Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

How Come?

Big MakBig Mak Senior MemberOn the Edge or Going DeepPosts: 5,897 Admiral
How come there is no discussion on yesterday's school shooting? Too commonplace now? Not a big enough body count? I surely thought the anti black rifle and anti 2A fanatics here would have had this front and center by now.... I have my theories...

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,959 AG
     Doesn't fit their stereotype.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici Senior Member NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 8,384 Admiral
    I heard something but I have no details.
    As usual a white supremacist?
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    Not my blame if you do something that matches what I don't like.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • 1outlaw1outlaw Senior Member Naples FLPosts: 1,861 Captain
    I was not aware but then again I do not watch or read much news these days.
    Jason :USA
  • HigHig TallyPosts: 106 Deckhand
    No, a 19 year old black kid who was a former student. Somehow he got into a locked school that had 7 security guards inside. He was carrying 600 rounds in multiple magazines.
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici Senior Member NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 8,384 Admiral
    Hig said:
    No, a 19 year old black kid who was a former student. Somehow he got into a locked school that had 7 security guards inside. He was carrying 600 rounds in multiple magazines.
    Ouch. That hurts. The dignity (the few that remains) of who usually speculates on that kind of craziness...
    Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    Not my blame if you do something that matches what I don't like.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • stc1993stc1993 Senior Member Posts: 10,408 AG
    I think it said he was killed.
  • Mister-JrMister-Jr Senior Member FLPosts: 29,852 AG
    How does a maniac in America get a semi auto rifle with 600 round of ammo, and not get noticed?
    Vote for the other candidate
  • GardawgGardawg Senior Member IslamoradaPosts: 16,388 AG
    Because it's not unusual? 

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • dave44dave44 Senior Member Chesterfield, Va.Posts: 18,749 AG
    I have a feeling the word “maniac” doesn’t mean the same as it used to and is probably a new swear word that we should never say.

I think we call that guy a “good boy” so that he didn’t get offended.  Think of it like a participation trophy.
    Disturbed is a better choice of words.

It doesn't vilify everyone who has mental problems.  Which is half the population.
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Junior Member Posts: 1,010 Officer
    Because he doesn't fit the "crazy white kid" stereotype so not near as much coverage.
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Captain
    His manifesto said he was lonely, had no friends or family. Never had a girlfriend. Isolated with no social skills. Like all these other young men I’m sure there were warning signs that were ignored or missed
  • Big BatteryBig Battery Senior Member Central NCPosts: 22,820 AG
    Mister-Jr said:
    How does a maniac in America get a semi auto rifle with 600 round of ammo, and not get noticed?

Ask his parents? 
  • TarponatorTarponator Senior Member Under a BridgePosts: 19,741 AG
    edited October 2022 #15
    It seems to me you guys are more worried about these events than anyone here on the other side of the issue -- which explains the lack of a topic until you started one -- yet, sadly, school shootings are happening once a week these days.

This incident was notable, to me at least, in that the school was relatively secure and had a lot of the things (metal detectors, etc.) people seem to think will protect against these types of terrible events.

It's almost like the problem is something else that I can't quite put my finger on....

Thankfully, however, is that in this latest case the gun jammed and the cops came correct.

What's your theory, Mak?
    Epidemic of loneliness.

No kidding. 

No friends.

No family.

No socializing.

No purpose in life.

That's bound to be depressing.

https://www.phoenixmenscounseling.com/blog/the-epidemic-of-male-loneliness-why-do-so-many-men-feel-lonely

Because he doesn't fit the "crazy white kid" stereotype so not near as much coverage.
    crazy white kids don't get shot ... they get a cheeseburger on the way to the station 
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,959 AG
    Gardawg said:
    Epidemic of loneliness.

No kidding. 

No friends.

No family.

No socializing.

No purpose in life.

https://www.phoenixmenscounseling.com/blog/the-epidemic-of-male-loneliness-why-do-so-many-men-feel-lonely

That’s why they invented prostitutes.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 2,791 Captain
    edited October 2022 #19
    Was he white?  Did he cross state lines?
    If not, the insurrection delusional folks don't care.
  • Big MakBig Mak Senior Member On the Edge or Going DeepPosts: 5,897 Admiral
    It seems to me you guys are more worried about these events than anyone here on the other side of the issue -- which explains the lack of a topic until you started one -- yet, sadly, school shootings are happening once a week these days.

