Skip to main content
Home Fly Fishing

Honestly ... why not use a beer can?

sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer
edited October 30 in Fly Fishing #1

True story, I have almost never targeted a freshwater fish.
I have caught: maybe 4 small bass, a few salmon in Alaska, a char in Iceland, some speckled and brown trout in Colorado. I am definitely completely without expertise in going after fish in rivers, streams, and lakes, and with anything smaller than a 6 weight.

But, why in the heck does anyone spend hundreds of dollars on a freshwater trout reel?!?!??

The fish have no strength, no weight, don't run, and don't take drag. From what I gather, most casts are measured in a couple dozen feet, at most.

Please ... "bow and arrow" cast?
[email protected]?

People actually catch them quite nicely with 10-feet of string and a tenkara rod. No reel, no drag, no backing line.

The idea of purchasing a $700 4-weight fly reel is laughable.
It serves no purpose, and the drag and reel is never used.
Do you just want to carry your line on a pretty spool?
And a $1000 bamboo rod?

Just wrap your 40 feet of line around a beer can ...

Mark

grace finds goodness in everything ...

Replies

• ivnivn gvillePosts: 228 Deckhand
    You can get  serviceable fly rod/reel combo for under $50 at various big box stores.  Right next to the $20-40 spinning combos. 

I don't spend more than that on fishing stuff, catch no more/less than expensive equipment (until you get into the "bought a boat and truck to tow it" expensive).

• BooBooBooBoo Vero Beach Fl and Ft. Lupton ColoradoPosts: 240 Deckhand
    edited October 31 #3
    Sunflower, you are pretty much correct. Until salt, for me a reel on a fly rod was a simple device to hold line. Not much more. However, in the last couple years I’ve been going after carp from time to time. Carp have some shoulders!  I still use a $50.00 reel on a glass 8wt Fenwick for them and it works just fine. As for trout…. A 6 wt Glass Fenwick with a good ole Medalist reel I bought when I was 16 does just fine. I have never been taken to the backing. Also, for fresh water there is really no corrosion issues. I agree, not much need to drop a bunch of coin on a trout setup…… but here in Colorado…. A lot of guys sure do! Can you imagine leaving your expensive fly reel in the salt water like I do with my medalist in fresh water in Colorado?
  • tarpon41tarpon41 Posts: 300 Deckhand
    Provocateur...7wt Igniter Abel 3N
  • sunflowersunflower osprey, floridaPosts: 721 Officer

Point taken.
    There are obviously plenty of big freshwater fish that deserve a decent rod and reel.
    Salmon in rivers, carp, steelhead. But, bigger fish on bigger rods in bigger currents.

My point remains: what is the use of expensive rods and reels below 6-weights?

You don't need the extra line, ability to cast far, or drag.

Mark

Sunflower,
    I’m sure not all folks that drive a Lamborghini go 160 either. For some folks, having the finest available is important, necessary or not. Tarpon41, dandy fish!  
  • troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    Sunflower< didnt you once write you like "pretty clothes" ? Sort of same thing, you like nice stuff. I fish trout extensively out west and mostly you are right about not needing much in the way of a reel. I started out with a Bass Pro package that cost $89.00 total but , fishing on the Mo in below freezing, all my reels froze and the gears stripped . I switched to a modestly priced but machined reel (Orvis mid arbor) and problem solved . Also on the Missouri, Bighole, and Beaverhead, I've been in the backing a number of times on 5x tippet with big rainbows and browns and a reasonably smooth drag necessary there. On the South Holston in Tenn 6x is the norm and fish take drag. But all in all, you generally , as you said use the reel to store line. Below is a spring day in Montana where I needed a machined reel.

That's a nice fish!
    I love pretty clothes, pretty fish, pretty places, and catching the fish in pretty ways ...
    with pretty rods and reels!

But, the idea of a $3000 5-weight bamboo rod and $1000 Tibor reel to catch a 8 inch fish ... oy

Gotta call it a "glamour slam."

Mark

• troutbomtroutbom Posts: 409 Deckhand
    I got to admit, for my own purposes, I agree completely with you.
    edited November 5 #11
    3 weight!!

