Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Lake Apopka Spray meeting

2»

Replies

• joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 3,141 Captain
    edited March 16 #32
    I enjoy a good laugh so there are lots of amusing things in there. 

Welcome to the party!
  • godvlmangodvlman Posts: 455 Deckhand
    N. Cook said:
    Regarding hydrilla.....hydrilla is killed by a too rapid increase in water depth and by cold temperatures.  Of course, spraying, even when the target species is not hydrilla, will kill hydrilla.  Most of the spraying is to remove floating vegetation, water lettuce and hyacinth. However, obviously collateral damage occurs.
    Newton, 
    The spraying to remove floating vegetation kills hydrilla?  NO WAY... can't be as the agencies have been spewing for years.. just read the label on the chemical bottle or the SDS sheet!!!   :dizzy:
  • godvlmangodvlman Posts: 455 Deckhand
    swampdog said:
    Godev - A majority of the lakes don’t have structures allowing lowering or raising the water elevations. The fluctuations are weather driven. 
    I know too many that do, marshes included that are now void of any SAV!!!
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 6,464 Admiral
    Yeah I'm not so sure most of the lakes in south FL (at least) cannot have their water levels artificially manipulated by water control structures. Particularly the major lakes, and of course the ENTIRE Everglades region. Although weather may periodically INTERFERE with the levels, the WMDs and USACE are ultimately sitting in the DRIVER'S seat and quickly alter the levels to suit their desired schedules.

It's past time to stop making excuses and start pointing the finger at those who are responsible. Personally I'm about beyond caring anymore because they are simply going to do what they're going to do and I'm just going to have to find my way to work around the lousy recipe I'm being fed. Quite honestly I would enjoy it more if everyone would just admit,  "yeah, we did that!".
  • joelunchbucketjoelunchbucket Posts: 3,141 Captain
    OGBOHICA said:
    The above 2 posts reflect the same excuses FWC has....MOST major waterbodies have the ability to raise and lower. Problem is the folks who manage that cant keep a **** floating in a toilet!
    Can you please be specific about the “excuse” you’re whining about above?

All I did was make a factual comment related to the subject the previous post brought up. It’s not even one that conflicts with what your gripe is. If anything, it’s neutral.

Not sure why you always try so hard to impersonate Gretta.
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,314 Captain
    The USACE Schedules for the system...and Lake O...are complex and put together after a long and tedious process that includes all stakeholders. Just as LOSOM is being done today....with two years of work so far, and just delayed again due to NEPA review.  As a "stakeholder" we continue to call for a major change in LOSOM to reduce the 17.5 feet top "possible" acceptable level to 16.5 feet.  The long time level before LORS 2008.  Also, the schedule needs adjusting so water is taken out of the Lake faster to keep the Lake from being above 15 feet for long periods of time.  All of this impacts how the KIssimmee System and the WCA systems are operated.  As that water goes into,,,,and out of the Lake.    Of course Mother Nature is always throwing curve balls and the USACE has to react accordingly.  It is not a bad idea to have those SCHEDULES as they set the rules so all can see them and understand the actions of the USACE.  The Colonel has some descretion and can reacdt to the natural events of storms and drought, but is reluctant to fool with a plan that has years of work by all the players involved.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Posts: 4,513 Captain
    Pinman said:
    My Dad grew up on Lake Apopka when it was pristine. I grew up on it when it was nasty.  

What date is the meeting and can Emails / calls be sent?
    Was there “ Spraying” on the Lake when your Dad witnessed a “ Pristine” condition? 
    What would make the Lake Nasty while you were a child??
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,885 Captain
    FloridaOD said:
    Pinman said:
    My Dad grew up on Lake Apopka when it was pristine. I grew up on it when it was nasty.  

What date is the meeting and can Emails / calls be sent?
    Was there “ Spraying” on the Lake when your Dad witnessed a “ Pristine” condition? 
    What would make the Lake Nasty while you were a child??
    The farms on the north side with the associated chemical and fertilizer runoff ruined the lake.