Nematode help

FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
[PHP][/PHP]

What's the best way to deal with nematodes in a veg garden in the south of the state?

Any chemical treatments? I'm under the impression that there are only chemicals for ag producers, not home gardeners.

As for solarization, what's the best color plastic, black or clear, and does that mean absolutely clear, or grayish?

Anyone have any good resources to link to?

thanks

Replies

• pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    thanks, pupraiser. Lots of valuable info in there. I had no idea about measuring the temp and then turning and cooking lower soil depths, but it's obviously key. The N resistant plants didn't help me much when I tried them, so I'll just be growing lots of brocolli and lettuce and other stuff that don't seem to get bugged that bad until I can solarize next spring and summer. Thanks again.
  • pupraiserpupraiser Posts: 10,261 AG
    Welcome. I've never had an issue and learned a lot as well. I hope it works for you.
  • FlashFlash Posts: 11,121 AG
    ....and don't plant Okra.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    Veggies that I've found resistant are brocolli, lettuces, greenbeans (pretty good, not totally resistant), cauliflower, peppers, onions, tomatillos.

Strawberries I have up in 3' x 6' x 3' wooden boxes.
  • RedRichRedRich Posts: 246 Deckhand
    Marigolds seem to repel some types of nematodes like the damaging root knot nematode. Plant them near your tomatoes.
  • reelhookerreelhooker Posts: 644 Officer
    Lady bugs or try light soapy water sprayed directly onto the plant.
  • jakedgejakedge Posts: 1,303 Officer
    Good info Pup. I always thought I was getting the soil hotter with black plastic as opposed to clear.