189 engine ?s and then some...

Replies

• mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    Hey Glenn! That's the reason I never envied Harley enthusiasts from the saddle of my Honda Valkyrie. I could hear my stereo while on those long rides. When we were forced to go from a tried and true Johnson 150 to the HPDI V max 150 I was amazed how quiet the Yammie is. The only downside to Yammies is the price of parts, oy vey! I hope to get 2 more years out of my 02 giving Yammie enough time to come out with a 150/175 SHO under 450#.
  • FlatsBoyFlatsBoy Posts: 1,341 Officer
    I owned a Etec 150 HO on my last boat i can tell you it was quiet but did not have the top end power or fuel economy like the Merc. sorry and the F150 is quiet also but still the Merc gets better fuel burn numbers.

At 3000 RPMs 32.3 MPH I get 7.1 to 7.3 MPG depending on load
    At 3500 RPMs 37.2 MPH I get 6 to 6.4 MPG depending on load
    At 4000 RPMs 41 MPH I get 4.5 MPG depending on load
    At 5900 to WOT 58 to over 62 MPH I get 3.2 to 3.6 MPG depending on load
    All these number are reel time from the Merc monitor connected to my Garmin 740s
    Here is a video to prove WOT numbers & fuel economy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-E5xxtQZvw&context=C362406fADOEgsToPDskJ80xHgtUzmZ_rwiWcIUrjO
  • brad safreedbrad safreed Posts: 562 Officer
    If it's too loud then you are too old. Maybe it's just me but my engine is not running when I'm fishing and above 40mph all I can hear is the wind. So if engine noise is that much of a concern then you are either not fishing or you are driving too slow.
  • mitzmitz Posts: 61 Greenhorn
    would you say the merc is as loud or louder then an older carb 2stroke yammie? I know john mentioned earlier that the low gear ratio on the suki would make it probably the slowest but i wonder by how much and how could it beat those numbers phil is putting up??
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 946 Officer
    If it's too loud then you are too old. Maybe it's just me but my engine is not running when I'm fishing and above 40mph all I can hear is the wind. So if engine noise is that much of a concern then you are either not fishing or you are driving too slow.

Perhaps a trip to an ear physician is in order? Once they are cleaned out or fixed up and you can hear like a younger guy again, you can then appreciate the quieter side of life. They say hearing loss sort of creeps up on you over time and you don't know what you are missing until it's fixed. Maybe its caused by your motor? ;) Or maybe I just have extra keen hearing because when I am running 40 mph or faster, that motor is not particularly quiet and I have it dialed in to get exactly to 6,000 rpms running a Merc Rev 4 19 Pitch or a Turbo Ultima 17 pitch. It sounds like a race car - as it was designed. I have enough of the race car thing going on in my garage so I don't enjoy the sounds so much 10 miles in the middle of nowhere. It is better on the noise than my old Merc EFI though.
  • Egrets LandingEgrets Landing Posts: 946 Officer
    FlatsBoy wrote: »
    I owned a Etec 150 HO on my last boat i can tell you it was quiet but did not have the top end power or fuel economy like the Merc. sorry and the F150 is quiet also but still the Merc gets better fuel burn numbers.

At 3000 RPMs 32.3 MPH I get 7.1 to 7.3 MPG depending on load
    At 3500 RPMs 37.2 MPH I get 6 to 6.4 MPG depending on load
    At 4000 RPMs 41 MPH I get 4.5 MPG depending on load
    At 5900 to WOT 58 to over 62 MPH I get 3.2 to 3.6 MPG depending on load
    All these number are reel time from the Merc monitor connected to my Garmin 740s
    Here is a video to prove WOT numbers & fuel economy!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-E5xxtQZvw&context=C362406fADOEgsToPDskJ80xHgtUzmZ_rwiWcIUrjO

A little difference in fuel economy makes no difference to me. I am happy to pay a little more in gas over time for a lot less engine noise if in fact the pro xs is less efficient. It's sort of a moot point though because I am not changing this thing out now after all the hassel of repowering. It's not worth it. But if I get another boat I will probably order a different engine for it that is quieter.
  • tripple dippertripple dipper Posts: 44 Deckhand
    You can't beat Phil's numbers, even considering oil burn. The merc is noisy when idling around sight-seeing ect. I'm already dreading running the beach looking for Cobia this spring. But at speed the sound fades away, as Brad says. Small trade off considering the performance of the motor. It is quieter than the carb 2strokes I hear at the ramp.
    If your worried about the noise buy some of these!:crowd

pink-hearos-bann.png
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    I can't stand loud noises any more. Lawn mowers and weed eaters seem to always be running somewhere. They just annoy me. I don't want to go out and run a boat with a loud weed eater on the back of my boat. Noise pollution just sucks.Your burn numbers are good. I may pay another 10 dollars a year to run mine. Small price to pay for the peace and quiet. Fuel is the cheapest item next to oil in this hobby.

