Home Conservation Forums

Pinfish trap?

I would like to know if it's illegal to lay your own personal pinfish trap for personal use only. not for sale. Any info would be appreciated....:huh
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,284 Moderator
    Yes you can. Nothing illegal about pinfish traps. What gave you the idea that it might be illegal
  • Art VandelayArt Vandelay Posts: 418 Officer
    very legal. If you put one in mosquito lagoon though, your pins will get raided by jerks who think they are fisherman.
  • lino420lino420 Posts: 31 Deckhand
    Lol. Thanks for the heads up. Do I have to put some info on my trap or can I just place it anywhere with a bouy tied up to it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capttimcapttim Posts: 39 Greenhorn
    Pinfish traps not exceeding 2 feet in any dimension, with a throat or entrance not exceeding 3 inches in height by 3/4 inch in width may be used to harvest baitfish in saltwater.

Use a buoy - There is no requirement that a buoy be placed on the trap, but it is recommended in order to prevent the loss of the trap.

Attach your contact information - It is also suggested that some form of owner contact information is attached to the trap itself.

Buy a saltwater fishing license - You need a recreational saltwater fishing license, unless your are otherwise exempt. Exemptions are listed online at http://myfwc.com/license/recreational/do-i-need-a-license.
  • Circle-HookCircle-Hook Posts: 503 Officer
    Thieves are the problem- Suggest you come with some way to concele your trap(s) as they will be empty at best and moved at worse. I tie 2 together with a 30' piece of sinking rope, then drop the 30' apart with rope pulled tight. Mark carefully both spots on GPS - no bouys- retreve with a grappling hook type anchor dragged between to GPS marks. As soon as you get the trap line in the boat, cleat it off quick or the drifting boat pulling against second trap will make things difficult. Even if someone sees you do this it is very diffcult to locate traps without GPS marks, forget one of the marks and you will quickly see how difficult. I tie my rope to a corner in the middle of a side of the trap, opposite the door. When you pull trap up, bait is all collected down by the door.
    Where I fish - pinfish bring a $1 each so there are folks who steal your and everybody elses they can find - working after dark. Bouys show up real good on a smooth night when hit with a spot light.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,284 Moderator
    I use an empty 20 oz soda bottle tied off with a piece of mono to the main line which is weighted and sunk. I mark the spot with my GPS. Pull the bottle and mono till you get to the main line, then pull the trap. This bottle, to the casual observer, looks like floatsum in the water.