Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

MINWR

MissedMissed Posts: 752 Officer
Anyone have any comments, complaints, suggestions, or anything else for the folks at MINWR?

Getting ready for the annual meeting.

Thanks

Replies

• PinmanPinman Posts: 3,888 Captain
    As usual, open the Indian River back up to hunting the same as the Mosquito Lagoon is. I know, "permit holders complain" so make it 100, 200, 300yards off the dike. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 6,473 Admiral
    edited March 6 #3
    Screw the permit holders and open the river... the way it should be. 

Throw the 25 shell rule in trash bin and forget such nonsense forevermore, going forward. Let a child burn through some shells and have a little fun. 

Lock the boards and try keeping the fishermen from opening the flow and dumping the fresh water from the impoundments.

Stop managing the man and start managing the habitat.
    Also, opening up the Indian River would possibly take some pressure off areas 2 and 3 where crowding and conflicts have created headaches for LEO. I mean, in all reality, why cant you hunt the open waters and islands of the IRL????
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA Posts: 1,246 Officer
    Fire the Staff at MINWR
    Fill in the culverts.....
  • MissedMissed Posts: 752 Officer
    thanks guys.  

I was out there for 4 weekend hunts at 3 diff locations.  Had plenty of water, lotsa weeds...

got blocked out of a hunt area w a bucketloader in the way on Thanksgiving day.  Did a haul over from the outside that day.  Some other guys went in w a canoe around the [email protected] thing.  Still pzzed.

scouted Biolab from the lagoon, found ducks and good water levels.  Dad didn’t want to go for whatever reason, even when they opened the road w/o telling me/us.  Was on their website.

did anyone encounter board and water level issues this year?  I didnt see it but didnt hunt the unit it affects the most.

were there issues this year w access in 2 & 3, other than biolab rd being closed?

i agree about hunting the river.

the 25 shell thing is still hotly contested, w seemingly more support for it.  

not sure if they promoted Stan or if we’re going on yr 2 of no lead biologist / manager.  Will know soon enough.

drove thru last weekend, seems like peacocks is still under construction.

• N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,315 Captain
    Thanks MISSED for working with the MINWR staff to arrange this meeting.  Here is an opportunity for those who hunt MINWR to speak to their experience and make suggestions for improvements in the hunting program.  Attend the meeting. 

Dealing with the NWRs can be frustrationg as you are dealing with a monster of a bureaucracy.....the USFWS staffs are bound by a maze of regulations and can seem unattentive to our suggestions.  BUT, progress can be made.  The ARMLOXNWR improved the new program there with full days hunting. no quotas, regular FWC regulations (except no geese) and opened almost 100,000 acres of new hunting. Yes....UW-F and other stakeholders worked for ten years to "see the day", but the  USFWS staff put in about three years of paperwork to make it happen.
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 6,473 Admiral
    The threat of the USFWS  losing the lease (and their cushy jobs at a poorly managed NWR) back to SFWMD is the ONLY reason anything meaningful favoring hunting and access occurred. 
  • OGBOHICAOGBOHICA Posts: 1,246 Officer
    Thats a fact...jack

They wouldn't move that needle until then... the letter campaign to remove them threatened those golden parachutes. And, I grew up in N Lox area
  • N. CookN. Cook Posts: 2,315 Captain
    Big Mac,  I definitely was involved in the  SFWMD battle with the USFWS to fund the plant management program at ARMLOXNWR to stop the exotic expansion that was ruining thousands of acres of habitat over the years. (as a Member of the SFWMD WRAC)  Started way AFTER the UW-F and FSCA efforts to expand the hunting areas and relax the restrictions at  the Refuge.  That expansion, to full waterfowl seasons with FWC regs, except no geese, and the deer hunting and air boating was the result  of over ten years of work by the TRUST GROUP  (sports organizations, including UW-F, National Wildlife Refuge Association, FWC, USFWS,etc). (culminating by the recent turkey hunts of the Panther NWR).

One had nothing to do with the other. However, the line up and support of the sports  groups....and the other stakeholders...was crucial to the success of the SFWMD battle with the USFWS to get the promised Federal funding each year to attack the exotics on the Refuge.  Thanks also to the FWC.  The FWC stepped in with $2 million for the program to help offset at least some of the delinquent Federal $5 million. The SFWMD threatened not to renew the 50 year lease to the USFWS for the Refuge land unless they came up with the promised funds.....THAT GOT THEIR ATTENTION...