Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

River this morning.....................

Based on where the shrimp were last time we went we put not only the taped 5/8 net but also a untaped 5/8 in the boat this morning, both 10ft. The reason for the untaped net is that a few days ago the shrimp did not move out to the deeper edge with any speed......and were rather thick in 7- 9 feet of water. In that depth there is no need for tape.......and the net sinks faster, tickles the bottom better, is easier to retrieve, throws nicer and shucks out the shrimp more cleanly. 

All of that listed above results in more casts in a shorter amount of time, which in the shallow water means more shrimp faster. Does not always work that way, obviously........but worth thinking about.

So we started with the untaped net in about 8 feet and by the time we put it up we had well over 3 gallons. Put it up because it was obvious that with the bright blue sky the shrimp were tailing off to the deeper edge. Caught the last couple of gallons with the taped net in 14-15.

Launched at 9:00 and were putting the boat back on the trailer at exactly 11:00.

Culled about 5-7% of what came over the side. Fewer had red legs today than last week.....for what that is worth. In my mind it means they are stable.

And I'd add that early on when we were tossing in the 7-9 foot depth we noted quite a few smaller shrimp skipping through the net. Which of course means that there are plenty more to grow up if things stay consistent with the weather.

This was on Mandarin Point......but I've got to believe that they are much the same on most of the spots north and south of there.

Replies

• creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,183 Officer
    Thanks Ben! Was just about to post looking for an update. Have date with a tree and a bow this weekend but sure would like a few shrimp for eating. Maybe next week.
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,402 Admiral
    creekgeek said:
    Thanks Ben! Was just about to post looking for an update. Have date with a tree and a bow this weekend but sure would like a few shrimp for eating. Maybe next week.
    Mosquitoes will be glad to see you!!
  • chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 338 Deckhand
    Slim pickens in Palatka this morning out going tide
  • dixiedaddixiedad Posts: 421 Deckhand
    Thanks for the report Ben.
  • creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,183 Officer
    bswiv said:
    creekgeek said:
    Well, maybe this breeze will hold up and help me out a bit but I'll be wearing clothes treated with permethrin and sitting with a thermacell. Maybe he'll come by around 0745 and I can get things wrapped up early.😀
    creekgeek said:
    bswiv said:
    creekgeek said:
    Well, maybe this breeze will hold up and help me out a bit but I'll be wearing clothes treated with permethrin and sitting with a thermacell. Maybe he'll come by around 0745 and I can get things wrapped up early.😀
    creekgeek said:
    bswiv said:
    creekgeek said:
    "permethrin"......yes...for sure.

Louann and I just came back from changing a couple of game cams along the roads and checking a couple of timber stands we thinned earlier in the year. Trust me.....if it's as it is here where you are you'll need the repellents(s).

But......it may also be a very good morning to site as we noted one buck chasing a doe this afternoon.

Good luck.