Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Dove hunting without a field?

b3legob3lego Orlando/SevillePosts: 13 Deckhand
edited September 22 in General Hunting #1
Hi all! second post on this forum!

Dove season starts this week, and I plan on doing something not really "traditional". I don't have access to any kind of field to hunt over like most people do from what I'm seeing, so I'm going to lake George WMA to hunt doves in the swamps and pine forests, walking around and shooting them if I see one. I've seen plenty of them in the forest during the early hours.
Has anyone ever done this style of dove hunting and if you have, can you share some tips? Replies are greatly appreciated!

Replies

• AlwaysLearningMoreAlwaysLearningMore Posts: 216 Deckhand
    I've done some of this in SW Florida in scrub areas with scattered pines.  I've had mixed results but if I walk enough miles I generally get some shots.  I have almost convinced myself that I do better by just walking fairly rapidly through the woods rather than trying to be stealthy.  I think doves sitting up in a tree are going to see you coming no matter what, and if you look like you're being sneaky they seem more inclined to fly away from you before you get in range.  If you look like you are just walking in the woods I THINK you'll have more birds jumping closer to you.  Animals seem to sense when they are being hunted.
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,527 Captain
    If you can find some burned areas hunt there. 
  • JonsredfishinJonsredfishin Posts: 2,926 Captain
    edited September 22 #4
    We used to kill tons of them back when I belonged to TRT’s club on the Keaton Beach side in cutovers. There’s a plant that grows in cutovers full of seeds they love. We’d literally see migratory flocks of 500 at a time working in, it was private, but you might be able to find some fresh cutovers to hunt on public. 
    One president put a man on the moon.
    Another president put a man in the Lady's bathroom.
  • b3legob3lego Orlando/SevillePosts: 13 Deckhand
    I've done some of this in SW Florida in scrub areas with scattered pines.  I've had mixed results but if I walk enough miles I generally get some shots.  I have almost convinced myself that I do better by just walking fairly rapidly through the woods rather than trying to be stealthy.  I think doves sitting up in a tree are going to see you coming no matter what, and if you look like you're being sneaky they seem more inclined to fly away from you before you get in range.  If you look like you are just walking in the woods I THINK you'll have more birds jumping closer to you.  Animals seem to sense when they are being hunted.
    Yeah, that's what I noticed when I scouted the area about a month ago.
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,406 Officer
    Back in the day some people would ride backroads with a 22 and shot the heads off of dove sitting on telephone lines or so I have been told..
  • gator4evergator4ever Posts: 2,655 Captain
    ragweed is the weed that comes up in cutovers.

Back in the 60s 70s and 80s the muck around Belle Glade was loaded with ragweed so we always had plenty ot birds. But since then modern ag has eliminated the weed. Today you are hard pressed to find any doves in the area that was once loaded with them.

