Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

11/19/22 Withlacoochee

I’ve been out of town for a while and had a hankerin’ for some freshwater fun.  I launched at the Turner Camp ramp in Inverness and ran upriver a mile or so.

The weather was mostly cloudy and a bit breezy but manageable.  The water level is moderately high and temp at 62*F.  I usually have more success with lower water levels in this stretch of the river but ya gotta work with what you have.

I fished in the shallower off shoots of the river, casting near floating duckweed areas.  I caught fish anywhere there was good current running.  I fished the main body of the river without much success. With the river at this level, the water is well into the trees.  There are too many places for a fish too hide (that is my excuse anyway.)

I decided to try fishing in warmer water so I headed down river to Gum Slough (a spring run).  Unfortunately, two large trees have fallen and are completely blocking the entrance.  Perhaps a canoe or kayak could wriggle through but I wasn’t able to get my 1448 john boat by.  Too bad, this has always been a good area to catch small bass in colder months. 

I ended up boating 8 Bass, a Warmouth and several obligatory Bowfin.  None were of bragging size with the largest at 16” (some Bowfin were bigger).  All were caught on plastic worm dragged along the bottom. 

Replies

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,647 Captain
    The Withlacoochee is always fun.  I've done well down there, too, but prefer farther upstream - Bonnet Lake, Bennett Lake, Annie Lake and the stretches in between.  Very scenic, too, and never crowded.

The weeds were almost impassable in Bonnet Lake last summer, but it's opening up now.  I prefer launching at Trail's End, but used PaPaws then.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,846 Moderator
    That stretch of river holds lots of fish. been fishing from there down to 200 bridge for almost 60 years. When it's cold I do good in the canals off the river. River itself is good for catfish.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 220 Deckhand
    gogittum said:
    The Withlacoochee is always fun.  I've done well down there, too, but prefer farther upstream - Bonnet Lake, Bennett Lake, Annie Lake and the stretches in between.  Very scenic, too, and never crowded.

The weeds were almost impassable in Bonnet Lake last summer, but it's opening up now.  I prefer launching at Trail's End, but used PaPaws then.
    I like that part of the river too. Perhaps the most scenic. Several times I've launched in Nobelton and ran up river to Hog Island, and down river as far as the 48 Bridge. I haven't had much success in that area. As much as I like it there, your response makes me want to go give the area another whirl.
  • CrabtrapCrabtrap Posts: 220 Deckhand
    That stretch of river holds lots of fish. been fishing from there down to 200 bridge for almost 60 years. When it's cold I do good in the canals off the river. River itself is good for catfish.
    Catfish...something I've been meaning to target for some time. "Alex From Georgia" gave me an accidental catfish a coupled of years ago. It reminded me how tasty those nasty looking fish are.
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,846 Moderator
    Crabtrap said:
    Catfish...something I've been meaning to target for some time. "Alex From Georgia" gave me an accidental catfish a coupled of years ago. It reminded me how tasty those nasty looking fish are.

Find the right fall down with current and fish upstream. Can get fun fast.
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,706 Captain
    You done good Jim.  Save some for me.