Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

What was the first fish you ever caught and how old were you ?

The Cat's EyeThe Cat's Eye Posts: 1,705 Captain
I was 6 or 7 yo old when I caught a large pinfish from a Coconut Grove seawall fishing with an older lad whom i barely knew. Around the same time i caught several Sunfish from a dock at Lake Tsala Apopka on fresh water clams. 
Giimoozaabi

Replies

• tagtag Posts: 9,656 Admiral
    Grew up in the desert so not much opportunity to fish. My first fish was a perch caught in a creek when I was 16 or 17. I was tiny and was released.
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,553 Moderator
    First fish was a sun fish caught on my grand dads dock on the Perkiomen Creek in Arcola PA
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,519 Captain
    Probably a bream off a dock on a breadball. 

Definitely too young to remember. 
  • Soda PopinskiSoda Popinski GrovelandPosts: 16,637 AG
    Yellow perch age 5 i think.  Hooked ever since.  On that trip i saw a huge carp swim away from shore and that sealed the deal for me. 
    You can't pet a dead dog back to life 
  • Fisherman007Fisherman007 Tampa BayPosts: 219 Deckhand
  • Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,553 Moderator
    Who cares

Obviously The Cat's Eye or  he would not have posted the question
  • nowinchattnowinchatt Posts: 142 Deckhand
    3, Bluegill.That started it all. Then when I was 8, saw a guy get pulled around a head boat by a huge amberjack, then watched my Zebco 33 get spooled off the Roosevelt bridge - that was all it took for me!
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,805 Captain
    A Bluegill from the canal near my house when I was 5. Took a whipping for going down to the canal by myself. Didn't deter me. I was hooked.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,742 Captain
    Crumb Crick sunfish.  I was 5, caught him with a bucket from shore.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• LostconchLostconch Posts: 1,090 Officer
    I wish I remembered. 
  • pottydocpottydoc Port Saint JoePosts: 5,466 Admiral
    tankered said:
    Probably a bream off a dock on a breadball. 

Definitely too young to remember. 
    Same here. Mom said I was about 3-4. 
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 948 Officer
      I'll skip over the bullheads up North but
    at 8 caught 1 1/2 Northern Pike on Lake
    Mary- Minn.
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 871 Officer
    same as several previous posters. Bluegill on bread with my grandpa, too young to remeber but yeah say 3 or 4 maybe
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,429 Admiral
    The first one I remember was a pinfish along a seawall abutting one of the bridges that went to Dauphin Island in Mobile Bay.........60 odd years ago.......with my Granny & Papa ( Grandfather). Probably the same day Granny taught me the joy of sardines in mustard sauce on a soda cracker. And as Papa ran the Pepsi bottling plant in Mobile at the time, one of the things they bottled being 7-Up, back when it was crisp and clean and probably had REAL SUGAR.......anyway......washed down the sardines with a 7-UP.

Still eat sardines..........modern 7-UP.......just like those beautiful store bough cakes with all the colored "frosting"......those things I don't bother with. 

And now that I think about it........maybe the reason we are a pudgy society is that because what we eat is not really good, much of it not really satisfying the cravings for salt & sugar & fat & crunch the way a real cake or a pie made with real sugar and lard......well......we eat more trying to get that satisfied feeling. Kind of like when we get a fine piece of belly meat off a cobia and find that we don't need so much because it is rich and satisfying.

But.....I digress....and wander......and as with Animal Farm where some of the older animals when looking at the wall with the foundational Laws realize that they are not the same as when written down, though they do not know how they are different. 

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 13,431 AG
    To be honest I don't remember but it would probably be a Grunt. I do remember my first Jewfish and I was still young enough to put it in my red wagon and show off to the neighbors. I was probably around seven or eight years old.
     The Jewfish was probably only around 50 lbs . Back then we only fished with handlines and I might have had some help.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,641 Captain
    Bream on the Withlacoochee in Pasco County. Six years old. Then I was hooked. 
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,706 Captain
    Barred perch off the Santa Monica Pier.  6 or 7.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,647 Captain
    edited November 29 #19
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,647 Captain
    edited November 29 #20
    10kman said:
    Mary- Minn.
    1st was a Trout at age 8 with my uncle, but got into Bullheads and Chub on the Fraser River - alone - with a handline by the time I was 10.

