Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Well dang, didn't want to hear this

FlashFlash Senior MemberChiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,492 AG
edited October 2022 in Off Topic #1
Went in for the results of my yearly blood test to find out my cholesterol is livable, but my Bilirubin is high. This has to do with your liver.
The causes:
Alcohol ( I really do not drink much)
Refined Carbs (guilty)
Packaged, canned, and smoked foods (Yikes!!!)
Raw or under-cooked fish or shellfish (not me, that's bait)
Beef and pork
They took more blood and I am scheduled for an ultrasound this next month.
I am not looking forward to this.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield

Replies

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Senior Member up a creek without a paddle tampaPosts: 13,427 AG
    Good luck.

THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Moderator Posts: 25,081 Moderator
    What was your reading?  

Do you drink a lot of water? 

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 5,309 Admiral
    Hoping for the best. 
    LGBT
  • BallaCoiPersiciBallaCoiPersici Senior Member NW Italy (Laveno Mombello)Posts: 8,384 Admiral
    Flash said:
    Went in for the results of my yearly blood test to find out my cholesterol is livable, but my Bilirubin is high. This has to do with your liver.
    The causes:
    Refined Carbs (guilty)
    Beef and pork

Who did the list of causes? At least a couple misses...
    I'll send you a MP and obviously my best wish  ;)

Massimo (former Ballak) - Please, be patient for my English
    ********************************************************************************************************************************
    I'm typing keeping close my "pasta hole"!
    Political correctness is a mental disease that can put you in slavery. The only cure is to turn on the brain.
    Not my blame if you do something that matches what I don't like.
    Vulgus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur
  • Docked WagesDocked Wages General Fishing Administrator Rockledge / BahamasPosts: 3,127 Moderator
    Good luck Flash, you got this!
    Mark Wilson
    USCG 100t Master, Assist Tow, 200nm Coastal
    Marine Surveyor, SAMS, ABYC, IAMI, FMIU
    Wilson Yacht Survey, Inc. 
  • GardawgGardawg Senior Member IslamoradaPosts: 16,418 AG
    Do you feel sick?

Hope it's an easy fix !

"Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • Big MakBig Mak Senior Member On the Edge or Going DeepPosts: 5,909 Admiral
  • Tarpon65Tarpon65 Senior Member Sarasota, FloridaPosts: 7,196 Admiral
    Flash, when you live the Bi-lifestyle you always risk getting Bilirubin (plus some other nasty things).  

Hoping for the best for ya, and I apologize for a couple of the A-holes on here posting silly crap! 
    Always Do Sober What You Said You'd Do Drunk. That Will Teach You To Keep Your Mouth Shut. - Ernest Hemingway
  • FlashFlash Senior Member Chiefland/Cedar KeyPosts: 12,492 AG
    What was your reading?  

I do drink flavored carbonated water, plus tap water. I might see 2 beers a weeks and 2 mixed drinks/soda a week. That is tops.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    Flash said:
    The causes:
    Refined Carbs (guilty)
    Beef and pork

Who did the list of causes? At least a couple misses...
    I'll send you a MP and obviously my best wish  ;)

Just good ol Google

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Gardawg said:
    Do you feel sick?

Hope it's an easy fix !

Not really.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• stc1993stc1993 Senior Member Posts: 10,420 AG
    I had a liver biopsy years ago.  They stick a whole thru your belly and take a piece of liver.  I was a 1 no bridging fibrosis.
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,975 AG
    Wishing you the best Flash.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Flash said:
    What was your reading?  

I do drink flavored carbonated water, plus tap water. I might see 2 beers a weeks and 2 mixed drinks/soda a week. That is tops.
    Well, lets see what further testing does. The liver is amazingly resilient. I cut out carbonated waters years ago except for tonic water. I also drink 6 or 7 glasses of tap water per day. Very little bottled water.

An old Doctor told me many years ago the you need to drink one glass of water for every glass of alcohol. My bilirubin is fine but I stagger to the bathroom a lot. 

If this is the first time it's shown up, you should be able to reduce it by lifestyle changes. Let us know. We'll keep you in our thoughts.

