Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Boondocking / Camping lights

rudyengrudyeng MemberPosts: 530 Officer
Hey guys  I wanted to share my camping light setup. I'm eliminating the generator 100% and going with a battery and solar panel. Over the years the generator was just a waste of fuel and not the best thing for the environment. This is what I  will be using this year. The output is amazing. Consumes les than 5 amps and last about 4 nights on a Walmart 100 amp/hr marine battery. (Cost $80)

The lights are regular work lights from amazon spec: Exzeit Waterproof LED Work Lights for Truck, 150° Flood Led Light Bar. In total the build cost is less than $75 including the aluminum stock.

Everything is removable and stores within the UTV

Best of luck !

Rudy

Replies

• 4WARD4WARD Senior Member Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,968 Captain
    Rudy,
     Why the heck do you need a mobile power pole?
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
  • rudyengrudyeng Member Posts: 530 Officer
    No more generator for me. I eliminated the hassle of hauling all of that extra fuel & Gen 4hrs each way to hunt camp at BC. I will post updated picks once I finalize the setup. They light up the area really well.

The advancement of LED technology in combination with the new solar panels makes this a great option.  
  • bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Senior Member Posts: 2,204 Captain
    looks like they might be good for crappie fishing also..👌
    Update: 4.4 amp draw total. Very bright

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,603 AG
    I use Solar yard lights . No need to look like a Football Stadium at night just a soft glow where you need it.
    Self-powered and moveable with ground stakes. 
    About 15 bucks each.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    Lights worked better than anticipated. I'm going to throw in a on/off/all rocker switch to lower the amp draw. This will allow me to use 1 or 2 lights as needed. 
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,900 Captain
    I like it! We used to connect to the truck battery and needed to make sure the truck got driven daily to be safe. Please describe the solar panels (size, price) for this novice? Thanks
    Currently using cheapo Walmart battery. I will upgrade to the system shown below (Next Paycheck)
     I'm learning as well.

• 4WARD4WARD Senior Member Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,968 Captain
    Rudy,
     Many of the led lights are rated for 12-36 Volts.
     Have you looked into setting it up at 24v? Another $80 battery might be all you need if you are just looking for more run time.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    Wow your right about that. The lights can run 12/24 Volts. Thanks for the heads up !   

Light spec on amazon: Exzeit Waterproof LED Work Lights for Truck, 150° Flood Led Light Bar, 90W 4200LMS Off Road Lights,4.3inches, 12/24 V Led Light Bar
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,603 AG
    Gonna look like a freakin Rock concert going on in the woods.
    Everybody will be blinded around the campfire.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 1,234 Officer
    i did the same thing few years back     no more generator or fuel or tent    got a good deal worked out at motel in everglades city to camp at when i hunt big cypress    another in naples when at picayune strand   labelle for ok slough and dinner island.   pretty much got campsites all figured out for bout 10 wmas.   
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Senior Member Posts: 698 Officer
    During summer we use the ac so generator is needed but once it get cooler  we bust out the car battery’s and small ryobi inverter for our power needs everything from 12v to 120v 
     Can even run the inverter from ryobi batteries 
  • H20dadH20dad Senior Member Posts: 3,494 Captain
    So, almost none of you camp. You complain AC ruined the state, but can’t go camping without it, most of you use crossbows during bow season, you can’t walk so you all use electric bikes. 

What else am I missing here?
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 1,234 Officer
    H20dad said:
    So, almost none of you camp. You complain AC ruined the state, but can’t go camping without it, most of you use crossbows during bow season, you can’t walk so you all use electric bikes. 

WhaH20dad said:

What else am I missing here?

game cameras    you forgot game cameras       
  • H20dadH20dad Senior Member Posts: 3,494 Captain
    Yes. Forgot those. Lol. The kid I’m trying to help learn to hunt. (He’s hopeless.) Put up a bunch of those around a wma away from where I was hunting.  He killed nothing. 
  • HollywoodcorollaHollywoodcorolla Senior Member Posts: 698 Officer
    We(I)  work hard and hunt alot 
    if it’s not enjoyable why do it ? 
    If the person wants some electric in the woods so be it. 
     Not everyone only uses cold showers and picks garbage cans for food 

• FloridahuntFloridahunt Palm BeachPosts: 300 Deckhand
    I know I’m spoiled. I slept at my friends camp at the Big Cypress a week ago and couldn’t handle it without running fans. Can’t wait until it cools down.
    edited November 2022 #21
    BC opener is going to awesome. The water level was still a little high a couple of weeks ago not sure if it's gone down. Gathering  some oak and fire wood for the camp this week. Finally replacing the old Coleman lantern with the new LED setup.

I highly recommend a 12v rechargeable fan. I think they are about $35 on amazon. Used it during archery & ML and it makes a big difference.