Mark

My 3 wt is a 3 piece Cabelas 8 foot rod. Rod, reel and line I have less than 100 bucks in it. Works great! Different strikes for different folks!  
    I bet those are fun to catch. What are they called?
    Mark

edited November 8 #14
    Bluegill. The one at the top is a largemouth bass. This was a couple years ago when I was living in rural WV. There was a lake close to the house that I would take the kayak into. Top water foam spiders. Ate a bunch of meals off that inexpensive 3 weight. 
    correction, that 3 wt is 7.6!  
    edited November 8 #16
    Those big bull bluegill pull (proportional of course) like a jack. Just a hoot on a light fly rod. Many come right out of the water to grab a popper. Fun!  Like being a 12 year old kid again with my old Shakespeare Wonder rod and a couple cork poppers. Expensive rods would have made zero difference in the pleasure of the experience. But, I sure would have not faulted the guy with his 3k dollar setup as long as he had fun. 
  • idlerickidlerick Littleton, Colorado & Sarasota, FlaPosts: 247 Deckhand
    What do you drive, Sunflower? A 76 Dodge Dart? Or a newer luxury model? Where do you live? Trailer park or gated community?
    I agree that I'd never be tempted by a $3000 bamboo rod, but some  might, and who am I to knock them? You take expensive fly trips, while others fish for crappie and stay home.
    We spend money for different reasons. 
    I fish nicer reels and rods for trout. Not the top of the line, but certainly nicer than I need. Ross and Loomis. Sage and Abel seem extravagant to me. Some of those trout run 12 inches, some 25. I don't care if I land them, so a beer can would do me fine. But I like to see my wife in nice clothes, my kids in jeans with no holes, and I like keyless entry and automatic seats. 
    Spend it on what you like and can afford. I will too. And so will the $3000 bamboo rod fans. 
    Is this a great country, or what?
    :)
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,982 Captain
    edited November 18 #18
    Awesome sack of fish, Boo! Crazy how white their eyes are, filter? 

Who would of thought that a guy that calls himself “Sunflower” and is proud to wear flamboyant clothes while catching oversized saltwater shiners on a overpriced stick would have the nerve to look down on other fishermen that catch real eating and fighting fish….. 😉 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
    Hey guys, I guess I didn’t take Sunflowers comments as an attack on expensive equipment or those that use it. Or, as looking down on others. Just a spirited inquiry into something I’ve actually asked myself. But, I think I can say with certainty, even if I could afford 3k for a flyrod, I wouldn’t own one. And, this forum has been pretty dead, maybe he was just trying to liven it up a bit? 
    I’m a blue collar guy and always have been. The fish in the pics were a gift and every bite was savored and appreciated. Anyway, the white eyes on the bluegill are from them being in a bucket of water in the kayak. 

• JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,982 Captain
    edited November 18 #20
    BooBoo said:
    Hey guys, I guess I didn’t take Sunflowers comments as an attack on expensive equipment or those that use it. Or, as looking down on others. Just a spirited inquiry into something I’ve actually asked myself. But, I think I can say with certainty, even if I could afford 3k for a flyrod, I wouldn’t own one. And, this forum has been pretty dead, maybe he was just trying to liven it up a bit? 
    I’m a blue collar guy and always have been. The fish in the pics were a gift and every bite was savored and appreciated. Anyway, the white eyes on the bluegill are from them being in a bucket of water in the kayak. 

That must of been a blast in a kayak and fly rod. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • MissedMissed O-townPosts: 657 Officer
    Exciting post.  I see the same question for about everything.

Was watching some guys drift fishing the ICW down here this past year.  Drifting with the tide, short shots up along the shoreline, 20-30 strips, up and back to a diff spot.  They were good, no waste movements, accurate.  

Never wondered about their equipment.  Never compared it to my own stuff - I do need a new reel, 6 wt.  Small waters kind of stuff.

As for those folks spending all that money on the extendable rods with a 10-20 ft piece of flyline on it, pretty sure they just don't understand the ugliness of it all.  Same for the guys with 12 wts trolling streamers for marlin.  IMO, flyrods were designed for a mayfly/stonefly/caddis hatch and dry flies.

I actually drive a 20 year-old Toyota Tacoma!
    I'm definitely not hating.
    If someone says "I just like catching a trout on a $700 dollar reel."
    I'd say- "Rock on, Wayne!"
    My wonder is because, presumably, a $700 reel costs $700 because it performs.
    It has great drag, hold lots of line, and reels in and out super-smooth.
    (or, at least, that is the saltwater argument)
    I just wondered if a beer can "perform" as well?

Would you buy a $500,000 sports car that looked fabulous, but didn't actually run?

Look, here's my $2000 G Loomis and Islander reel on my $15,000 truck. Noted oxidized paint on cab of truck. Rod & reel are pristine.

Mark

Ha! My 2001 Tacoma is my Florida fishing truck!  First new vehicle I ever bought. Gave it to my daughter in 2008 when I got banged up bad and couldn’t drive a stick. She gave it back last year and I drove it to Fl to leave there for my fishing wheels. My most favorite vehicle I ever owned. Still going strong.