You should wear one of these to protect your ears so you don't go deaf.
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    No need to cover up the sound of pure power!:funnypost
  • mtd885mtd885 Posts: 1,159 Officer
    I agree with ear protection. Even though my Valkyrie was very quiet it was the road noise in my helmet that contributed to my having Tinitis today, well that and 30 years of drumming. A pair of foam ear plugs like they give you at the range works well too. Protect your hearing you won't like the alternative!
  • Split ShotSplit Shot Posts: 6,166 Admiral
    Yea I out grew the playing cards in the ole bicycle spokes thing a few years ago.
  • JBLocalJBLocal Posts: 154 Officer
    The 175 Vmax is half as loud as the 175 Merc, and just a tad faster. When Brad was on my boat he even siad...."man your engine is quiet compared to mine"
    JBLocal wrote: »
    The 175 Vmax is half as loud as the 175 Merc, and just a tad faster. When Brad was on my boat he even siad...."man your engine is quiet compared to mine"

I'll bring my DB meter if we have a get together and will see then what the different motors put out as far as sound levels.As being faster well i'm not convinced on that yet!:huh
    If you tell me you ran faster then show me a picture or video of the run or running with numbers from your GPS or radar gun thats all i ask until then i believe i have the speed record for a 189 with 175 hp stock motor!:p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-E5x...zmZ_rwiWcIUrjO

002-4.jpg
  • Renagade69Renagade69 Posts: 1,230 Officer
    The motor is so loud in that video. Here is your vid. Your link was wrong.

[video=youtube_share;O-E5xxtQZvw]
    Hells Bay Estero Bay Boat and Hells Bay Marquesas
    Phil....bla blah blah blah.....ur funny.....if i ever do see ya...illl smoke u just like i did Brad on 2 different occasions....u can even bring ur super duper watch macall it prop, and ill bring my beat up prop i fish with. By the way....your 175 "pro XS" isnt a "stock" motor. It has 190 HP.Ur dilusional if you think the merc is as quiet as the Yami.

I think u have been hanging around your ECC buddies a little to long.Just like the dudes saying the "DIS ADvnatage" HP/regular....different hull whatever etc.....rides great in a 2 ft chop....bring them with ya.I like the part where they say....you cant pole an 18....thats why capt Tommy D makes his living poling his boat all over St. Augustine on a daily basis.
    Hopefully they fish the flatsmasters this year...so they can see the back of the Egret at every event.I really, really, want to see that boat run across charlottte Harbor when its blowing...same goes for Tampa Bay....if they are nice, i might turn around and save them while their boat is sinking and coming apart....its all in great fun. ;) Just stirrin it up a bit LOL....here is a pic for ya..from last month...everything on the boat,trolley,40gallons of gas etc..bwahahahhahahahaaaaha!!! u need to spend another 6 hungy on a better prop dawg. This prop has about 200 very rough hrs on it.Cant you tell im bored....
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    Hydro-tec.
  • CPJIIICPJIII Posts: 80 Deckhand
    Hi Chris!
  • buttapollock1010buttapollock1010 Posts: 54 Deckhand
    Chris,

I got my MA 17 with f115 to do 49mph with your currents in Jax! You cannot post pictures when your running around with 5-7+ mph currents!
    Here are some real speed numbers! It drops 1mph with 2 guys loaded! FYI it's a $150 prop and probably as old as your poneytail!
    photo-4.jpg
    Well, as old as my pony tail and as old as your jorts/80s jim shorts you wear....it sure is funny when the ECC (jim jones) guyana(sp) crew is so bored they wana come over to the Egret forum. Shouldnt you guys be on the JIM JONES (ECC) froum bad mouthing the other boat brands while all the while pumping up a boat that is about as proven as the fountain of youth???? With some funnny speeds from a "poling skiff" on a lake??? You guys miss the boat literally....i like your IM message....first off Mr.POllock....i dont drink beer....but obviously you guys drink so much you are all drunk with all but a laughable description of a
    "poling skiff".The ECC koolaid must be good....to make you guys compare a tippy "poling skiff" to a flats boat. Going as far as saying it rides like a bay boat. Who in their right mind would hang a 175/190HP motor on the back of a poling skiff??? It really defeats the purpose of a "poling skiff". It makes no matter how fast you boat will go in flat water....like ive asked before....you claim these numbers from a fishing boat....are you racing it? Or fiishing it?Ok.....im done arguing with the ECC "Cyber Angler" crew. Why dont you guys go back to the CULT/Camp and talk about how shiny your prop is, or if you have the "aramid" build or if you polished your trolling motor blade today or a ran 60 + in the lake.POLLOCK AND CHAD....we willl see in a few months...this will all be put to rest in "real world" conditions in your home waters....300 miles from where i reside etc......

