Does Anyone have an opinion on Smokers

2»

Replies

• ChuckcChuckc Posts: 4,398 Captain
    I really wanted a Stumps but decided to go with something just a little cheaper. I now smoke my goods on the ECB (Brinkmann Smoke and Grill) which comes at the princely sum of $38.

It does require a bit of management but hey, what do you expect for that kind of coin?
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    At one time I had 3 smokers at the same time, the offset box model, R2D2 charcoal, and the propane box. I threw the R2D2 out in the trash, don't get me wrong, I had many years use out of it, it was rusting out. I gave the offset to my buddy. And now I only use the propane smoker. I can run it 180-275% no problem. I would get the bigger model if I were to make that choice again.. I can smoke 4 pork shoulders at a time, or about 40 lbs of fish. It has 4 shelves.

The one I have...
    265x265px-LS-527e442f_1733510045_3405GLA+side-closed+320.jpg

The bigger model...
    41gngosaa0l.jpg
    (about 30% larger)
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
  • JeepDiverJeepDiver Posts: 704 Officer
    got ants? wrote: »
    At one time I had 3 smokers at the same time, the offset box model, R2D2 charcoal, and the propane box. I threw the R2D2 out in the trash, don't get me wrong, I had many years use out of it, it was rusting out. I gave the offset to my buddy. And now I only use the propane smoker. I can run it 180-275% no problem. I would get the bigger model if I were to make that choice again.. I can smoke 4 pork shoulders at a time, or about 40 lbs of fish. It has 4 shelves.

The one I have...
    265x265px-LS-527e442f_1733510045_3405GLA+side-closed+320.jpg

The bigger model...
    41gngosaa0l.jpg
    (about 30% larger)

I've had the smaller one for 7-8 years and it is the easiest thing to use out there. You can leave it overnight (never had a flame blow out). And I can bet most would be hard pressed to tell the finished product from one that was done with lump.
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    JeepDiver wrote: »
    And I can bet most would be hard pressed to tell the finished product from one that was done with lump.

I would agree with JD. There is all kinds of different ways to achieve the same outcome with smoking. Some are easier, some are harder. We all know, it's as much art as it is science.

At the end of the day, just find the one that seems most comfortable and master it.

I've done gas and charcoal, after all was said and done, I just like the charcoal deal for where I am and how I do things. I would just ad, either charcoal or gas will give you the most advantage in terms of temperature control. With electric, a lot of them do not give you the advantage of adjusting your temperature ranges like the other two do. That's a bigger issue with fish and poulty.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • OnewolfOnewolf Posts: 657 Officer
    I've got the large size propane Great Old Smokey Mountain (GOSM). Works great. Costs about $150.

It looks exactly like the larger Masterbilt Got Ants posted.
    *** Tidewater 2100 Yamaha F150 ***
    *** Native Watercraft Magic 14.5 ***
    *** www.onewolf.org ***
  • JeepDiverJeepDiver Posts: 704 Officer
    Abelman wrote: »
    I would agree with JD. There is all kinds of different ways to achieve the same outcome with smoking. Some are easier, some are harder..

I will say that I haven't smoked anything this winter yet so we will have to see how it works here in CO but for FL and 95% of the year in NOVA there were no issues
  • WildLinesWildLines Posts: 551 Officer
    Electric is the way to go. Propane sucks **** for smoking.

These are the ****: www.cookshack.com

Yup. We have 4 in the family, mine is 12 years old and going strong. These are dummy proof and produce excellent smoked food.
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,318 Admiral
    Propane has its place. Ex: home cured bacon that has to be smoke at super low temps so the fat isnt rendered out. I use a smoke box with a pan of hickory sawdust over propane burner. Set the temp and let it smoke. Cant get that low of a temp in a traditional smoker of any type. I havent found an electric smoker yet that will let you get down to 165-175 but still put oout smoke
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • got ants?got ants? Posts: 9,140 Officer
    hoonline, I did a jerk season bacon, but there was a problem,,,, I DIDN'T MAKE ENOUGH!!! I found the best way to do this is a combination of three methods..

I didn't put the bacon in until the wood had actually started smoking.
    Even though the burner was set on low, I manually lowered the flame more by closing the valve on the tank a bit.
    In between smokes, I pulled the bacon out and put it in the fridge.

