Skip to main content
Home Southwest General Fishing & The Outdoors

Pine Island and Ian

RStyleRStyle Senior MemberBoynton BeachPosts: 1,725 Captain
So sad. I have been going to Pine Island every year in September for maybe 15 years and maybe more. Always stayed at the Manu Lani in Bookelia. Over the years we became friends of the owners. Always a de stressing and relaxing feeling going out those canals on the first day of fishing when the sky was starting to get pink. Getting to the Shacks and the Oyster Bars by sunrise with the tide starting to come in.

I have to assume that it is all gone although those Shacks have survived many things over the years.......

Very sad. That was one of the few and beautiful remaining spots of Old Florida

Replies

• exodus125exodus125 Junior Member Posts: 10 Deckhand
    I have been wondering what kind of damage cayo costa received. I have bot seen anything on the news about it. 
  • nhkevnhkev Member Posts: 124 Deckhand
    from what i've gathered is bokeelia survived pretty well.  Cayo Costa did as well.  Matlacha has been destroyed as well as much of St james city.   Sanibel, Ft myers beach also decimated.  as the bottom of the hurricane was washing water onto St james down to Naples the top part was pulling water out of Charlotte Harbor .  The points in the upper middle of cirlcle had the winds but not the storm surge.  unfortunatley the causeway of pine island road is gone in multiple locations and will take many months to repair.  My house was badly damaged roof blown off and because I have no way out to the island I have no way to repair it so it doesn't get worse.  my boat is on my lift with no electricity and no way to get it since my trailer is also on island.  It's a mess.  heart goes out to all that have lost lives, their homes, jobs, and businesses.
  • FloridaODFloridaOD Senior Member Posts: 4,439 Captain
    Thoughts to all.
    every relationship has a cost.
    here, your connection to place. 
    it’s a place worthy of the cost
    Keep us posted if you wish 
    Hunters are present yet relatively uncommon in Florida :wink
  • RStyleRStyle Senior Member Boynton BeachPosts: 1,725 Captain
    Good luck NHKEV. Pine island is a very special place. Hope you can get back to your property and boat soon.
  • nhkevnhkev Member Posts: 124 Deckhand
    I paid a charter capt to drive me over to the Island.  my place is a complete loss.  lost my roof and the roof structure.  On top of that I had flooding come up from the floor.  Too bad I just remodeled the place last year.  Fema also told me because it was a 2nd home I don't qualify for any federal help.  bummer.  Bridge is now open to drive on Island will be trying to get back over there to gather salvagable things.  Hopefully there will be some type of program to help me demolish it and take it away.
  • DES51DES51 Junior Member Punta GordaPosts: 277 Deckhand
  • CaptJCaptJ Senior Member Key Largo (Mostly)/Miami(As little as possible)Posts: 1,904 Captain
    Really sucks! Irma got us and I'm feeling your pain. Keep up your great attitude.