cutting board and get after it...nothing fancy!
  • IshIsh Posts: 797 Officer
    Man that looks tasty !!!
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    Looks great!
    I love to make that. I add alot of garlic (Chopped in half) to smear on the bread with the squeezy butter near by. Never crabs, but will add them next time.

Recently made a small stove top version for a 2-3 person meal. Just a couple/few of everything. Having a bit of everything in the house at one time is the challange. Usually means a trip to publix on the way home from the office.

Although it is great to prepare for the masses and goes perfect next to a large cooler of ice cold beer, it is also nice to make just enough on any given weeknight to feed the family.
    Most importantly it is nice to give the Mrs a night off while cooking up something fun.
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • JeepDiverJeepDiver Posts: 704 Officer
    Garlic, Mushrooms (soaks up all the spice). You can also do Cauliflower, and artichokes. If you have non-seafood eaters (crazy I know), throw a whole chicken in after everything else is finished and let it boil for a while. Give the chicken a lot of flavor
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    Well, it's not a low country boil but it's the best I can do. So, I'll just post it as it's one of my favorite meals:

Served-5.jpg

I'm liking this thread though. Giving me some ideas. Plus, it's not nearly as seasonal as the bugs are.

JD has me thinking about some stuff as well, Thanks guys!
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
    Abelman wrote: »
    Well, it's not a low country boil but it's the best I can do. So, I'll just post it as it's one of my favorite meals:

Served-5.jpg

I'm liking this thread though. Giving me some ideas. Plus, it's not nearly as seasonal as the bugs are.

JD has me thinking about some stuff as well, Thanks guys!

What time do I need to be over :)
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    When we do them we use all the items above going to have to try the Mushrooms, Cauliflower(yuck), and artichokes to try out. The chicken sounds great as well. I also like that tabel you made out of starboard, we just thow down some newspaper and go to town. We actually use the turkey fryer and do it outdoors and use tons of Old Bay..........mmmmm
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
  • Go MongoGo Mongo Posts: 2,107 Captain
    This may be the best thread ever.:p
    “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway, The Old Man and the Sea
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Whats the secret to buying good blue crabs?? I got a couple dozen and they didn't have any meat in them ?? I know Maine lobsters will flush their insides out if not treated right after they are captured -- do blue crabs do the same thing ?? They were all alive...............
    I like it, some good ideas to try next time. I've done Main Lobstaas in it and its pretty [email protected] good. As for when to get blue crabs, get the week of the full moon. They're more filled out then.
  • charlie tunacharlie tuna Posts: 730 Officer
    Thanks, I'll try that ....
    century7 wrote: »
    and use tons of Old Bay..........mmmmm

Zataran's Pro Boil. Old Bay is for them northen folk
  • century7century7 Posts: 2,410 Captain
    JeepDiver wrote: »

I will have to try that next time. Thanks for the suggestion. I am a native of Florida so if you have any local seasonings let me know.
    It works 60% of the time all the time......
    I agree...Zatarains crab and shrimp boil in regular and hot & spicy!
    I agree...Zatarains crab and shrimp boil in regular and hot & spicy!

This is the stuff you want, best they make

7142901748_full.jpg
    This is the stuff you want, best they make

7142901748_full.jpg

I haven't tried that one, but have tried the other liquid one they had/have years ago and didn't like it. To me it had an after-taste or something so I just stuck with the dry pouches.
    I'll give it a shot though.
  • ruskinredneckruskinredneck Posts: 1,121 Officer
    This is the correct answer.
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    C'mon now Maryland is still south of the line. I love me some Old Bay. I actually use zatarans and old bay together though for the best of both worlds. JO #2 is good as well. It's disappointing when I go to other's LCB and they dont use enough old bay or whatever their seasoning of choice is. I like my water red like hot lava!
    I make mine spicy as well and have also used both Old Bay and Zatarains in the LCB as well as just boiling crabs and shrimp in both.
  • BooDreauxOnRadioBooDreauxOnRadio Posts: 118 Officer
    Old Bay = Spawn of Satan...........YUCK!!!

:puke

Joyeux Noel & Bon Annee'

Allons Manger to All
    John "BooDreaux" Baumann
    Fishing Florida Radio Show
    Saturdays
    Orlando 740theGame 6-9a EDT
    Panama City 94.5FM 6-8aCDT
    The Keys Thunder Country 100.3FM 6-9a EDT
    Florida's Largest Fishing/Outdoor Radio Show
    407-916-8255/800-729-8255
    Old Bay = Spawn of Satan...........YUCK!!!

:puke

Joyeux Noel & Bon Annee'

Allons Manger to All

Funny. So you're sayin Justin Wilson would have never used it I gare-ron-teee!
    Miss him on TV.
    C'mon now Maryland is still south of the line. I love me some Old Bay.!

From someone who lived in Northern VA outside of DC and went to Md a lot, I can assure you sir, neither of those places are the South. Get down to about Richmond and your in the South, but north of that on 95 and you are in Yankee land. As for proof there is no sweet tea at 95% or the resturants, and you can not find a waffle house.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    Funny. So you're sayin Justin Wilson would have never used it I gare-ron-teee!
    Miss him on TV.

Nothing wrong with Old Bay. I use it in one of my Rib Rubs.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • sharkatak1089sharkatak1089 Posts: 6,407 Officer
    pretty sure you're right on the money, native.

maybe mas camarones, but that's it
    I am choice.
    Please don't try to interject with reason, it only further confuses the matter.
    pretty sure you're right on the money, native.

maybe mas camarones, but that's it
    Agree, can't have too many!
  • wilsontintwilsontint Posts: 62 Deckhand
    Please PM with recipe for above. thx
  • JoshAaron91685JoshAaron91685 Posts: 723 Officer
    From someone who lived in Northern VA outside of DC and went to Md a lot, I can assure you sir, neither of those places are the South. Get down to about Richmond and your in the South, but north of that on 95 and you are in Yankee land. As for proof there is no sweet tea at 95% or the resturants, and you can not find a waffle house.

You must have been in the wrong parts. Like saying Florida isnt part of the south because you've been to Miami.

I'm talking about farmland(which I admit is quickly disappearing in MD) and the people there. Its sweet tea and fried everything there just like it is here. Oddly enough the best bbq this southern boy has ever put in his mouth was in MD.