Does Anyone have an opinion on Smokers

CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain
Hi guys,

I am going to get myself a food smoker for Christmas, and I know absolutely noting about them.

Should I get an electric, charcoal or propane one?

Would I be pizzing my money away if I get this one???

http://www.lowes.com/pd_47548-58355-20070511_4294857758_4294937087_?productId=3511469&Ns=p_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr|0||p_product_qty_sales_dollar|1&pl=1&currentURL=%2Fpl_Smokers_4294857758_4294937087_%3FNs%3Dp_product_prd_lis_ord_nbr%7C0%7C%7Cp_product_qty_sales_dollar%7C1&facetInfo=

THANKS guys!!!

Replies

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,476 AG
    I bought that smoker, except it's charcoal last year for $69. It works like a dream and produces excellent food although it's a little work to keep the temps correct.
    Vote for the other candidate
  • JKPJKP Posts: 2,920 Captain
    Big Green Egg.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    Split Shot wrote: »
    I smoke responsibly.:rolleyes
    Tater the hater.
    No such thing. :Bike

For cooking I hate to say gas or electric but I ain't babysitting a smoldering fire all day either.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • FlyLowFlyLow Posts: 610 Officer
    I wouldn't recommend the Masterbilt myself, I owned one and it quit working in less than a year. I do have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I would highly recommend, it's easy to learn and you'll not need to babysit the charcoal as with some of the other smokers....

http://virtualweberbullet.com/tour.html
  • AbelmanAbelman Posts: 1,853 Captain
    For that money, this is what I would get. This is what I started on, has two levels, can run it on charcoal or gas or both if need be. Can even use it as a grill as well.

It's made by Masterbuilt but Cabelas puts their deal on it. I smoke on a Big Green Egg now, but I still have that setup which I still use every so often. I started doing the Thanksgiving Turkey on that setup. Still use the base for crawfish boils as well.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Premium-Stainless-Steel-7-in-1-CookerSmoker/732396.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch%2F%3FN%3D%26No%3D20%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dsmoker%26Ntx%3Dmode%252Bmatchallpartial%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26WTz_st%3D%26WTz_stype%3DSP%26form_state%3DsearchForm%26search%3Dsmoker%26searchTypeByFilter%3DAllProducts&Ntt=smoker&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • micci_manmicci_man Somewhere in FLPosts: 12,723 AG
    Common Sense can't be bought, taught or gifted, yet it is one of the few things in life that is free, and most refuse to even attempt to possess it. - Miguel Cervantes
  • FlyLowFlyLow Posts: 610 Officer
    Cat the Big Green Egg boys are right, if you could afford to spend upwards of $1k (nowadays??) that 's the smoker I'd get. I have a couple of friends who have them and absolutely love 'em.
  • CatBoxCatBox Posts: 3,709 Captain
    Thanks for the pointer everyone! This will be my first smoker, so I am not sure I am ready to spend a grand at this point.
  • captinmitchcaptinmitch Posts: 5,807 Admiral
    I've had all three. Strongly suggest a gas one. Consistently produces a superior product. Remember, nobody buys Charcoal Smoked anything. All the charcoal does is heat the flavoring wood.
  • Uncle BuckUncle Buck Posts: 1,192 Officer
    Coincidentally, I just smoked a batch of wahoo last night. I have the Brinkman Gourmet Electric. Works great, but no temp control or thermometer. It's either on or off. But that's not much of a problem. It will reach 235°, which is a bit hot for smoking fish, but I can keep it at about 200° by aiming a small fan at it. (it's on my patio) For a temp gauge, I drilled a 1/8" hole in the side of the lid, and insert the probe of a digital thermometer half-way in.
    Meanwhile, on the little fiberglass boat Uncle Buck...
  • King_MeKing_Me Posts: 5,311 Admiral
    Uncle Buck wrote: »
    Coincidentally, I just smoked a batch of wahoo last night.

That was a waste! Last time I did that it tasted like crap! Gotta be a nice oily fish like mackerel or sailfish.
    I've had all three. Strongly suggest a gas one. Consistently produces a superior product. Remember, nobody buys Charcoal Smoked anything. All the charcoal does is heat the flavoring wood.

So, you're saying something cooked/grilled/smoked with charcoal and someting cooked/grilled/smoked with gas will taste the same? Take a burger or steak for example.

You know as well as I do, charcoal imparts smoke that gas never will. The key after that is what type of wood do you want to add, mild fruit woods, oak, hickory, etc. That's all part of the recipe.

Plus, with charcoal, I don't have to worry about a flame blowing out :)

P.S. isn't charcoal wood anyway?
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem" Ronald Reagan 1985
  • spinfreakspinfreak Posts: 5,204 Admiral
    Bradley all the way. Worth every penny. Anybody that has smoked on one, or has eaten food smoked on one, will agree
    Exiled Dungeon Master of The Freakshow :cool:
    YOU NEED PROFESSIONAL HELP! Seriously. Do it for yourself and loved ones. You have issues
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    For personal use I'd get the small electric Masterbuilt, and if you like to entertain small groups of 10 - 20 I would get the 40" one in gas.
  • CoxsterCoxster Posts: 3,086 Captain
    If you go with gas, you might as well stay in the kitchen with the other ladies.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 27,476 AG

:drink
    Vote for the other candidate
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Go with an offset smokebox. You won't regret it! If you have land or a truck get branches about as thick as your arm and you don't even need charcoal. Tastes better too!