This incident was notable, to me at least, in that the school was relatively secure and had a lot of the things (metal detectors, etc.) people seem to think will protect against these types of terrible events.

It's almost like the problem is something else that I can't quite put my finger on....

Thankfully, however, is that in this latest case the gun jammed and the cops came correct.

What's your theory, Mak?
    My thoughts align with Conchy. I am not surprised though at the general lack of knowledge concerning this incident. Even in my own case, I would not have known about it except that my young teen son told me about it shortly after it happened.

The point being that this instance is lacking (to me) in sufficient media coverage. I suspect, that had the poor, lonely perp been of a different, paler color the coverage would have been more readily broadcast.

You see, I see no color in these atrocities, but I have started to believe the biased media does. To be honest, I'm surprised law enforcement aren't feeling some heat for killing the poor,  wayward kid. I guess even "they" know they can't sell their brand of spin on this one. 

It's awful, and every day I pray for the safety of my kids and their schools; even the country.  Nobody is immune from this. I think we can all agree on this. What we can't seem to agree on is the solution, if in fact there is one. 
  • Tony RomaTony Roma Senior Member Posts: 3,861 Captain
    If it bleeds it leads, body count not high enough to garner much attention , sounds cold but it’s my opinion
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Senior Member up a creek without a paddle tampaPosts: 13,408 AG
    Big Mak said:
    How come there is no discussion on yesterday's school shooting? Too commonplace now? Not a big enough body count? I surely thought the anti black rifle and anti 2A fanatics here would have had this front and center by now.... I have my theories...

Has nothing to do with body count.
    Has nothing to do with it being another school shooting.
    Has nothing to do with the "black rifle"
    Has everything to do with..............
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • stc1993stc1993 Senior Member Posts: 10,408 AG
    Gardawg said:
    Epidemic of loneliness.

No kidding. 

No friends.

No family.

No socializing.

No purpose in life.

That’s why they invented prostitutes.
    I thought that was his problem.  He wasn't getting any.  No friends, you have to be a friend.
    edited October 2022 #24
    Big Mak said:

What's your theory, Mak?
    My thoughts align with Conchy. I am not surprised though at the general lack of knowledge concerning this incident. Even in my own case, I would not have known about it except that my young teen son told me about it shortly after it happened.

The point being that this instance is lacking (to me) in sufficient media coverage. I suspect, that had the poor, lonely perp been of a different, paler color the coverage would have been more readily broadcast.

You see, I see no color in these atrocities, but I have started to believe the biased media does. To be honest, I'm surprised law enforcement aren't feeling some heat for killing the poor,  wayward kid. I guess even "they" know they can't sell their brand of spin on this one. 

It's awful, and every day I pray for the safety of my kids and their schools; even the country.  Nobody is immune from this. I think we can all agree on this. What we can't seem to agree on is the solution, if in fact there is one. 

I think you're seeing what you want to see -- it was all over the news.

There is a solution -- one that is effective across the world -- but you won't like it.

The senseless killings will continue....and prayers haven't worked yet.
  • dave44dave44 Senior Member Chesterfield, Va.Posts: 18,749 AG
    Gardawg said:
    Epidemic of loneliness.

No kidding. 

No friends.

No family.

No socializing.

No purpose in life.

And a couple of years of Covid isolation to help him stew in his loneliness.
    Mister-Jr said:

Ask his parents? 

Months before a 19-year-old shooter opened fire Monday inside a St. Louis high school, his family told police he had a gun and had it removed from the home, officials said Wednesday.

The family were aware the gunman had mental health struggles and did “everything that they possibly could have done” to help him —including getting him therapy and medication and committing him on several occasions — but “sometimes that’s not enough,” interim St. Louis Police Chief Michael Sack said at a news conference.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/family-removed-gun-suspect-st-louis-high-school-shooting-police-say-rcna54136

• MontgomeryMarkMontgomeryMark Posts: 498 Deckhand
    TAKE THE GUNS!
  • supratentorialsupratentorial FLPosts: 2,791 Captain
    So, the family and police failed again...

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,603 AG
    So we'll sue Smith and Wesson...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • cadmancadman Senior Member Posts: 43,167 AG
    So, the family and police failed again...

The cops removed the gun and gave it to another responsible adult. They are still trying to figure out how he got it back My guess is some responsible adult is going to be in trouble. Most states have laws against giving weapons to a person not legally allowed to have them. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

Was it the same gun or did he go out and buy a new one?