Skip to main content
Home Northeast General Fishing & The Outdoors

Still shimping?

creekgeekcreekgeek Senior MemberPosts: 1,207 Officer
Are there still shrimp south of the Buckman?  Anyone throw nets during the day further north and east seeing anything?

Replies

• bustedheadbustedhead Junior Member JacksonvillePosts: 6 Deckhand
    Went a week ago. Had to search for them on incoming tide. 11' I found them nice size. South of the Buckman
  • BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 425 Deckhand
    Railroad bridge Ortega River, several boats throwing for shrimp. 
    Fishing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/@jeffbattlefish

BattleFish
  • capciofficapcioffi Senior Member Fleming IslandPosts: 846 Officer
    Went out Saturday afternoon and they are still there outside Club Continental. I was getting about 8-15 per throw, and every now and then a better number. The size is definitely better. I would like to know what kind of numbers they are getting out of Ortega.  
  • Big Bend BrianBig Bend Brian Senior Member Ponte Vedra (Palm Valley) & Cedar Key, FLPosts: 1,459 Officer

I’ve been out three times over the last week ranging from late afternoon to late morning focusing on the Doctors Lake area just outside the inlet. It’s been hit & miss. For me the best tide seems to be near the top of the incoming. Prior to that tide it’s been 2 - 3 – 8 schrimps a cast with a 9 foot net. Some zero’s as you move around to try to find them. Best has been in 13 – 16 feet. They are still here but only once were they running. Results have been 2.5 – 5 gallons but it’s taken a bit of time to get them. Still fun.

Not a lot of red legs and mostly mediums.

Last year I was schrimping till mid-November but it had slowed down significantly.

Have heard poor reports from a friend and also an acquaintance about the Shands Bridge area over the weekend. Both said it was few schrimps.

Brian

• livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 159 Deckhand
    was at Ortega this morning getting bait. 4 to 6 a throw on Sadler Point side of bridge. 1 to 3 on Hutkins side.  size is better but it would be slow if your'e getting them for eaters. Wind was not nice on the river.
  • bswivbswiv Senior Member Posts: 8,475 Admiral
    Hard to imagine with all the fresh water coming from down south.........but there are still shrimp being caught at night around Palatka. 

Louann had a bit of work today that took us down SR 17 then across SR 40 and back up SR19........which means we went across the St. Johns in Palatka, then at Astor and then across the Ocklawaha on the way back north. 

Still water in yards and up in some structures in Astor, the Ocklawaha is WAY out into its floodplain, Palatka was just "high".

Lots of water to come north once we get a good couple of days of NW wind.......

Also noted traveling schools of mullet on the north side of the bridge in Palatka this morning.

For what all that is worth.

And then there is this. On Thursday Louann and I threw the net for about a hour on the rising tide over near Orange Park. Had 3 1/2 gallons once the picking was done, maybe 20% by numbers went back over the side.

• JoeCoolJoeCool Member North East Arlington JacksonvillePosts: 130 Deckhand
    We plan to go to Dr Lake shrimp hole just to catch a couple dozen bait shrimp then fish a few docks tomorrow or Tuesday. Has anyone tried the shrimp (or fishing) recently?
  • bswivbswiv Senior Member Posts: 8,475 Admiral
    JoeCool said:
    We plan to go to Dr Lake shrimp hole just to catch a couple dozen bait shrimp then fish a few docks tomorrow or Tuesday. Has anyone tried the shrimp (or fishing) recently?
    Friend caught a limit on Mandarin Point right after dark using bait on Thursday..........and there are still shrimp down to at least the north end of Little Lake George in numbers sufficient for bait so I'd bet you are good to go.

Besides that. There are quite a few shad out there, which when hung on a hook will catch lots of stuff.......and not suffer as much small fish abuse.

You can also chunk them up a little and catch catfish and reds that way.
  • icantfishicantfish EarthPosts: 64 Deckhand

Plenty of shrimp still around had no problem getting a limit in about 30 minutes from shore in the Ortega area. If we don’t have a cold winter they will be here for a while longer and on a good note they have spawned again and again if we don’t have a cold or wet winter come next June there will be some good size shrimp around. 
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Senior Member Posts: 1,207 Officer
    We got about a half bucket this morning before the air show. We were outside doctors inlet to the north about 1/4 mile. Best depth was 12 to 14ft.
  • JoeCoolJoeCool Member North East Arlington JacksonvillePosts: 130 Deckhand
    Thanks so much!
  • BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 425 Deckhand
    Throwing my castnet for mullet and threadfins this morning near Lakeshore ramp and caught 2 dozen or so large shrimp in 5-7' of water. A couple boats at marker 18 off Moose Haven. 
    Fishing YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/@jeffbattlefish

BattleFish