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• TarponatorTarponator Senior Member Under a BridgePosts: 19,743 AG
    Hope all goes well, Flash.
  • Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Senior Member up a creek without a paddle tampaPosts: 13,427 AG
    Yep, like ferris said, you can change a lot of stuff with lifestyle/eating habits.
    NOT FUN, but it's for the better.
    Took me a while to learn that lesson.
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • conchydongconchydong Senior Member Posts: 13,975 AG
    edited October 2022 #19
    Flash said:
    What was your reading?  

Well, lets see what further testing does. The liver is amazingly resilient. I cut out carbonated waters years ago except for tonic water. I also drink 6 or 7 glasses of tap water per day. Very little bottled water.

An old Doctor told me many years ago the you need to drink one glass of water for every glass of alcohol. My bilirubin is fine but I stagger to the bathroom a lot. 

If this is the first time it's shown up, you should be able to reduce it by lifestyle changes. Let us know. We'll keep you in our thoughts.
    Wow, that's a lot of water. :)

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

Flash said:
    What was your reading?  

Wow, that's a lot of water. :)
    Tell me  about it. Lol

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,626 AG
    This place is starting to sound like The Villages...
    I drink 2 Beers , have 1 shot and a couple Puffs every night and I got Nothing wrong with me.... So far..
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • stc1993stc1993 Senior Member Posts: 10,420 AG
    When i had liver problems they told me to drink 1/2 my body weight in ounces a day. It came out 98 ounces a day.
    I did a lot of urinating about every 30 minutes.  I had to take the bad meds every day and once a week shot.  I stayed in compliance 99%  of the time on the meds.
  • TarponatorTarponator Senior Member Under a BridgePosts: 19,743 AG
    Drinking enough water is something I've struggled with.  Try to make it a point to drink 16 oz when I wake up and a liter after dinner / before bed.  It's hard to remember because I'm generally just not thirsty.
    I drink 2 Beers , have 1 shot and a couple Puffs every night and I got Nothing wrong with me.... So far..
    So all this BS about gator hunting, deer hunting, traipsing through the woods is all garbage? 

You're really a gigolo living in The Villages?

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• AC ManAC Man Senior Member OcalaPosts: 7,283 Admiral
    I am about your age and diabetic 25 years. I also drink probably 10 times more alcohol and my numbers are fine. I have never heard the term   Bilirubin. I'll check that out. You got ZERO to worry about unless you have high liver numbers. That's all that matters? what are your liver numbers and where do they rate on the scale of good to bad.Thats all that matters. Get your blood work printed out and see how you stand. They owe it to you. I get the print out  quarterly.
  • MontgomeryMarkMontgomeryMark Posts: 500 Deckhand
    Same.  I drink a minimum of 1 gallon of filtered water per day. Have for 40+ years. Drink a few licker cocktails daily. Daily flower smoker. Late 50's. No prescription drugs. Feel great.

Everything in moderation, is my take.
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Senior Member Real close to the Fakahachee StrandPosts: 11,626 AG
    So all this BS about gator hunting, deer hunting, traipsing through the woods is all garbage? 

You're really a gigolo living in The Villages?
    I Could be... But my Viking Blood keeps me living on a dead-end dirt road killing snakes with a Machete and howling at the moon...
    I'm not here to make Friends.
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    AC Man said:
    I am about your age and diabetic 25 years. I also drink probably 10 times more alcohol and my numbers are fine. I have never heard the term   Bilirubin. I'll check that out. You got ZERO to worry about unless you have high liver numbers. That's all that matters? what are your liver numbers and where do they rate on the scale of good to bad.Thats all that matters. Get your blood work printed out and see how you stand. They owe it to you. I get the print out  quarterly.
    Well I only do them yearly unless something is going on. Liver numbers Bilirubin in one of them so surprised you are not aware of that.  ALT (7-52) mine is 32, ALP (35-144) mine is 75, AST (13-39) mine is 20, Bilirubin (0.300-1.000) mine is 1.500

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

My daughter in law does not like me drinking cold water. She said that is bad for you. That is mainly what I drink for dinner (sometimes half a beer and some water). I always drink cold water from the fridge. Something I have been doing since I was a kid. When we go to town, I take a cup of cold water to sip on. The carbonated water (Clear water) is somewhat new. I do see some have sucralose and aspertame in them, but I never pour a cup of them, more so take a swig when I thirsty.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]