bswiv said:
    The first one I remember was a pinfish along a seawall abutting one of the bridges that went to Dauphin Island in Mobile Bay.........60 odd years ago.......with my Granny & Papa ( Grandfather). Probably the same day Granny taught me the joy of sardines in mustard sauce on a soda cracker. And as Papa ran the Pepsi bottling plant in Mobile at the time, one of the things they bottled being 7-Up, back when it was crisp and clean and probably had REAL SUGAR.......anyway......washed down the sardines with a 7-UP.

Still eat sardines..........modern 7-UP.......just like those beautiful store bough cakes with all the colored "frosting"......those things I don't bother with. 

I spent summers in my early teens in the little town of Lund on the B.C. coast and was soon fishing the floats with a handline.  Catch Shiners for bait, then go after Rockfish and Ling Cod in an old lapstrake rowboat.  Lund was the last place on the way north where you could buy ice and supplies, so a lot of Salmon fishermen stopped for a rest and to stock up.

Some of the Japanese fishermen took an interest and helped coach me and I learned a lot.  Then they showed me how to open a can of sardines with the key, leaving the top attached on the narrow side.  They'd pour some soy sauce into them, then put them on the Coleman stove to warm them up.

Haha....hissing and spitting and crackling - they'd spray oil and soy all over the stove and counter.  But man, they were good.  Hold the lid of the can with a piece of cloth and hook the 'dines out with a fork.  Mmm-mmm-good.  Haven't thought of that in decades - thanks for the memory.

Those Salmon boats, both trollers and gillnetters, were a pretty standard 34' - 36' double ended displacement boat, many with Model A engines and some still with the old make and break Easthope thumpers.  Some of the galleys were pretty clean....many were very primitive and filthy, but they seemed to get along OK.

If you buy Mexican Coca-Cola, you'll taste the difference instantly - made with real sugar.....and it's goood.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 657 Officer
    Grew up fishing - they have pictures of me in diapers with flounder and largemouth bass.  I was teaching non-fishing folks how to tie knots at the age of 5.  Absolutely love it.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,429 Admiral
    gogittum said:
    10kman said:
    Mary- Minn.
    1st was a Trout at age 8 with my uncle, but got into Bullheads and Chub on the Fraser River - alone - with a handline by the time I was 10.

bswiv said:

I spent summers in my early teens in the little town of Lund on the B.C. coast and was soon fishing the floats with a handline.  Catch Shiners for bait, then go after Rockfish and Ling Cod in an old lapstrake rowboat.  Lund was the last place on the way north where you could buy ice and supplies, so a lot of Salmon fishermen stopped for a rest and to stock up.

Some of the Japanese fishermen took an interest and helped coach me and I learned a lot.  Then they showed me how to open a can of sardines with the key, leaving the top attached on the narrow side.  They'd pour some soy sauce into them, then put them on the Coleman stove to warm them up.

Haha....hissing and spitting and crackling - they'd spray oil and soy all over the stove and counter.  But man, they were good.  Hold the lid of the can with a piece of cloth and hook the 'dines out with a fork.  Mmm-mmm-good.  Haven't thought of that in decades - thanks for the memory.

Those Salmon boats, both trollers and gillnetters, were a pretty standard 34' - 36' double ended displacement boat, many with Model A engines and some still with the old make and break Easthope thumpers.  Some of the galleys were pretty clean....many were very primitive and filthy, but they seemed to get along OK.

If you buy Mexican Coca-Cola, you'll taste the difference instantly - made with real sugar.....and it's goood.
    MEXICAN COKES!!!! YES.......the real thing!!!
  • keylargo359keylargo359 PSN / KEYLARGOPosts: 1,357 Officer
    Can't remember which one came first. it was either a mangrove snapper off the catwalks on the old Keys bridges or a blue runner off the old concrete pier at south beach when the pier was the dividing point between south beach and Miami beach. now its all south beach. I was 3 or 4 years old Those are some memories. more than 60 years ago wow where did the time go.
    The worst day of fishing is still better than the best day of work:\