Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Where do people hang out

krashkrash Posts: 844 Officer
This site/thread has been very very slow for a long time.. Many other forums have come and gone, but the FS one of the originals has lived on. Other forms of social media have taken the limelight, as most are "like" driven and more of a post and forget or hope... rather than an interactive experience.

Where do the old, and new, kayak fisher people hang out online now days ?
Old Fugger who just likes to fish

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,127 Captain
    LOL....older farts like myself like forums, but the younger ones want it instantly and post on Instagram.  Facebook has some kayak fishing groups.  South Florida Kayak Fishing Club is the most applicable for my area.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/SoFlaYakClub

Some yakkers don't even post there and have small groups on Whats Up and GroupMe.
  • krashkrash Posts: 844 Officer
    Yea, I miss the old days.... IDK where most people are now.
    It was great years ago, people ask questions, get a ersponse, you could search for answers to the questions that get aasked and answered many times over.

People would post get togethers, and tournaments that you just don't see on FB or blast and hope social media sites.. we've all lost touch.

Its sad that even the employees of Florida Sportsman, who several paddle, don't even post or check in here.
  • John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,127 Captain
    Only a matter of time before this forum gets absorbed into another category.  About the only kayak forum that gets regular traffic is Big Water's Edge.  It's a West Coast forum based out of Southern California that is also a shadow of what it was a decade ago.  About 25-50 members check it daily and an average of about 3 new comments per day....It's still pretty slow.  Offshore kayak fishing is in decline, while freshwater bass kayak fishing continues to flourish.   The sponsors donate more money than for offshore tournaments.  A guy I know recently won 45K in a large-mouth bass kayak tournament.
  • DES51DES51 Posts: 268 Deckhand
    New England Kayak Fishing at one time was a very active site. That site also was disbanded around a year ago due to inactivity. Quite a few fishing sites in general have closed up shop recently or are just barely hanging on. 
  • Chrystal_MurrayChrystal_Murray FloridaPosts: 22 Deckhand
    Krash, Not sure if you remember me from Osprey Bay Outdoors back in the day? My husband, MacDill John passed away two years ago and I've moved back to Tarpon Springs. I don't have friends here anymore to fish with. If ever you, or anyone else would like to kayak fish I would be happy to join in. Been fishing at Salt Springs, by myself. It's okay fish wise but kind of lonely.

Otherwise, Happy Thanksgiving to all the old and new forum members! 
    To me a sad demise.. old school OG been hanging on for years. Kayak Fishing Stuff and Paddle Fishing.com were the OG sites for Florida folks. The good days were when DOA had a great inshore tournament, and Jackonsville had another every year. Both were kathering and meetup places for kayak fishing.

Funny you would say Cali. is active, Cali was the first place I saw people fishing from Kayak. I used to spend a lot of time in my work life, computer & internet work, in SF and LA areas.

NE area, started my computer career in the early '70's and spent much time in the Boston area.. Back in the early computer days 128 was the place to be,  but never really looked into the fishing scene.. to many bars and college students.
    Krash, 🙂 I meant Salt Springs (Run) in New Port Richey!

Do you remember reading about California kayak fishing exploits from a guy named, " "Spike"?
    edited November 24 #10
    Not sure I remember a Spike... but my old memory ain't what it used to be.
    Some of what happened was many people started their own web-forum site and people split up...  diluting the mass's more and more, people loose interest and move on.. the the youngsters, I say that with respect but I am in the older crowd now, jumped into the social media side of life.

As life moves on a couple have passed, a few years past, then Hank, Terri, then BoneFish Whisperer, and recently FishHead.....

I fish mainly alone now, and kind of like the solitude, but want to reconnect with Vivian, Connie and Pete in Choko soon.
    I miss Hank. He was such a good fishing friend; kind, generous, gentle. We went on numerous trips to Double Branch. Just us. I have a beautiful framed photo he took of shrimp boats in the Anclote River. His annual pictures of wildlife at Yellowstone were amazing. 
    Chrystal, Tarpon Springs is quite a haul for me, but I do get to Tampa once in a while to visit my son, but when I do get a chance to fish up there it's usually on his 25 Pathfinder in the Bay or 20 miles offshore for bottom fish...

Sad to say, I've only lived in Florida for 70 years and I had to look up where Tarpon Springs was.. and my sisters just recently visited there and were talking about the sponge divers.
  • kayakerinkeywestkayakerinkeywest Posts: 671 Officer
    My old stomping grounds back in California has the Northern California Kayak Anglers forum.  http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/  It is still doing well and pretty active.  Different coast but if you are wanting info about general kayak fishing, ton's of great info there.  Invaluable if you are actually fishing California as lots of hookups, meetups, tournaments, lots of reviews and tech info on kayaks, gear, and how-to's.   

I think forums will have there place but just like a business, you need someone to be putting in the work to keep it relevant + keeping the bad stuff out.  Microskiff and Bloodydecks are a couple of good general fishing forums that seem to be doing good.

Dennis Spike is an old West Coast Kayak fishing salty.  Started up kayakfishing.com.
    Youtube - KEY WEST KAYAK FISHING https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkGY6yxE8kogYHKXisMhA2w
    All About The Bait Store - http://www.allaboutthebait.com/
  • Sonnyboy16Sonnyboy16 Gainesville, FLPosts: 150 Deckhand
    ALL of the FS Forums suk now. Not as if there was any support from FS for at least 10 years....