Skip to main content
Home South General Fishing & The Outdoors

Feeding the National Guard in Port Charlotte

I am heading down with some friends Sunday the 9th to provide food and drinks for the National Guard down there in Port Charlotte. If you want to help out in person, we are going to be there at around 1000 to set up. Looking at about 250 people to serve. I'm doing wings, venison chili, pork butt, and others are bringing fish to fry. What had originally been thought to be about 100 has grown to about 250, and I'm afraid of running out of food. Never done anything like this before and I have to say it has gotten a little overwhelming - LOL.  If anyone can join us with food, drinks, or just help, please let me know.

1120 Centennial Blvd, Port Charlotte, FL 33953

If you can't join us, even a small donation would help us get more food and drinks for these guys.

Email me if you want more details. [email protected]

Thank you.

Replies

• PoplinFabricationPoplinFabrication Senior Member Dania Beach, FLPosts: 340 Deckhand
    Little late on the response but just sent an email to see if we can help. 
  • grey2112grey2112 Member Posts: 379 Deckhand
    MISSION SUCCESS!

WHEW! This 56 year old is BEAT but happy with what we pulled off yesterday. Thanks to the help of my incredible wife,  MANY people (most of whom I've never met before), including the man responsible for herding this group of cats, Jason Thompson. My good friends Anthony Snipes, Mike Fischer, Jeremy Johnston joined me to help serve and cook, many of my friends (Tony Pastore, Matt Leach, Justin Adams) co-workers, family members (Elizabeth Field Payne, Carol Field), neighbors and numerous people donated money and goods (a woman I've never met donated $300!!! and a SeaTow captain in my area who I don't know from Adam named Patrick Lamb donated $200 - all told, about $1000 in cash donations from all over), we were able to feed over 250 people in Port Charlotte yesterday. Most were Florida National Guard, but we also fed linemen from TX, tree trimmers, Parks and Rec people from Charlotte and Pinellas county, sheriffs, security personnel from Miami, EMTs and Paramedics from all over Florida, FEMA disaster response crews, etc.

70 pounds of fried fish (thank you Eduardo Del Castillo!!!), 180 burgers, 30 quarts of venison chili, 40 pounds of wings, 6 BBQ pork butts, hundreds of bags of chips, sweet snacks, corn bread, water, soda, energy drinks, YooHoos, gatorades, candy - big thank you to my neighbor Craig Duncan for lending me his enclosed trailer - allowed us to only have to take my Expedition down with my 3 buddies instead of two trucks, though I only got 7.5 mpg due to how MUCH stuff we had in the trailer - yikes!

We ended up being a LOT lighter on the way back, as we handed out all excess items to everyone to help keep them going over the next few days/weeks. I truly feel blessed to have had the opportunity to do this with my existing and now many new friends, and to do this for people that are working hard to return things to normal down there.

• MGDMGD Senior Member Boca RatonPosts: 1,248 Officer
    Amazing 
    Great job!!!!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Senior Member Posts: 4,796 Captain
    Good on 'ya... When real trouble comes calling there are always great folks who step up.. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666