Something like this:

1_1_10201571-50_regular.jpg

That's just an example. Look for the ones made of the thick gauge steel. They are better.
  • SnookslangerSnookslanger Posts: 1,320 Officer
    Electric is the way to go. Propane sucks **** for smoking.

These are the ****: www.cookshack.com
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbaaKhJZWMOL6wbI1uz1gMkBQR94dtr2Dn__x8NwzcVDRiVW5Gb-cOL-oj
  • Orange'n'Blue SnapperOrange'n'Blue Snapper Posts: 1,384 Officer
    Whatever you do dont google image "hot smoker" if your still at work and theres people around. I just had a close call tying to make a funny. It got tippy real fast.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,146 Admiral
    In Iceland, dried sheep dung is used to cold smoke fish, lamb, mutton and whale.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_%28cooking%29
  • TriplecleanTripleclean Posts: 6,591 Officer
    Micheal Repper has picked what I like the most for home smoking. First off its long and flat, I like this for long things like fish and ribs. Second it has the offset smoke/fire box that keeps the heat down.

IMHO at home hit it hard with the smoke at first for maybe an hour then just let it go.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
  • wilsontintwilsontint Posts: 62 Deckhand
    FlyLow wrote: »
    I wouldn't recommend the Masterbilt myself, I owned one and it quit working in less than a year. I do have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I would highly recommend, it's easy to learn and you'll not need to babysit the charcoal as with some of the other smokers....

http://virtualweberbullet.com/tour.html

If you still have your masterbuilt.... Their customer service is exceptional. My buisness partner had one that went out. I call them they said no problem. Take the door off of it and send it in ( so, you can't scam them for a free smoker). and they sent us a brand new smoker.
  • wilsontintwilsontint Posts: 62 Deckhand
    I have the masterbuilt 30" has glass window, light inside, remote control and food therometer that displays from the remote. Go it on black friday for 179.00 from BPS. It is my 2nd one. I also have several charcoal smokers but, it is my favorite since I don't have to stay up babysitting charcoal all night.
  • CaptTaterCaptTater Posts: 20,096 AG
    you could always get a mans smoker
    You're a man smoker alright.
    I did not read the story but if you take tax payers money maybe you should be held to some standards.-Cyclist
    when we say the same thing about welfare recipients, you cry like a wounded buffalo Sopchoppy
    It's their money, they spend it how they like. Truth and honesty have nothing to do with it. - Mr Jr
    "“A radical is one who advocates sweeping changes in the existing laws and methods of government.” "
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    That masterbuilt electric is what I have been thinking about if I don't go with a bigger offset smoker like this one http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_07116303000P?prdNo=19
  • jad1097jad1097 Posts: 9,610 Admiral
    Abelman wrote: »

P.S. isn't charcoal wood anyway?

Not always.

"Briquettes are made by compressing charcoal, typically made from sawdust and other wood by-products, with a binder and other additives. The binder is usually starch. Some briquettes may also include brown coal (heat source), mineral carbon (heat source), borax, sodium nitrate (ignition aid), limestone (ash-whitening agent), raw sawdust (ignition aid), and other additives like paraffin or petroleum solvents to aid in ignition.[6]"
    jad1097 wrote: »
    Not always.

"Briquettes are made by compressing charcoal, typically made from sawdust and other wood by-products, with a binder and other additives. The binder is usually starch. Some briquettes may also include brown coal (heat source), mineral carbon (heat source), borax, sodium nitrate (ignition aid), limestone (ash-whitening agent), raw sawdust (ignition aid), and other additives like paraffin or petroleum solvents to aid in ignition.[6]"

Good catch, let me claify, I use "lump" charcoal, namely Royal Oak. Some say if you use Cowboy lump, that isn't wood either which is true at times. Even get some plywood every so often.

I don't use briquettes as the also burn lower and create more ash because of the fillers. I know Kingsford came up with a competition briquette, but I have never tried it. I'm a lump guy.
  • Michael RepperMichael Repper Posts: 4,897 Officer
    Micheal Repper has picked what I like the most for home smoking. First off its long and flat, I like this for long things like fish and ribs. Second it has the offset smoke/fire box that keeps the heat down.

IMHO at home hit it hard with the smoke at first for maybe an hour then just let it go.

Yeah, it is really convenient having such a big grate to cook on. Can easily fit a couple racks of ribs and a couple of chickens in there no problem. You can also use them as a large grill just by putting charcoal in the main chamber, or if you only have a couple burgers to grill, just light up the offset firebox and there is a small grate on it for grilling.
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,286 Admiral
    Ive got the one that Repper posted. Works great with the offset box. But the metal is thin guage, the joints arent as tight as i would like and it can be difficult to control the temp on a windy day or a cold day. Also, the temp guage that it comes with is a joke. I also drilled a hole for a true temp guage. All in all its a god setup.
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png
  • hooknlinehooknline Posts: 5,286 Admiral
    And henson has my dream smoker. When he dies i hope he wills it to me
    If I say something that offends you, please let me know so I can say it again later

1322773200_30_1_USD_3.50_default.png