Mr John.....I DONT HAVE A KIT ON MY MOTOR......anytime you would like you are more than welcome to check.Arent you the one that for years used to bad mouth Egret boats?How soon we/you forget..... Welcome to the family.Obviously you know whats best.
  • polepositionpoleposition Posts: 1,052 Officer
    I am not nor never will be part of your family.

gimmesomelovep1.gif
    Ponce,

As for home waters? Were are about a 100+ miles away from punta gorda. Those speeds were no means in a LAKE! As for my "jim shorts" I wear whats comfy! Maybe I can buy you an herbal tea or a Geritol.

From 2500 to about 4000 rpm's. Anything after that is negligible.
    Chris,

I got my MA 17 with f115 to do 49mph with your currents in Jax! You cannot post pictures when your running around with 5-7+ mph currents!
    Here are some real speed numbers! It drops 1mph with 2 guys loaded! FYI it's a $150 prop and probably as old as your poneytail!
    photo-4.jpg

Where's your trolling motor? I'm glad you are proud of your Vantage. Nate is proud of his also. Hopefully they got it right this time.
    Phil....bla blah blah blah.....ur funny.....if i ever do see ya...illl smoke u just like i did Brad on 2 different occasions....u can even bring ur super duper watch macall it prop, and ill bring my beat up prop i fish with. By the way....your 175 "pro XS" isnt a "stock" motor. It has 190 HP.Ur dilusional if you think the merc is as quiet as the Yami.

The 175Vmax is very easy to find and Yami has lowerd the price at this time.I know.....im getting ready to sell mine and repower with a new one.It has 900hrs, 30 on the brand new powerhead 1 year left on the factory warrenty..and the buyer will get a brand new out of the box 175 lower unit with zero hrs on it.....6,500$ takes it.

:funnypost
    The Merc 175 Pro XS is a production motor from the factory not a racing motor sorry to tell ya!
    The engine noise well that's for the sound meter to deside!
    So since your selling your motor why would you keep that old beat up lower unit with 900 hrs on it and put it on the new motor!Hummmm! maybe it's modified or geared different so much for your Yami stock production motor all I know is that my motor came out of the box and no parts were swaped or changed or a new lower unit was sent to me by mistake!:kick;)

It's all in good fun let's go fish! :fishing
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,854 Captain
    Hi Chad!

Hi Phil!

Hi John!

Hi Robert!

Hi Warchild!

It sounds like all of you should have bought a Lake and Bay. I wouldn't have pulled a camera out to take a picture of any of those speeds, and I own a slow, heavy one.
    Where's your trolling motor? I'm glad you are proud of your Vantage. Nate is proud of his also. Hopefully they got it right this time.

On the stern as usual when making long high speed runs! Trolling motor heads break very easily not trying to break the head. Most of the time the trolling motor stays on the stern as "we bought the boat to POLE!!!"

Hi to you as well Tommy! Our boat goes just as fast as your sled on the trailer! Maybe faster!
    On the stern as usual when making long high speed runs! Trolling motor heads break very easily not trying to break the head. Most of the time the trolling motor stays on the stern as "we bought the boat to POLE!!!"

Hi to you as well Tommy! Our boat goes just as fast as your sled on the trailer! Maybe faster!

True, I guess you would need to put the trolley on the stern in that little boat. All that slamming can be hard on them. Did you get free mouthguards when you took delivery to save your chicklets from getting busted out?
    I'm from Hudson! I don't have teef!
  • TGunnTGunn Posts: 1,854 Captain
    Did you get free mouthguards when you took delivery to save your chicklets from getting busted out?

Yes, they did. I must say that ECC's provision of mouthguards for their customers is nowhere near as innovative or customer-service oriented as Egret's provision of dental dams for each others' "safety" at the Egret Owners Tournament.