Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Briquets

gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,808 Captain
Watching one of endless YouTubes just now, an English carpenter is building some kind of big project...not sure quite what yet, but that's fine.

Thing that grabbed me.....his shopvac system, including power tool dust catchers all feed into a big hopper, which is connected to a briquet press.  All his sawdust, shavings, sweepings, whatever, go into that press and finished briquets about 2" in diameter come out the other end.  He just breaks them off to desired length.

Then he uses them to help heat his shop.  That struck me as really excellent thinking and I love it.

Replies

• GardawgGardawg Senior Member IslamoradaPosts: 16,395 AG
    this is a pretty cool idea too ...

https://agriculture.newholland.com/eu/en-uk/equipment/products/agricultural-tractors/t6-methane-power

T6 METHANE POWER

GALLERY

T6180 Methane Power Powered by Nature

New Holland Methane Power production tractor at work

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery
    t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PLM STRATEGY

T6 METHANE POWER

t6-methane-power-powered-by-nature

PRODUCTION T6.180 METHANE POWER. POWERED BY NATURE.

The New Holland T6 Methane Power is the world’s first 100% methane powered production tractor and is key to CO2 reduction without compromising performance. The T6 Methane Power tractor is the final piece of the jigsaw to complete the virtuous cycle of the Energy Independent FarmSM concept. Farmers can make use of agricultural or animal waste (as well as specifically-grown energy crops), to generate biomethane, which powers the tractor, which, in turn, helps to grow those very crops. Alternatively, refilling can be performed directly from the gas grid network or at specific biomethane stations New Holland can provide an eco-friendly solution to all your business needs.

t6-methane-power-concept

t6-methane-power-concept

NEW HOLLAND METHANE POWER CONCEPT

Winner of the first Sustainable Tractor of the Year award edition.

t6-methane-power-true-sustainability

TRUE SUSTAINABILITY

With the same levels of power as its diesel equivalent, you also benefit from up to 30% lower running costs. Producing 99% less particulate matter, reducing CO2 emissions by 10% and overall emissions by 80%, when using biomethane near-zero CO2 emissions are achievable.

t6-methane-power-tested-and-ready-to-work

TESTED AND READY TO WORK

Since the first prototype in 2013, New Holland has continuously tested Methane Powered tractor prototypes around the world. In 2021 the first production tractors started to appear in fields near you.

t6-methane-power-energy-indipendence

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE

The Energy Independent FarmSM concept is at the heart of New Holland’s Clean Energy Leader® strategy, a vision, launched over a decade ago. The T6 Methane Power tractor is key in completing the Energy Independent FarmSM concept, closing the loop of a complete CO2-neutral cycle – from field to energy generation and back to field.

t6-methane-power-proven-technology

PROVEN TECHNOLOGY

The T6 Methane Power features an all-new NEF 6.7L engine specifically developed for agricultural applications by FPT Industrial, a leader in natural gas powertrain technology, with over 20 years’ experience and 50,000 natural gas engines produced to date.

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • 4WARD4WARD Senior Member Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,968 Captain
    We keep our mill work dust collection bin separate from everything else. People have been getting it for decades. All toxic wood or non formaldehyde free dust goes to the landfill.
     Not an easy task.
    Luckily for them, we know what NOT to put in there. Good luck just grabbing it from anywhere, just saying.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Moderator Posts: 25,081 Moderator
    gogittum said:
    Watching one of endless YouTubes just now, an English carpenter is building some kind of big project...not sure quite what yet, but that's fine.

Thing that grabbed me.....his shopvac system, including power tool dust catchers all feed into a big hopper, which is connected to a briquet press.  All his sawdust, shavings, sweepings, whatever, go into that press and finished briquets about 2" in diameter come out the other end.  He just breaks them off to desired length.

Then he uses them to help heat his shop.  That struck me as really excellent thinking and I love it.
    Compressed wood briquets are a big deal in Europe for heating. When the box board mills closed in Port St Joe, a lot of the excess pulpwood was converted to pellets and shipped to Europe. 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,808 Captain
    edited October 2022 #5
    Gardawg said:
    Yah, another great idea.  Mother Earth News has been promoting it for over 40 years that I know of.
    The guy fascinated me.  He's a skilled, talented, imaginative, meticulous workman in Yorkshirre, England, so I followed up. 

