Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Dock repair

Anyone know someone that can sink (replace) a few pilings for a dock at a reasonable price?  I'm in Apollo Beach.

Replies

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Moderator Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,479 Moderator
    Did you move? Unfortunately I don't know anyone over there. I'd go to TA Mahoney's and pick some brains. 
  • hook_emhook_em Posts: 312 Deckhand
    Did you move? Unfortunately I don't know anyone over there. I'd go to TA Mahoney's and pick some brains. 
    Yeah, I moved.  

I'm  actually going to try to sink this myself, without a barge  :open_mouth:

Wish me luck.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Senior Member St. PetersburgPosts: 2,690 Captain
    There is nothing that can go wrong with this plan :)
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,947 AG
    edited November 2022 #5
    hook_em said:
    Yeah, I moved.  

Wish me luck.

Get enough help to make it safe and a decent trash pump and nozzle to jet it in properly. Two on land or existing dock to guide and plumb from different angles using 2x4s or similar and two in the water. One on the jet nozzle and another  guiding the piling in the water. 

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

hook_em said:
    Yeah, I moved.  

Wish me luck.

Get enough help to make it safe and a decent trash pump and nozzle to jet it in properly. Two on land or existing dock to guide and plumb from different angles using 2x4s or similar and two in the water. One on the jet nozzle and another  guiding the piling in the water. 

Thanks.

Here is said piling.  My wife and I got it from our driveway to the back of the house.  It is quite heavy.

If you look at the pic above at the farthest piling on the left....  The middle of that piling is really bad.  Boards have been bolted to it so many times the middle has rotted away.

So, my plan is to sister the new piling to it.  I'm going to chain them together at the water line while the new one is floating.  Then I'll tie a rope to the top and the bottom and try to pull it vertical.  Once it is vertical I'll bind them, then use a pump to sink the new one.

Like Paul says, what could possibly go wrong?

Took two come-alongs, a chain hoist, two neighbors and over 6 hours but we got it and nobody got hurt.  Probably wouldn't try this again, though.

• Reel-LuckyReel-Lucky Moderator Oldsmar, FLPosts: 3,479 Moderator
    Nice job brother.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Senior Member up a creek without a paddle tampaPosts: 13,405 AG
    Good job
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • CaptainBlyCaptainBly Senior Member St. PetersburgPosts: 2,690 Captain
    And then....I will let Burch share the rest of the story.  Lets just say Burch has not had a good day.  
    In Loving Memory of James Zielske, January 19, 1957-July 5, 2013