Home Photography Corner

Lytros cameras

FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
Does anyone have a Lytros (lightfield) camera yet?

IF yes how is it? thanks.

It's a camera that produces images that have multiple focal points when
displayed.

Replies

• GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    Don't own one nor want one, but from what I understand, it basically takes a series of images to be like a cube and stores that RAW data. When you put it on the screen, you use the mouse to choose the layer you want in focus. It can only work using their proprietary software and only work on a computer screen. The cameras are either 8 gig or 16 gig and I think that's the only way to save your image. It's not portable. It's also fairly low resolution because it has to record depth as well as the normal 2 dimmensions and has to do that fast enough. If each slice were to high of a resolution, the subject or camera might move.

The above might not be correct. This was how it was explained to me and it makes sense. The low resolution is why they don't use megapixels. They make up their own proprietary name and won't translate it down to a slice you might be looking at. Personally, I could care less about a camera like that. I'll decide what I want to be the focus point up front.
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • WaterEngineerWaterEngineer Posts: 24,415 AG
    Craig, you explanation is not one thousand percent accurate but close enough.

Not only don't I want one, but I can't figure out what you are suppose to do with it - the image stack I mean.

Once you play around with the focal point a couple of times, then what?
  • GuidenetGuidenet Posts: 239 Officer
    Craig, you explanation is not one thousand percent accurate but close enough.

Not only don't I want one, but I can't figure out what you are suppose to do with it - the image stack I mean.

Once you play around with the focal point a couple of times, then what?

Heheheh.. My point exactly. What the heck do I do with it? If I want to eventually save it so I can view it without their online software, I can no longer refocus it. I then have a low rez regular two dimensional image.

I'll select my point up front, thank you very much, and take the much better rez image. Or how about I use f/22 and not worry about diffraction and have it all in focus?

The weird part in my thinking is who wants an image with several subjects? Rarely does a scene have more than one thing you want to show. If it does, take two images. If it is a group, wouldn't you want them together, not separated by distance?

I suppose a long race where you want to zoom and focus down the line at a specific time. All the contestants are the same family, so look so similar, you need to look closely to see who the winner is and then the places behind that. ;)
    Nikon D800, D3S, D700, D300, Canon G1X, Sigma 15 f/2.8 Fisheye, Sigma 10-20 f/4-5.6, Nikon 16-35 f/4 VR, Nikon 28 f/1.8G AFS, Tamron 17-50 f/2.8, Nikon 35-70 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 80-200 f/2.8 AFD, Nikon 70-300 f/4.5-5.6 VR, Nikon 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 AFS VR, Nikon 35 f/2, Nikon 50 f/1.8 G, Nikon 60 f/2.8 G Micro, Nikon 85 f/1.4 AFS G, Nikon 105 f/2.5 AI, Sigma 150 f/2.8 APO Macro, Nikon 300 f/2.8 AFS VR, Nikon 500 f/4 -P, Interfit Stellar X complete six light studio
  • FS DavidFS David Posts: 297 Deckhand
    I looked at their website but didn't see that it required their software, which makes me think the applications would be limited. thanks for the info.