Skip to main content
Home Boating

Silver King year model questions

Vipeout2008Vipeout2008 TallahasseePosts: 2 Greenhorn
Hey everyone, hoping to get some reliable information on a 1996 Silver King Flash 16 flats boat.  There is one for sale near me.  It looks to be in very good condition.  Garage kept, etc. I have done quite a bit of online research and the forums are fraught with conflicting reports about the brand.  The issue is, the brand was sold to Bass Pro anywhere from 1994-1998 depending on who you ask, and the original maker "stayed with the company for a year or two after the sale," (possibly, but who knows).  The "pre Bass Pro" models are apparently very desirable / holy grail boats, and the models after Bass Pro are dumpster fires if opinions are to be believed.  I am familliar with Bass Pro's treatment of Mako and Seacraft.

I have seen older ads on The Hull Truth claiming that their 1997 boat is "pre Bass Pro."  However, according to NADA the Silver King brand was sold in 1994 (unsure to whom).  I also found an article from March 17, 1996 and will include the link here. It appears that Bass Pro actually acquired the brand in August of 1995 according to the article. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/fl-xpm-1996-03-17-9603160259-story.html

It appears that the Silver King boats were originally built in St. Pete and Mark Scott was the man that was responsible for the well-made boats.  There are reports that he stayed with the company after selling it to Dave Stanky (?) in Clearwater and boats built through 1996 are the ones to get?  However according to the article above, Bass Pro moved the factory to Punta Gorda after purchase in 1995 or 1996.  There is no mention of Clearwater.  The boat I am interested in has a inspection sticker stating it was built in Punta Gorda, BUT it is a 1996 boat, which some people seem to think is fine.  (Sorry for the convoluted explanation, but this is as succinctly as I can distill around a day of research.)

In summary, should I walk away from this boat?  It's too bad there isn't more reliable information available.  Seems to be a beautiful boat in good condition.  Hoping someone on here has some personal experience with the brand and can shed some light.  Don't want to drop a bunch of cash on a lemon.

I have included screenshots of the boat as well as some of the comments on some other forums about them.  Hopefully someone out there can help me out with this.

Thanks,

Murray

Replies