Skip to main content
Home Boating

Hydraulic Steering Seals?

pstmacteepstmactee JacksonvillePosts: 29 Deckhand

Who do you use for ordering Seastar hydraulic steering seals? A close buddy of mine bought the cheap ones from Amazon and they only lasted a couple months. Looks like Boats.net doesn't have any. 

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Replies

• SeaBoss180ccSeaBoss180cc Posts: 90 Deckhand
    The reason they usually go is pitting on the ram. Those will nick the seals and start the leaks. Happened to me and it was just easier to replace the whole steering ram assembly.
  • Alex from GAAlex from GA Posts: 1,706 Captain
    Like SeaBoss said nicks on the ram.  It is the same thing with dirt bike fork seals.  Take a fine stone and make the ram smooth.  I buy my seals @ a bearing house.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 586 Officer
    I had the ram go bad on one of my boats, too bad to clean-up and reuse. I believe it was caused by the motor falling to one side while trailering. I started using a couple of short PVC pieces to keep it centered. Don't forget to take them off when you launch, they'll make you scramble around kind of like forgetting to put the plug in. 
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 157 Deckhand
    West marine shows them in stock
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,771 Captain
    Any good working marine dealer (the folks you take your motor to for service) - will not only have the correct parts (I'd never go to Amazon for something that had to be right...) for that SeaStar unit.  Also a skilled outfit will either be able to completely re-build it for you or know exactly who to send it out to for a proper re-build... Like most I  had to learn the hard way about steering rams myself... Since then I make a point of periodically using some Triple Guard grease on the exposed ram (wipe it on, rub it in, very little is needed to keep that ram free of pitting.  I've just come off of six out of the last eight days on the water (Flamingo and Chokoloskee...) so you learn to take care of your gear - or start reaching for that checkbook... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • StankBaitStankBait Posts: 422 Deckhand
    These guys may have the parts for home repair
    They do rebuild cylinders
    Couldn't get the ends off so I bought a new one.
    Good Luck

FLUID TECHNOLOGIES
    3477 Lakeshore Blvd.
    Jacksonville,  FL 32210

Phone: 904-384-9659
    Email: [email protected]
    Web: www.fluid-tec.com
  • NickhoogNickhoog Posts: 1,475 Officer