After 4 or 5 smokes at 160-170%, it was the bomb!
    tffflogocopy_zps48a02f99.jpg
    Jerk season isnt the same as taking a pork belly, curing it for a week, smoking it at a max temp of 180 until it reaches an internal temp of 150. Takes about 10-12 hrs.
    Not knocking what you did by any stretch. Point is its hard to do on a tradtional smoker unles its a big one or a propane based smoke box
    Smoking is def an art and a labor of love. Takes a lot of patience and desire to play with flavors, times, temps, and different meats.
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

• FlashFlash Posts: 11,144 AG
    Yes, propane models stink:

Ribsfallapart0077.jpg

LongBone_9867.jpg

VenisonShoulder052.jpg

Pulled0023.jpg

RoastDone017.jpg

LBCarved0015.jpg

EyeRoundFB0011.jpg

Butt_5_HR0001.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    hooknline wrote: »
    Propane has its place. Ex: home cured bacon that has to be smoke at super low temps so the fat isnt rendered out. I use a smoke box with a pan of hickory sawdust over propane burner. Set the temp and let it smoke. Cant get that low of a temp in a traditional smoker of any type. I havent found an electric smoker yet that will let you get down to 165-175 but still put oout smoke

Plus, you lose power in a storm or hurricane, afterwards I can still smoke up some meat.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Well you can still cook with wood if push comes to shove.

• Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,192 Officer
    King_Me wrote: »
    That was a waste! [re: smoked wahoo] Last time I did that it tasted like crap! Gotta be a nice oily fish like mackerel or sailfish.

I disagree. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've smoked wahoo. It's decent by itself, but the bulk is usually destined to be a very tasty dip. Mind you, this is after I've had my fill of sashimi and grilled or steamed filets.

And it's not just oily fish that are good smoked. Have ya tried smoked swordfish? Fantastic! With a maple and cayenne glaze... wow.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
    hooknline wrote: »
    Well you can still cook with wood if push comes to shove.

Tell that to someone in Miami. ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Pressure treated burns too. I kid. Dont ever cook with pt unless you like being dead. Then again it is Miami. Maybe i wasnt kidding

• JoshWJoshW Posts: 523 Officer
    JKP wrote: »
    Big Green Egg.

What he said. I make the best smoked anything on my EGG.
  • wilsontintwilsontint Posts: 62 Deckhand
    you could always get a mans smoker

100_6505.jpg

I have one of those too but, alas....... bigger.
  • bullgatorbullgator Posts: 1,940 Officer
    I broke in the Masterbuilt digital this weekend. I'd never smoked on an electric before but all-in-all I was very happy. Temperature control was flawless as expected. It produced lots of good clean smoke from very little wood (chips). Ribs and chicken came out as good or better than my old charcoal smoker would make, and it made it with much less effort. An electric was my only real choice in my apartment courtyard, but so far so good. It's nice to be able to make BBQ again.
  • mako191mako191 Posts: 55 Greenhorn
    CatBox wrote: »
    Thanks for the pointer everyone! This will be my first smoker, so I am not sure I am ready to spend a grand at this point.

I started smoking with the original masterbuilt electric smoker, It worked well but had no damper and seemed to steam more than smoke, The newer ones have a much better door seal and a damper and I purchased one for a son in law and he loves it. Electric temp setting is so easy and then just add smoke chips.
    I upgraded to a big gren egg and my other smokers and grills are jealous as I never use them anymore, everything is done on the egg, Pizza, steak, porkchps, Rib Roast, Ribs of all kinds , chicken and fish as well as turkeys. whatever you choose enjoy and smoke em up!
  • Little RascalLittle Rascal Posts: 174 Officer
    There has been a problem in the past with heater element failure with Masterbuilt. I had it happen recently with mine. Took the back cover off and found a corroded wire that attaches to the element. I am going to attempt a repair my self, but if it doesn't work, I am tempted to go with a propane smoker. Check out this site of people that have had the same problem: http://www.fixya.com/support/t1149202-element_heat_masterbuilt_smoker

LR
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,675 AG
    I'm jacked, just arrived today.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    MJ,

Nice, now get to work and get her seasoned up.

Congrats, you'll end up loving it!!

P.S. if you go higher temps for grilling and such, make sure you burp it as you open it. Just open it an inch or two for a couple-few seconds and then you can open it all the way. If you don't, there's a chance the fire will come out to greet you. It's kind of a back draft thing I guess.
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • hatcityhatcity Posts: 3,079 Captain
    Don't do no good sittin back there.
    Get some stuff on it.
    Congrats. Some day maybe i can get one
    I was not born stupid, just had lots of practice