Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

November fishing

kslksl West Palm BeachPosts: 4 Greenhorn
Coming down from Toledo OH in November for vacation/scouting retirement locations.  Thinking of driving so I can tow my boat - 23 foot that I use in Lake Erie.  Wondering what wind and waves are like in West Palm beach in mid November.  3 footers are doable, 5 footers are a pain in the butt and I won't go out. More than that is just stupid in my boat.   If weather is likely to be windy/rainy in November I will just fly and look for a charter or two.  Also, should I be thinking bottom fishing this time of year or is the gulf stream  sport fishing good?

Replies

• 10kman10kman Posts: 931 Officer
      When I lived on the East Coast we normally could get out
    on Fri.or Sat. once every three weeks.That's two/three miles
    out.
  • kslksl West Palm BeachPosts: 4 Greenhorn
    Thanks for the reply 10Kman.  Fishing Lake Erie it seems during the week when I am working the lake is calm to 1-2 footers.  Come the weekend east winds at 20+mph and 3-5's so I definitely hear you!  Is the intercoastal worth fishing for snook/redfish/flounder etc?
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 931 Officer
    KSI,generally you need mangroves for reds but
    you do catch large snook in LW.Flounder 
    occasionally.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,741 Captain
    November is a great month down to the south at Flamingo (and it's always fish-able even when the wind is cranking...) -everything (snook, trout, redfish, tripletail and grouper, along with more sharks than anyone wants...) inshore or up inside... As for Palm Beach,  if the wind is a problem consider Jupiter at night (the Loxahatchee river inside of the Jupiter inlet).  The docklight fishing for snook at night is generally reliable and my anglers love being able to look at the fish they're casting to... Also a good bet if the wind is cranking, are all the canals in the south end of Palm Beach (and even better in all the canals to the south in Broward county - west of Ft. Lauderdale..).  Every day,  I can count on good numbers of peacock bass and other exotics for my anglers no matter what the wind is doing... 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
  • Gr8LakerGr8Laker Bev Hills / Pine RidgePosts: 78 Deckhand
    As a fellow veteran of Lake Erie I think we can agree that a more contrary body of water is not to be found. I've found the fishing in Florida to be consistent...consistently good or consistently bad. Sometimes easy pickin's, sometimes you work for your fish. I have a 20' center console bay boat that limits what I can do here in the Big Bend region (Crystal River). I was out in 2-4 footers today 20 miles out. Weatherman said NE wind 5-10, seas 1 foot or less. (Same weatherman as Lake Erie?)

My advice is to hire a guide in areas you're thinking about...but be sure to tell him that you're thinking of moving here with your own boat! You'll get a much more appropriate excursion without ruffling feathers.

Long story short...there's no perfect place here or anywhere for fishing, but at least down here you don't have to chop through 3' of ice to fish big water in the winter.
  • brianbbrianb Posts: 2,502 Captain
    It's an absolute crap shoot and you won't know how to fish the area. Recommend you fly down and book some charters. You'll prolly save a couple grand and catch fish and learn how to fish the area much better. 
    brianb said:
    It's an absolute crap shoot and you won't know how to fish the area. Recommend you fly down and book some charters. You'll prolly save a couple grand and catch fish and learn how to fish the area much better. 
    So I will be down Nov 20th for a week.  Plan on going with my wife, adult son and daughter where I am the only experienced fisherman.  Thinking of a drift fishing charter - so there are the party boats ($60 to $100 per person) and the true charter boats with more personalised attention (my leaning). Since we are drifting - does it matter as much for captains skill with the small charter?  We want to catch fish which I know is a big surprise.  When it is all said and done, if I spend an extra $200 on vacation - big deal but if I can expect the same results on a party boat no sense throwing it away.  What say all yall? 
  • Gr8LakerGr8Laker Bev Hills / Pine RidgePosts: 78 Deckhand
    Party boat means small grunts, mangos, pogies.  Charter means you tell the captain what you want and he'll do what he can to see that you catch 'em.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    Pretty sure it's going to cost more than an extra 200 bucks for an offshore charter.
    Crkr23 said:
    Pretty sure it's going to cost more than an extra 200 bucks for an offshore charter.
    If it was just me, yes.  But If I am taking the whole family no.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 476 Deckhand
    The last sportfish charter I went on 5 yrs ago was north of 2 grand plus tips.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,741 Captain
    Your best bet for a great day on the water will be with a skiff guide (one with a big enough boat to be able to fish four anglers.  Yes, it will cost you some money (but usually much less than a big sportfisher would charge..).. Most us only fish two or maybe three anglers but there are a few, working out of bay boats that are pretty reasonably priced.  Good luck and post up a fishing report if you go...

ps... check out my Instagram site (Capt Bob LeMay) for info on what I'm doing - but I'm a ways south of where you'll be...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666