Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

" Shallow Water Beast" Homosassa 10/6/2022

Ruff OneRuff One Senior MemberHomosassaPosts: 2,280 Captain
Finally the weather turned beautiful and everything looked go to go fishing. Plan for the day was to gather up some pinfish and go try to call in some cobia. Usually this is a good time to cobia fish. Crew was Mrs. Ruff and Gary. We hit marker 4 and I knew right away our plans would change. No grass! I always have my trolling gear on board so the plan changed to a grouper trolling trip. Headed out to 12ft and started a troll. Right away mackeral cuts off my new plug. Bad start. Leave that spot and head to the 15 to 17ft area. Wasn't long and we find some good bottom and as a bonus a hugh bait ball. Machine is marking grouper suspended at 10ft. First pass double. We get doubles on every pass. But, shorts, all in the 23 inch range. Finally Gail puts a 26in er in the boat.
Then Gary puts a 25 in er in the boat.

We get a lull and we decided to head out to 20ft. Start the troll and nothing? Bite has stopped, at least in 20ft. Not even a pesky lizard. We keep at it for a good hr and the crew is giving me the evil eye. So, we clear the plugs and had back to shallower water in the 14 to 16ft range. Start the troll and nothing at first. That the machine lights up with two really nice rocks connected by a ledge in 14ft. I call Gary over with a " Look at these rocks. There is grouper there!" The plugs reach the rocks and both rods bend completely over. I really thought maybe they might break! Gary's goes slack. His grouper had ripped the hooks off the plug. My fish was hooked good. I knew he was a good one. He's pulling drag and all my reels are locked down. Really nice tug of war with this fish. He comes to the boat and when he sees the boat he goes crazy. Really thought I would lose him at that point. Gary sticks him and he comes aboard.

Gail had to get in a pic.

This guy can eat a lot of big fish.

At this point we load up and head in. Nice day, beautiful blue sky weather, flat seas and a really good catching day. To top it off, a really true shallow water giant. Stats. Length 37inch. A true 20 + pounder. Enjoy.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Replies