Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Frustrated -- Rant

Jack HexterJack Hexter ModeratorNew Port RicheyPosts: 5,579 Moderator
edited November 2022 in Off Topic #1
I don't know what IDIOT at FDOT decided to put a traffic light in Yeehaw Junction on SR 60 where eastbound cars have to take a left turn to get on the Fla Turnpike. But it caused a 7 mile 2 hour traffic backup.   It took 20 minutes to travel the last 200 yards from 441 to the turnpike entrance.  To alleviate this mess all it would take is a turn arrow on the light to stop westbound traffic allowing eastbound cars to turn onto the on ramp.  When I got to the intersection, I expected to see a 10 car crash with multiple fatalities and all I saw was cars traveling west bound not allowing the eastbound cars to turn left.  Never before saw a problem where a traffic light was necessary at that intersection

Replies

• Big MakBig Mak Senior Member On the Edge or Going DeepPosts: 5,897 Admiral
    They are preparing you for the new development that is coming. Really sucks. 
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,802 Captain
    What I've noticed all over in the last quite a few years is people will sit behind the lines at a left turn arrow until no other traffic is coming toward them.

Sometimes they'll sit thru several lights and it irritates me no end.  Why don't they get their nose out there, even if they can't turn yet ??

That way, at least one car will get thru when the light turns.  I imagine that's what the liberal pantywaists teach them in driver's ed any more.  Sad.
  • cadmancadman Senior Member Posts: 43,169 AG
    A cop needs to sit there and make his quota writing tickets if they are blocking the intersection. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• ferris1248ferris1248 Moderator Posts: 25,080 Moderator
    gogittum said:
    What I've noticed all over in the last quite a few years is people will sit behind the lines at a left turn arrow until no other traffic is coming toward them.

Sometimes they'll sit thru several lights and it irritates me no end.  Why don't they get their nose out there, even if they can't turn yet ??

That way, at least one car will get thru when the light turns.  I imagine that's what the liberal pantywaists teach them in driver's ed any more.  Sad.
    These days that would be pretty dangerous. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,900 Captain
    I used to blow my horn as soon as the light changed to wake the texter’s up. My wife would fuss at me, so now I just count one Mississippi, two Mississippi, three….and listen to her fuss. 
  • wynnvwynnv Senior Member JacksonvillePosts: 1,017 Officer
    edited November 2022 #7
    I use the 3 Mississippi method also. Last time I did that I think I gave them to 5 Mississippi because there was smoke pouring out the windows of their Chrysler 300. I figured I would give them the extra 2 Mississippi's so the smoke from their blunt would clear. They sat there after I hit the horn turned around and several of the induvials gave me the finger. Once I passed them shaking my head they sped up and pulled up next to me staring me down. WTH is wrong with some people?
    I'm probably going to be a road rage victim some day for the way I lay on a horn to move the fools along. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Senior Member Key Largo (Mostly)/Miami(As little as possible)Posts: 1,893 Captain
    People lose their mind when they're texting.
    gogittum said:

I'm not saying to turn into the on-coming traffic.  That would be suicidal.  Pull out to where you're face to face with left turn-ers coming the other way with plenty of room to make your turn.  When there's a break in the oncoming traffic, jump on it.
  • GardawgGardawg Senior Member IslamoradaPosts: 16,391 AG
    You can't get there from here.

At least that's the way it seems at times. 

https://youtu.be/M9S-NtkLPkA
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • Gary SGary S Senior Member Posts: 3,298 Captain
    gogittum said:
    gogittum said:

I'm not saying to turn into the on-coming traffic.  That would be suicidal.  Pull out to where you're face to face with left turn-ers coming the other way with plenty of room to make your turn.  When there's a break in the oncoming traffic, jump on it.
    That is the way we were taught way back when things made sense. But with todays idiots they found a way to make a easy thing hard.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Moderator Posts: 25,080 Moderator
    The problem today is there are always some idiots who run the red light at the end of the cycle. 

It's difficult to take a left turn on a yellow light nowadays. You just end up stuck in the intersection. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

The problem today is there are always some idiots who run the red light at the end of the cycle. 

