Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

I don't know what's sadder, the fishing or this forum

Fished Thursday and wish I hadn't.  Weatherman really munched a waffle.  Instead of the 5-10 they forecast it was a steady S at 15 and stormy.  Started right at the Whistle Buoy off Ocean Reed (buoy no longer there) and trolled for grouper till south of Carysfort with no bites.  Anchored perfectly on a spot in 75' only to learn current was a trickle into the wind.  This of course is the kiss of death.  Moved in shallower to 50' to try and get away from the south current but no luck.  With tough conditions got 7 yellowtail and one legal red grouper.  Released two short grouper.  After a while with no bites moved to a nice spot in 98'-100' where I always had results but no current and not bites.  After bumping heads for hours and the wind shifting to WSW, I decided to try some deep drop.  First 4 spots had nothing, but the last spot produced 6 vermilion and 2 yelloweye.  So final tally was 7 YT, 6 verms. 2 yelloweye, 1 red grouper, and two very sore old dudes from all the pitching and rolling from the sloppy weather.  To add insult to injury we came in with massive storms and rain.  Nothing like getting pissed on after an entire day of getting beat up.  Which leads me to the next complaint.  What's up with the lack of reports on this forum?  Is anybody fishing?  Or is the fishing so bad that nobody wants to admit they had a slow day?  I'll be the first: fishing sucked!

Replies

• conchydongconchydong Pompano BeachPosts: 13,431 AG
    Xenia, I haven't been able to fish in almost a year. I had major back problems and a surgery and I am still in rehab but I expect to get doctors clearance to start fishing again soon. My buddy has been out without me some and has had similar results. Even the Verms he had to pick through to find keepers.  My nephew did get into a few  ARS of of Lauderdale in the 280' range recently but they were all shorts. Don't know if that is a good sign for the future or not.

“Everyone behaves badly--given the chance.”
    ― Ernest Hemingway

• Mackeral SnatcherMackeral Snatcher Posts: 13,220 AG
    I've had worse days.
    At least you got out and got some groceries.............count your blessings :)
    THERE SHOULD BE NO COMMERCIAL FISHING ALLOWED FOR ANY SPECIES THAT IS CONSIDERED OVERFISHED.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,771 Captain
    Finally have some bookings in the backcountry (I know it's a completely different world than bluewater east coast fishing....) but right now the mullet run is in high gear and the fish are biting along the west side of the 'glades.  Didn't want to say much about it since I'm booked for tarpon on fly the first two days, starting tomorrow - then will be on the water six out of the next eight days, half out of Flamingo and half out of Chokoloskee..

It's that time of year... My "second season" for tarpon is at its best and there's so much bait along the coast that if you toss a net - you'll need to open a panel or two - just to be able to pick it up... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • MangroveMarkMangroveMark Oak HillPosts: 504 Officer
    Xenia, you must shift your expectations to today's fishing and cherish your past catches as great memories. This would be an "epic" catch for many anglers these days,HaHa.....As for other recent catches; My buddy out of Boynton who fishes at least once or twice a week has been catching dolphin every trip for the last month, schoolies with a few nice gaffers mixed in.
  • Maverick1Maverick1 Posts: 293 Deckhand
    Offshore bottom fishing has declined so much off the Whistle Bouy. Every so often I'll get a big mutton on the super deep wrecks but more often they'll  get sharked. We've focused more on inshore mutton fishing over the  past few years. Simple plan: Find the bait, find the fish!

• xeniaxenia Posts: 1,165 Officer
    Nice.  I looked for pilchards but couldn't find any.  With a 3 1/2" draft I can't get into the shallow water though.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,805 Captain
    Got to know when to stay, and when to go home.