Skip to main content
Home Northeast (3 Forums) Northeast Fishing Reports

St Johns Tarpon caught, artificial lure, video

BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 375 Deckhand
Caught one today. H2O Croaker swim bait. Nice jumps on calm cloudy morning, My partner was using shrimp and catching hardhead catfish. Put the catfish tail out and dragged that around for a while but no interest. We used catfish tails down in Ft Myers for tarpon. Got caught in a severe thunderstorm, Thanks to an abandoned boat house we road it out. Lightning was too close for comfort though. 

Daiwa BG3000 reel, Tsunami 7'2" rod from Walmart $29, 20lb Berkley braid and 50lb mono leader. 

Fishing YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKdiam7vzvGthpaR1Anrdw 

BattleFish

Replies

• creekgeekcreekgeek Posts: 1,183 Officer
    Awesome video. Nice fish.
  • carolinablue2carolinablue2 Jax BeachPosts: 93 Deckhand
    Great video, beautiful fish!
  • BattlefishBattlefish Jacksonville, FLPosts: 375 Deckhand
    Thanks, the marks on the fish were scales pulled off by the line/leader. Tarpon were there Tuesday and 
    Wednesday but no bites. Ladyfish were there and when ladyfish are present the tarpon are there too. 
    Fishing YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyKdiam7vzvGthpaR1Anrdw 

BattleFish
  • bswivbswiv Posts: 8,402 Admiral
    Thanks, the marks on the fish were scales pulled off by the line/leader. Tarpon were there Tuesday and 
    Wednesday but no bites. Ladyfish were there and when ladyfish are present the tarpon are there too. 
    We fished just a little Wednesday. Actually went with intentions of catching shrimp, my friend having a wife who likes small shrimp for shrimp and rice and a bunch of other things. 

Of course, as I am sure you noticed, the wind had a bit too much SOUTH component to it and therefor funneled up the river making most of the good shrimp spots sort of a pain. When I was younger hurling the new from a rolling boat was tolerable.......now......I'll do it for bait......but after that not so much.

Anyway.......we got on the north side of Mandarin Point, one of the few places where it was not rolling and tried a couple of docks for about a hour. While on one we watched as twice tarpon trashed something between the docks. Not big fish.......20-50#.....but they were there.

Hate to admit this though, I personally just don't get the tarpon thing. Beautiful when they jump......but after that......but then I'm old and like to eat fish :/ 
    bswiv said:
    We fished just a little Wednesday. Actually went with intentions of catching shrimp, my friend having a wife who likes small shrimp for shrimp and rice and a bunch of other things. 

Of course, as I am sure you noticed, the wind had a bit too much SOUTH component to it and therefor funneled up the river making most of the good shrimp spots sort of a pain. When I was younger hurling the new from a rolling boat was tolerable.......now......I'll do it for bait......but after that not so much.

Anyway.......we got on the north side of Mandarin Point, one of the few places where it was not rolling and tried a couple of docks for about a hour. While on one we watched as twice tarpon trashed something between the docks. Not big fish.......20-50#.....but they were there.

Hate to admit this though, I personally just don't get the tarpon thing. Beautiful when they jump......but after that......but then I'm old and like to eat fish :/ 
    Thanks for the heads up. Tarpon fever is a sickness. only cure is MORE TARPON. 

BattleFish
    I did fish the docks just south of the Buckman on Mandarin side too Wednesday, didn't see anything but gar. 

BattleFish
  • Kayak 4 the winKayak 4 the win Posts: 80 Deckhand
    what is the biggest tarpon you have caught?

edited August 12 #9
    125 in the keys. The one I fought here a few weeks ago was bigger, did not get it boat side though. catch to jumped ratio is 7 to 2 right now here in Jax.  I'd rather play with the smaller ones they jump more, and less wear and tear on my body too. 

BattleFish
  • LakotaRainLakotaRain JaxPosts: 85 Deckhand
    Went out yesterday evening on the advice of a friend who lives on the BIG River side of Ortega....  There is a shoal with a nice ledge that consistently produces ...  Saw some giant Tarpon rolling but none were feeding (at least on the surface)...  But some Big Reds were there..  So much fun in shallow water on trout gear..  
    Skeeter ZX22V -  Yamaha F250

• LambboLambbo Posts: 7 Deckhand
    Nice catch!  Looks like I need to fish the river more often.  Would be shorter drive too.  Do you fish Goodby's area much?  I've had some luck with flounder around those docks and occasional mangroves too.  
    Lambbo said:
    Nice catch!  Looks like I need to fish the river more often.  Would be shorter drive too.  Do you fish Goodby's area much?  I've had some luck with flounder around those docks and occasional mangroves too.  
    Have had a little success on small reds on the docks in that area but nothing like I have found closer to the Ortega..  I guess I have not figured it out yet..  But..  I will say I am a relative novice on the river as I downsized my boat to fish inshore less than a year ago...  Battlefish crushes that area though...  

Lambbo said:
    Have had a little success on small reds on the docks in that area but nothing like I have found closer to the Ortega..  I guess I have not figured it out yet..  But..  I will say I am a relative novice on the river as I downsized my boat to fish inshore less than a year ago...  Battlefish crushes that area though...  
    3.5" Vudu Mullet Swimbait was the way to go.  Straight retrieve..  Reds would not hit anything else...  Ladyfish were all over LiveTarget Shad Swimbaits.

So that's where the reds are, Nice catches, I put in at Fishing Creek then go to the river from there. Catch some mullet in the creek. I just jumped a giant one today on a 10" mullet. 

BattleFish
    So that's where the reds are, Nice catches, I put in at Fishing Creek then go to the river from there. Catch some mullet in the creek. I just jumped a giant one today on a 10" mullet. 
    Are you seeing the mullet schooling up?  I have only seen free jumpers.  Was trying to get a small ladyfish out for bait but they were all 20"+...

Are you seeing the mullet schooling up?  I have only seen free jumpers.  Was trying to get a small ladyfish out for bait but they were all 20"+...
    I put in at Lakeshore Drs Lake, and got several 8-10" mullet in a large school right in front of the pier there. 

BattleFish