It's difficult to take a left turn on a yellow light nowadays. You just end up stuck in the intersection. 
    I don't.  I watch till it's safe, then go.
  • FloydFloyd Senior Member Posts: 1,134 Officer
    If you are sitting in the middle of the intersection and the light turns yellow, you are controlling the intersection.  If you have to, you wait until the red light stops oncomming traffic and then proceed with your left turn to clear the intersection for cross traffic.  At most intersections you can't get stuck in the middle.
    Recording from Moderators annual meeting: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuABc9ZNtrA
  • Sonnyboy16Sonnyboy16 Gainesville, FLPosts: 166 Deckhand
    I figured I would give them the extra 2 Mississippi's so the smoke from their blunt would clear. They sat there after I hit the horn turned around and several of the induvials gave me the finger. Once I passed them shaking my head they sped up and pulled up next to me staring me down. WTH is wrong with some people?

Let me guess: "Whut you talkin' bout, Willis"?
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,960 AG
    I figured I would give them the extra 2 Mississippi's so the smoke from their blunt would clear. They sat there after I hit the horn turned around and several of the induvials gave me the finger. Once I passed them shaking my head they sped up and pulled up next to me staring me down. WTH is wrong with some people?

Let me guess: "Whut you talkin' bout, Willis"?
    Same folks who throw their McDonalds bag full of empty food wrappers out the car window on the street. Not worth having a road rage incident with them as they do not value or respect humanity.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• madm002madm002 Junior Member Posts: 210 Deckhand
    Gardawg said:
    You can't get there from here.

At least that's the way it seems at times. 

https://youtu.be/M9S-NtkLPkA
    I worked in Mexico City 5 years.  Drove a full size suburban. Had a 45 auto and a 9mm in the truck for backup.  It is truly as described in the video
  • cadmancadman Senior Member Posts: 43,169 AG
    Floyd said:
    If you are sitting in the middle of the intersection and the light turns yellow, you are controlling the intersection.  If you have to, you wait until the red light stops oncomming traffic and then proceed with your left turn to clear the intersection for cross traffic.  At most intersections you can't get stuck in the middle.
    I wish more people understood this law. They actually taught this way back in the 70s when I took Driver's ed, I see so many people pull out in the intersection for a left turn, have the light turn red, and just sit there waiting on the next cycle while people have to drive around them, You also have the morons who start honking their horns while you make the left turn not understanding you own the intersection since you were there when the light was green

Idiot drivers are the biggest problem out there. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

• restlessnativerestlessnative Senior Member Tampa/Mason Creek/DamficarePosts: 3,053 Captain
    Idiots in general is the problem, it isn’t just driving. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,900 Captain
    Being in intersection when the light turns red, you have the right-of-way. You shouldn’t drive into a vehicle just because the light goes to green. 
  • CaptJCaptJ Senior Member Key Largo (Mostly)/Miami(As little as possible)Posts: 1,893 Captain
    How about the texters ignoring the light change altogether?
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Senior Member Central NCPosts: 22,820 AG
    You can enter the intersection and wait as long as you can clear the intersection when the light turns red. If the cars are backed up making a turn and you get stuck in the intersection then that is illegal.
    About 35 plus years ago I got a ticket doing what everyone suggested. I knew I was right but was entirely too drunk to run my mouth and gladly took the ticket and went home. True story. 
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,960 AG
    Big Mak said:
    About 35 plus years ago I got a ticket doing what everyone suggested. I knew I was right but was entirely too drunk to run my mouth and gladly took the ticket and went home. True story. 

"No sir, ossifer, I swear I haven't been drinking at all tonight."

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Big Mak said:

"No sir, ossifer, I swear I haven't been drinking at all tonight."
    **** Conchy, I didn't even say that much. Not only was I hammered, I was a big underage stooge. But, I knew when to shut up and call it quits for the night. 
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter Moderator New Port RicheyPosts: 5,579 Moderator
    Came back thru the intersection today on my way home.  Came up 441 to 60 and went west.  No problem, But 60 eastbound was still backed up for 5 miles.
  • GardawgGardawg Senior Member IslamoradaPosts: 16,391 AG
    Now I know to avoid the exit at YeeHaw Junction when on the Turnpike ...

but we'll still yell "Yee Haw" when passing by ... it's a tradition
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers