Skip to main content
Home Off Topic

Do you have a Roomba?

ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 22,665 Moderator
AFTER DECADES OF creating war machines and home cleaning appliances, iRobot agreed to be acquired by Amazon for $1.7 billion, according to a joint statement by the two companies. If the deal goes through, it would give Amazon access to yet another wellspring of personal data: interior maps of Roomba owners’ homes.

"In 2020, Amazon introduced a home security drone, and last month Ring, a company that’s forged partnerships with thousands of police and fire departments, admitted to sharing home video footage with law enforcement without a warrant. Should law enforcement or governments demand access, so much data about people in the hands of a single company poses the threat of being a single point of failure for democracy and human rights, Greer says."

"Even without bringing iRobot into the fold, there are few aspects of people’s lives that Amazon does not have access to. It already tracks intimate details like what people eat, buy, watch, read, and the prescription drugs they consume. Soon, it may also know every inch of their homes."

https://www.wired.com/story/amazon-irobot-roomba-acquisition-data-privacy/

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Replies

• dragon baitdragon bait Posts: 10,935 AG
    edited August 10 #2
    Neither of my Roombas are on the Internet, so unless they figure out the network password I’m good
  • ferris1248ferris1248 Posts: 22,665 Moderator
    You have house wide wifi ?  

"That which is hateful to you, do not do to your fellow. That is the whole of the law. The rest is commentary."

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• Mister-JrMister-Jr Posts: 29,365 AG
    No Roomba, but I'm fairly certain I'm trackable anywhere I go.
    Vote for the other candidate
    If you mean can I access the Wi-Fi network from anywhere in the house, yes doesn’t everyone 

• GotEmOnGotEmOn Crystal RiverPosts: 464 Deckhand
    I don't own the device but I do own their stock.

I want to buy a Roomba because I have two dogs that shed everywhere and I am really tired of vacumming twice a week.

DB, what are pros/cons of the Roomba?
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,280 AG
    Got a Yedi that the kids gave us

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
    GotEmOn said:

I want to buy a Roomba because I have two dogs that shed everywhere and I am really tired of vacumming twice a week.

The pros are you don’t have to drag a vac around the cons are it can get stuck under low furniture 
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,372 Captain
    GotEmOn said:

Be careful! Hehe
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation-now/2016/08/15/pooptastrophe-man-details-night-his-roomba-ran-over-dog-poop/88667704/

God sleeps in the minerals, awakens in plants, walks in animals, and thinks in man.

Arthur Young

• 1outlaw1outlaw Naples FLPosts: 1,820 Captain
    I have roomba's, alexa, rings and a cell phone. It is what it is!
    Jason :USA
  • cadmancadman Home of the Gators Posts: 41,578 AG
    Had one, didn't like it. 

Former Mini Mart Magnate

I am just here for my amusement. 

If you mean can I access the Wi-Fi network from anywhere in the house, yes doesn’t everyone 

I'd bet you're already being tracked. All those Roomba chips are made in China who are famous for backdooring. 

And no, everyone doesn't have WIFI.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

• GardawgGardawg IslamoradaPosts: 15,655 AG
    My uncle told my aunt to add a quart of oil to the engine if she wanted to use the car.

So she did.   She said it sure took a long time to pour it in. 

Seems she poured a quart of oil into the engine through the dipstick tube. 

Hey it worked !
    "Forgiveness is a strange thing. It can be sometimes easier to forgive our enemies than our friends. It can be hardest of all to forgive people we love." Fred Rogers  
  • madm002madm002 Posts: 120 Deckhand
    I own one.  You need to keep your eyes open on this.  Amazon owns Ring as well, and Amazon wants you to share data with your neighbor.  The neighborhood Karens have found a way to share data with their Ring doorbell cams.  So the Ring will talk to Alexa who also talks to Roomba....
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 6,458 Admiral
    The US is leaps and bounds behind Europe, and a good chunk of the rest of the world in regards to data privacy.
  • YnotjaxYnotjax Posts: 762 Officer
    edited August 10 #20
    I used to love big boobs till I got them myself.
    Oh how true growing old you get ugly hair grows in places you never had like ears man b oobs nose 👃 hair gets worse. 
  • LobsterLegsLobsterLegs Posts: 283 Deckhand
    We have knockoff. Wife loves it.
  • LobsterLegsLobsterLegs Posts: 283 Deckhand
    zimmy4209 said:
    Wife got a roomba couple years ago. Worked great for a while she comes from a family that doesn't believe in or just flat out doesn't know how to do any kind of preventative maintenance on anything. About a month after buying it shes like this thing is broken it doesn't work right anymore. 

After a quick look I said no you just have to empty the bin where everything vacuumed goes into. She gives me this blank stare like she thought it emptied itself🤔🤫.

But hey I did mention she got a boob job last October right?   Winning!!
    If you have the right one it will

Quality that lasts Intelligence that grows
  • Mango ManMango Man Posts: 13,572 AG
    I thought of getting one because of the two dogs. I'm not sure that it could handle the 1st floor with all the different rooms.

And we have Alexa and the other one. I'm sure they have enough of our info already.

I think as the older generations die off it will become irrelevant as it seems the younger generations are "ok" with it. 

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
  • SaltwaterdawgSaltwaterdawg Too far from the gulfPosts: 4,840 Captain
    I had one of the first versions. It worked flawlessly 2 or 3 times. Ended up giving it to my DIL
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,025 AG
    Always wanted a house with a Floor drain in the rooms and waterproof drywall on the walls. Patio furniture thru out.....winning
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • Bimini_TwistedBimini_Twisted TampaPosts: 6,458 Admiral
    Always wanted a house with a Floor drain in the rooms and waterproof drywall on the walls. Patio furniture thru out.....winning
    Dexter's man cave.
  • Billy No MatesBilly No Mates Posts: 3,524 Captain
    No. Waste of money.
    Mango Man said:
    I thought of getting one because of the two dogs. I'm not sure that it could handle the 1st floor with all the different rooms.

And we have Alexa and the other one. I'm sure they have enough of our info already.

I think as the older generations die off it will become irrelevant as it seems the younger generations are "ok" with it. 
    I think you're right. Most boomers grew with an expectation of privacy but the WWW, social media and 9/11 took away most of it. 

The incredible advances in IT made it easy also. Heck, remember when we thought the transistor was an incredible thing?

These generations have grown up with diminished privacy, therefore don't miss it. 

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Yup, my GF is crazy about keeping EVERYTHING private.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln
    That's almost impossible nowadays.

Rabbi Hillel (c20 BCE)

Tell her that...

Abraham Lincoln