Skip to main content
Home Boating

Looking For CC Advice

83mulligan83mulligan MichiganPosts: 1 Greenhorn
Hey all,

Looking to come down to florida this winter and buy a CC.  I fish the great lakes for salmon, walleye, smallmouth primarily.  Some inland lake fishing for largemouth.  I'm lookng for a CC that has a nice dry ride and runs well in 3 to 4 footers common on the great lakes.  Our waves are closer together than ocean waves and are more choppy on big lakes like lake st. clair and saginaw bay.  I currently have a 17 ft. aluminum super hawk by crestliner.  It handles the waves ok, but its aluminum and is a very wet riding boat.  Can I get some advice on a boat that runs well in the conditions I described, has livewells and is in the 19 to 23 ft range.  I can't go over 23 ft. for various reasons and would prefer 21 or 22 foot as a max.  Thanks!!!

Replies

• Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    I have a 23 Contender and it won't do it on the GOM and it sounds like your waters are a lot like the gulf.  You might consider a boat with a pilot house, center consoles are pretty wet boats for the most part.
  • CaptJCaptJ Posts: 1,717 Captain
    Look for something with wide gunnels or with spray rails and a semi deep v hull. A steep entry bow helps as well. I have an old (1986) Mako 20C that has a relatively flat bottom with a very steep entry bow and it handles big seas as well as shallows with ease. My 1981 Anacapri with it's wide gunnels is bone dry.
  • larrywittlarrywitt Posts: 2,901 Moderator
    Well  a 20 to 22 ft. CC deep V hull with  high free board 21 t0 23 inch . To feel secure when offshore , not a bay boat with low sides, if you are thinking long runs 20 to 30 plus miles offshore. 
     You can still fish inshore you just have to monitor your water depth  and the tides at all times
    Enjoy your search
    larrywitt. 
  • livebait1livebait1 west JaxPosts: 153 Deckhand
    Might want to stop in NC and look at Parker boats.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    Parkers are great fishing boats. Their 23ft pilot house would be a great choice to stay dry. I imagine that's pretty important when fishing in cold water or cold weather. May not be as sporty looking as a CC but staying dry is nice. This is coming from someone who owns a CC.