Times have changed 
    "sometimes it's OK just to kill a little time" my grandpa 1972
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 1,071 Officer
    pines along fencelines with a water source close by.   poke a screwdriver thru both of your front pockets creating a small hole   little bigger then a sunflower seed      then to repair the holes in your pockets fill your pockets with bird seed and walk that fenceline and thru those pines scouting or looking for sheds and what not       3 days later or next weekend scout the area again but dont forget to repair those holes again with bird seed    all that scouting will disturb the soil causing new growth which might attract a few doves and you will have your own private area.   
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 425 Deckhand
    Check the Hunt dates, it should be Archer season there. I know its Public land But You may walk up on a few unhappy guys in tree stands. So be careful. 35 years ago In the Ocala Nat Forest I was walking back to my truck around noon time on a road you could drive a car on. I heard a noise and looked up..A guy up in a pine tree on edge of road was at full draw aiming his bow at me..I said something to him and he said he was pissed off that I was walking down the road while he was hunting. I said "Dude its a road, people will be using it to get to places"...Now this was a road you can drive a car or truck down and he may have had other hunters drive or walk past him.. 
  • meateatermeateater south flaPosts: 1,071 Officer
    RobertR said:
    Check the Hunt dates, it should be Archer season there. I know its Public land But You may walk up on a few unhappy guys in tree stands. So be careful. 35 years ago In the Ocala Nat Forest I was walking back to my truck around noon time on a road you could drive a car on. I heard a noise and looked up..A guy up in a pine tree on edge of road was at full draw aiming his bow at me..I said something to him and he said he was pissed off that I was walking down the road while he was hunting. I said "Dude its a road, people will be using it to get to places"...Now this was a road you can drive a car or truck down and he may have had other hunters drive or walk past him.. 
    that drives me crazy      the amount of people who set up treestands or blinds directly on or just off main trails       then get all angry when someone walks by.  had this happen so many times i just say your on a main trail      public land       go -**** yourself and walk right by.    my favorite is the guys who set up turkey decoys right on a main trail then stand up waving there arms like you should turn around or go a mile outa your way to avoid them.
  • James243James243 Posts: 843 Officer
    I would have serious issues with someone aiming at me like that. That’s no bueno
    James243 said:
    I would have serious issues with someone aiming at me like that. That’s no bueno
    Yeah for sure..."pew pew"
    edited September 24 #13
    If you can find a cattle feed lot with a dead pine tree next to it youre set....
  • RobertRRobertR Posts: 425 Deckhand
    James243 said:
    I was 24 years old and in really good shape at the time, its likely I could have had a good fight with him. After he let his bow down  we had words.. he kept putting his hand in his pocket.. I think he had a hand gun in his pocket but never brought it out... Dude was really weird and seemed like he had plenty of issues.. It was also the last day of bow season and was a poor year for bow hunting..at least for me. I decided to try an area that my neighbor kept telling me to go to.. I did that afternoon..walked in with a climber and found some acorns dropping and more than enough deer sign. I found a good tree for my climber. After about 30 minutes I hear and see a big doe running towards me.. I remember thinking "at least I will see a deer today.. well she got about 18 yards away and suddenly stopped, she put her head down and I hit full draw with 20 yard pin in her pocket.. As the arrow was heading at her she picked up her head, something white in her mouth.. Arrow hit looked perfect and she ran about 40 yards and drunk walked 3 steps and piled up. When I pulled the bloody arrow out of ground there was a mushroom with a bite taken out of it near arrow, that was the white thing I saw in her mouth at the shot. The next 3 years I tagged a few deer in that area with my bow. But it soon got crowded there with bears, people and the ticks were really bad there.. After that I put more time in at The old Ft McCoy WMA  and that also went away.. 
    edited September 25 #15
    Update !
    Started my dove hunt in a big pine forest. Doves were cooing all around me and I spent a good time looking for them. finally found one sitting in a longleaf pine about 20 yards away and blasted him. Hunted a little more in that area and then moved to a clearcut field I found in the wma at about 9 o clock. Didn't find much there. I think those pines are where most of the doves are but I'll have to go again to confirm.

Only got one this time but I'm happy as this is my first time. I'm sure I'll get more than one next time.
    edited September 24 #16
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/qyJNWg2WuAq1HgcVA

Here's a photo of the area I got the dove, sorry it's in the form of a link. if someone knows how to embed Google photos on the forum, please tell me
     Thanks
  • 4WARD4WARD Cross Creek,FLPosts: 2,858 Captain
    Check those phase 1 regs. Just sayin. I believe it’s noon till 30 min after sunset but I may be wrong.
    "I hate graveyards and old pawn shops
    For they always bring me tears
    I can't forgive the way they rob me
    Of my childhood souvenirs"... John Prine
    edited September 25 #18
    4WARD said:
    Check those phase 1 regs. Just sayin. I believe it’s noon till 30 min after sunset but I may be wrong.
    You got me worried for a sec 😂

I just checked the FWC website, and they just list dove as half hour before sunrise till sunset. Didn't see special restrictions or asterisks or anything about "phases". Or maybe I'm looking at the wrong place?
    https://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/birds/

See #3.
    I’m not the popo. Regs are difficult around here. Good job for having some success.
    If you ever want to try Lochloosa wma, I can point you in the right direction for what you are trying to do.
    edited September 25 #20
    4WARD said:

See #3.
    I’m not the popo. Regs are difficult around here. Good job for having some success.
    If you ever want to try Lochloosa wma, I can point you in the right direction for what you are trying to do.
    Huh, that's odd. Do you know when stage one starts? I tried looking around myself for "dove season phase one florida" on Google, but all I found mentioning phases were 2 articles talking about dove hunting tips; one from 5 years ago and another 10 years. I couldn't find anything on the FWC's website at all. I even checked the wma brochure for lake George WMA and didn't see anything about phases. Huh, I'm kinda confused now lol.
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    1,2,3 as easy as A, B,C..

Dove (Mourning and white-winged)

Sept. 24 - Oct. 16
    Nov. 12 - Dec. 4
    Dec. 19 - Jan. 31

I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    @Stumpy @ANUMBER1 Yes guys, I'm aware of the season dates, the problem is I don't see anything on the website about "noon to sunset" shooting hours like 4WARD mentioned. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.
    That screen shot has it in black and white.. that is straight from the lake George brochure
  • H20dadH20dad Posts: 3,180 Captain
    4WARD said:
    That screen shot has it in black and white.. that is straight from the lake George brochure
    But he can only see in color, he is black and white blind!
    edited September 25 #26
    H20dad said:
    4WARD said:
    But he can only see in color, he is black and white blind!
    Oh my gosh how did I miss that! I didn't know that screenshot was taken from the brochure!
    I see it now that I used the find feature in my own pdf. My apologies for my confusion. I will have to VERY thorough when reading through regs next time...