Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

C.R. grouper troll 11/29/2022

capt louiecapt louie Moderatorcitrus countyPosts: 10,873 Moderator
Water temp about 66 in morning with outgoing tide and East wind. A brisk East wind. Look at the towers..

Wasn't too bad running in JTS's Panga and started trolling in 14' with sparce floating weeds. Just enough to slightly grind your teeth. 
Pro tip : there is ALWAYS lots of weeds exactly on the number you are looking to troll over. So, any big patches of weeds are likely good grouper bottom.... lol

Was pretty choppy but I finally got a big hit . After a nice battle  John got the fish on the lip gripper and in the box. big 35" toad !

96 qt cooler. OK , need 3 more. Well , that didn't happen. Got another keeper at 27" and a short. Had one cutoff loosing a plug. And came back on smooth seas.

At the house the big gag went 18 even on the scale with the other at 7.5. Only one limit but way better than last two tries that were zipp on keepers. It's been a strange fall season ? no idea why.

Big one.

Need some North wind and cooler water I guess? 
Running out of time. I have been hunting and put a couple of hogs in freezer and one deer. Guess I'll do that when too windy to fish.  

Later capt louie

"You'll get your weather"

Replies

• Ruff OneRuff One Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
    Yes, it's either weeds or crab traps right on the rocks. That's a beauty of a gag! Got to love those big ones. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Senior Member Ozello Fl.Posts: 13,072 AG
    Ruff One said:
    Yes, it's either weeds or crab traps right on the rocks. That's a beauty of a gag! Got to love those big ones. 
    weeds aee a pain, if you can't troll around crab traps then you need to stay home.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • Ruff OneRuff One Senior Member HomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
    It's spelled "ARE" like in weeds are a pain, traps are a pain and old crabbers are a pain

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Salty Dawg44Salty Dawg44 Senior Member Homosassa, FLPosts: 1,391 Officer

That was a nice one ,,,, probably yielded more meat than a 2 fish limit of barely legal sized ones.

MY WORST FEAR......THAT WHEN I DIE MY WIFE WILL SELL ALL MY BOATS & FISHING GEAR FOR WHAT I TOLD HER I PAID FOR IT.......

I may not always agree with what you say,
    but I will always respect your right to be wrong!
  • capt louiecapt louie Moderator citrus countyPosts: 10,873 Moderator

That was a nice one ,,,, probably yielded more meat than a 2 fish limit of barely legal sized ones.

Fillets were 7.5 lbs total not including collar.

Fillets were 7.5 lbs total not including collar.
    Just the one big fish was checked. 
  • Wishin i was fishinWishin i was fishin Senior Member Posts: 984 Officer
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Senior Member Posts: 1,709 Captain
  • SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,815 Captain
    I like stone crab claws and will just deal with the traps

It looks like some boats from south FL have come up here and added to the no of floats

guys trying to make a legal living, I wonder if they help draw in the grouper
    Slacker said:

It looks like some boats from south FL have come up here and added to the no of floats

Good question , I never seen any stone crabs inside them but small fish must respond to the bait and trap lines ?
  • bigfinn35bigfinn35 Senior Member Sarasota/VenicePosts: 1,167 Officer
    Far as I'm aware (which means with zero actual crabbing experience for what it's worth), the traps usually get placed on hard bottom trendlines to begin with since that's where the crabs live. Would make sense that the same areas would attract grouper.
    Paddle faster, I hear banjo music.
    Hard bottom at start of season, when water cools down or we have a lot of octopus the crabs move to soft.
    This is more typical off shore (20' +) than inshore.
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    Slacker said:

Yep, about 40,000 more out of Hernando bch and 15,000 out of Homosassa. 

Add a couple east coast blue crabbers trying their luck this year.

It's a little crowded. 
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Junior Member Posts: 1,005 Officer
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Hard bottom at start of season, when water cools down or we have a lot of octopus the crabs move to soft.
    Can you keep the octopi when caught as bycatch? Is there a market for them and are they fished for exclusively?
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Can you keep the octopi when caught as bycatch? Is there a market for them and are they fished for exclusively?
    yes and our market in Fl. is extremely limited. Carolina's have a decent market as does the west coast of USA.

We don't have a good run of octopus every year (mor like every 5) and why target $3/lb pies when stone crab brings avg $20/lb (this year)
  • SlackerSlacker Senior Member Homosassa, JaxPosts: 1,815 Captain
    it all adds up,  love the bycatch too

I thought I saw new boats and more traps

we appreciate the input from you, you live out there while we love to get a few days targeting our  prey