Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

Wanted - Shimano Stradic 4000 FI - handle

krashkrash Posts: 879 Officer
Broke the reel handle, travelling, last week on a Shimano Stradic 4000 FI.
Can;t find, new, per Shimano & eReplacement site's its discontinued. discontinued >

Hoping someone has a retired, frozen, parts only, or well used Stradic 4000 FI in the corner that I could talk you out of the Handle...  not the rubbery gooy knob but the metal assembly itself.

Old Fugger who just likes to fish

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,217 Captain
    Sorry to hear it's a discontinued model.  I own 99percent conventional reels, so sorry no spare parts in that area.  I own 7 discontinued Diawa Saltist reels that I have serviced every year or two without issue.  Now you have me concerned about that.  Sometimes a newer model will carry a similar piece that can be swapped out.  Good luck finding a replacement.
  • krashkrash Posts: 879 Officer
    edited August 2022 #3
    Yes it kind sux, it's a great reel's, I had 4 gave 2 to my son when he got his Pathfinder,  for me and I'm pretty meticuouls about cleaning, maintenance, and just general handling of my fishing tackle.

I can see on a 20 or 30 year old reel discontinuing a full line of parts. But the FI models were released in 2015.. 

I've got 2  Stradoc FG's 2000/4000, plus gave my son a couple of those too, hanging arpund, the ones with the Wood handle that work just fin and they must be 20 years old.

I've got old **** Senators that must me 50 years old, and a couple **** Spinfisher 500/750 reels 30+ years old, still work great, even though they don;t have modern features of newer reels. A couple of those **** 4/0 senators are mow in my sons collection as grouper reels for his offshore adventures in Tampa.

Hell I still have the first spinning reel I ever owned, an Orvis 100.
    Just recently i thinned down the stock pild and gave away a bunch of baitcasters and spinning stuff to some neighborhood kids, and threw out a dozen or so old large spinning and convenional tackle in bulk trash.

krash said:

Hell I still have the first spinning reel I ever owned, an Orvis 100.
    Just recently i thinned down the stock pild and gave away a bunch of baitcasters and spinning stuff to some neighborhood kids, and threw out a dozen or so old large spinning and convenional tackle in bulk trash.

My first spinner belonged to my dad, it's long gone, but the first Conventional reel I owned was with my own money -- A Penn Squidder 140.  I still have it, bought it in 1974.  I don't use it anymore, but once in a while, I will pull it out to bring back some fond memories.

• quatinquatin Posts: 600 Officer
    Welcome to the club. I've cracked the rotor on my Stradic 8000 FJ twice now. Most recently, it's gone obsolete and is now a paper weight. Shimano makes some real trash these days. Ripped out several guides on their Trevala jigging rods.
    I still have faith in Shimano products, and have several around some pretty old that still work well. It;s just sad they discontinue parts as quickly as they do.  This reel will end up on the shelf and someday I'll come across the handle somewhere, or find someone selling an old used up one with a good shaft.
    I think about the only other reel with the same, fit wise, is teh Saros 4000FA.. also a discontinued, replaced by another similar model.
    If funds were not an issue I'd go right now and buy a new Shimano Vanford.
    Back in the '70s when I first started fishing, Penn was the best for conventional reels, Diawa was the first to market spinning reels with an extended spool to prevent the line from getting tangled on the shaft.  Shimano claims to have started in the '70s but did not see much of them until the '80s.  Shimano makes great reels and is a leader in innovation, that's what keeps them on top.  With all the innovation, It would be a tough task to keep an inventory of all of their past products.  
    edited August 2022 #8
    When I started fishing in the '50's as a kid in S. Miami living on a canal. spinning reels were in their infacy, it was all bait casters with dacron line similar to braid, but thicker.. then along can mainstream spinning reels and the advent of mono.. Orivs was in the game but Mitchell gained market share.. Then Penn got in the game along with a lot of others. I still have a couple 60 or 70's Penn spinners on the shelf, and also for the boat rods, ocean side, I have newer Penn 450 & 550 Spinnfisher V's.. just bulk trased a pair of 550 & 750 Penn SSG Black/Gold predeseccor to the Spinfishers along with a few conventional **** Seantors & Shimano TLD Lever and Start drag reels.
    My son took all the Penn 4/0 Senators, they are popular grouper reels in the Tampa area.
    Back in the 70's the Black senator 6/0 was the most popular reel for deep water rockcodding in SoCal with 80lb dacron line.  The red (higher speed) 4/0 Senator was popular for Long Range Fishing Baja from San Diego -- cool that they are still in use today.

A good, inexpensive, bottom setup is the old Penn Senator 4/0, on a Ugly Stick Tiger Lite (or Elite) rod, with heavy braid...  
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,909 Captain
    edited August 2022 #11
    Shimano is bringing out "new models" every year - and from that day - they import parts for seven years only... After that you're at the mercy of their distribution centers, maybe they have the part you need - maybe not.  Handles and other high wear parts are the first the run out of... surprise, surprise.... For sure every reel ever made has one or two parts that break or wear out a lot quicker than the rest of the reel...  If you can't find that part you're done... unless...

Here's how I roll with older reels (and I actually have one or two reels still in service that are more than 30 years old now).  When parts can't be found I'm heading for E-Bay or other sources - and I'm looking for a "parts reel" that I can scavenge the part(s) I need to keep an older reel running... If that parts reel is in better shape than the one I'm trying to fix - it becomes the user reel - and the other one becomes the parts reel... My first step is E-Bay and I enter the exact make and model I'm looking for.  Usually they'll have everything from new unused (alledgedly) all the way down to individual parts listed.   There are actually shops that buy old reels then break them down into parts and sell them for a good profit... maybe you'll get lucky there... 

As far as Shimano goes... I'm done with them - even though they make good reels.  Their parts policy was a deliberate short changing of their own customers - for the bottom line... 

Hope this helps.

Note, lots of turnover on E-Bay... only one 4000 there now - I'd check back weekly and you might find exactly what you need.. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    edited September 2022 #12
    Yep. I'm with you except the part of being done.. 
    FleaBay was, and always is, my first stop for stuff, been looking with no luck.. After that its craigs list and even FB market place and the few forums left kicking that I visit.

The reel will be, is, sealed away clened & lubed on the shlef awaiting for a find of a handle or parts reel. 
    I orderd the new Vanford as a replacement.