He gives a full video on how to build his pellet pusher.....but I mis-doubt many people will build one for themselves anytime soon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ri62uzLoss

His video list has quite a few entries.

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,607 AG
    Gives a whole new meaning to Rolling Coal.
    Sad. I like when the hood shakes and the tires smoke.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    gogittum said:
    Gardawg said:
    Yah, another great idea.  Mother Earth News has been promoting it for over 40 years that I know of.

That's why I missed it.  Haven't read it in 40 years.  B)
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
    4WARD said:
    We keep our mill work dust collection bin separate from everything else. People have been getting it for decades. All toxic wood or non formaldehyde free dust goes to the landfill.
     Not an easy task.
    Luckily for them, we know what NOT to put in there. Good luck just grabbing it from anywhere, just saying.
    I just clicked a "like" on this yesterday, but I understand what you're saying.  I think when most of us are working on a project, we just keep our work area clear and sweep it as we go......shavings, sawdust, etc.  You're right - nothing toxic should go in there.
  • madm002madm002 Junior Member Posts: 212 Deckhand
    Gardawg said:
    this is a pretty cool idea too ...

https://agriculture.newholland.com/eu/en-uk/equipment/products/agricultural-tractors/t6-methane-power

T6 METHANE POWER

GALLERY

T6180 Methane Power Powered by Nature

New Holland Methane Power production tractor at work

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery
    t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

t6-methane-power-gallery

FIND OUT MORE ABOUT THE PLM STRATEGY

T6 METHANE POWER

PRODUCTION T6.180 METHANE POWER. POWERED BY NATURE.

The New Holland T6 Methane Power is the world’s first 100% methane powered production tractor and is key to CO2 reduction without compromising performance. The T6 Methane Power tractor is the final piece of the jigsaw to complete the virtuous cycle of the Energy Independent FarmSM concept. Farmers can make use of agricultural or animal waste (as well as specifically-grown energy crops), to generate biomethane, which powers the tractor, which, in turn, helps to grow those very crops. Alternatively, refilling can be performed directly from the gas grid network or at specific biomethane stations New Holland can provide an eco-friendly solution to all your business needs.

t6-methane-power-concept

t6-methane-power-concept

NEW HOLLAND METHANE POWER CONCEPT

Winner of the first Sustainable Tractor of the Year award edition.

t6-methane-power-true-sustainability

TRUE SUSTAINABILITY

With the same levels of power as its diesel equivalent, you also benefit from up to 30% lower running costs. Producing 99% less particulate matter, reducing CO2 emissions by 10% and overall emissions by 80%, when using biomethane near-zero CO2 emissions are achievable.

t6-methane-power-tested-and-ready-to-work

TESTED AND READY TO WORK

Since the first prototype in 2013, New Holland has continuously tested Methane Powered tractor prototypes around the world. In 2021 the first production tractors started to appear in fields near you.

t6-methane-power-energy-indipendence

ENERGY INDEPENDENCE

The Energy Independent FarmSM concept is at the heart of New Holland’s Clean Energy Leader® strategy, a vision, launched over a decade ago. The T6 Methane Power tractor is key in completing the Energy Independent FarmSM concept, closing the loop of a complete CO2-neutral cycle – from field to energy generation and back to field.

t6-methane-power-proven-technology

PROVEN TECHNOLOGY

The T6 Methane Power features an all-new NEF 6.7L engine specifically developed for agricultural applications by FPT Industrial, a leader in natural gas powertrain technology, with over 20 years’ experience and 50,000 natural gas engines produced to date.

This is a great idea, where I grew up in farm country you could have run fleets of these tractors, especially the guys milking cows.  However, due to the  high NIMBYism effect, it would only work in really rural areas.  You city guys would not understand.
    at that price one would need a large farm to justify the purchase