Home Panhandle General Fishing & The Outdoors

A Little Pier help needed

My son just got his transfer to Hurlburt, he is actually driving that way as I type this. I am planning on being there the 14th and 15th. Would like to go out to a pier, me him and my wife. What is a close pier to there? And what should we be targeting this time of year. Thanks for any suggestions.:thumbsup

Replies

• boanroboanro Posts: 201 Officer
    90 views, 4 replies for a thread titled Hey. 18 views and 0 replies for a thread asking for pier help. :huh
  • senmecsenmec Posts: 36 Deckhand
    LOL I read it but have no idea where Hurlburt is, what piers might be close to it, or what to target. Therefore I didn't reply.
  • donald811donald811 Posts: 479 Deckhand
    boanro wrote: »
    90 views, 4 replies for a thread titled Hey. 18 views and 0 replies for a thread asking for pier help. :huh
    Try Pensacola fishin forum.:smoking
    Life is a lot simpler when you plow around the stump.
    Hurlburt, being around Destin and Ft Walton Beach, thought people here might be familiar with it.
  • JoeFishJoeFish Posts: 67 Deckhand
    Taken from half hitch's site....

Report 12/8/2011 for
    NAVARRE PIER

King Mackerel- I have not heard of any Kings being caught this week. Most of the King Mackerel have started their migration to the south. With the water being this cold now it is highly unlikely any Kings will be caught until spring.

Spanish Mackerel- I have had no reports of these fish being caught this week. Most of the Spanish have started their migration to the south. With the water being this cold it is highly unlikely any Spanish will be caught until spring.

Whiting- The Whiting bite has remained steady over the last week. Fresh peeled shrimp fished on the bottom will produce fish. A standard two hook bottom rig will produce fish. A better rig is a fish finder rig with a fluorocarbon leader and a #6 hook. Pompano- There has been a few fish caught this week. The cooler weather has helped turn these fish on. Live sand fleas and fresh dead shrimp fished on the bottom will produce. Pompano jigs will also take them.

Bonito- The fishing has improved this week with some nice fish caught. It should improve as the water begins to cool. Jigfish jigs, Diamond jigs, Buck tailed jigs and silver spoons will take these fish.

Redfish- A few Reds have been caught this week and they have all been oversized. Anglers are using live shrimp, live finger mullet or any cut bait. You can catch them with a fish finder rig and a circle hook. Good artificial include a ¾ oz Johnson gold spoon and a 1oz jig with a 4” Berkeley Gulp shrimp.

Flounder- They have showed up this last week around the pier pilings, some fish have been up to 20”. Best baits are live bull and tiger minnows. Live finger mullet will work too. Fish on the bottom with a fish finder or Carolina rig using as light as weight as possible.

Sheepshead- There have been some fish sighted on the pier pilings. As the water continues to cool down more sheepshead will show up along them. Good baits to use are fiddler crabs, small live shrimp and crab knuckles.

Black snapper/Grey Snapper- I have not had any reports of these being caught this week. The water has turned cold and it is highly unlikely any will be caught until spring. SURF

Pompano- There has been some fish caught this week. Best baits are live shrimp and sand fleas. Although fresh dead shrimp will work well. Most anglers are using a two hook bottom rig fished in a cut in the sand bars or just over the sand bar.

Redfish- Anglers are catching some big bull reds while fishing for Pompano. The will hit the same baits, but don’t be afraid to try some cut mullet or LY’s.

Sharks- There are several species to catch and area anglers have been catching Black Tip, Spinners and Bull sharks. Most shark fisherman are fishing high capacity reels with 80# test line on a 50# to 100# rod. They are using fresh Bonito or Skipjack for bait and using a 6’ leader of at least 400# test with large circle hooks and J hooks. They are placing the bait usually behind the first sand bar. There are smaller sharks available in the trough right off the beach.

Skipjack (Ladyfish) Whiting- The Whiting bite remains steady. These are being caught using a two hook bottom rig with live shrimp or peeled fresh dead shrimp. The cooler the water gets this fall the more bull whiting you will catch.
    ‘The secret of success is making your vocation your vacation.’ Mark Twain
    Having never been there, I will have to locate Navarre Pier. I don't mind catching some whiting if that's all that bites. Thanks for the info. Leaving Tampa early in the AM
  • FshAddictFshAddict Posts: 36 Deckhand
    Okaloosa Island is close as well as Navarre.
    http://www.okaloosaislandpier.com/
  • tk's joytk's joy Posts: 2,490 Officer
    Boanro,

This forum is a shadow of what it once was, hence the replys, or lack of them, which is a shame. Reasons, too many. However, the info given is good info. Also, stop by Half Hitch in Destin. The guys in there should have good information on what's going on. Haven't been to Destin in a few years cause it ain't what it once was either. They took a beautiful seaside town and destroyed it. I'll leave it at that.

tk
    Well, just wanted to let those that replied know what happened. Did'nt have a whole lot of time. But did get out on Navarre pier for a couple of hours. Did'nt get a bite and from what I saw, neither did anyone else. Oh, except the one guy that snagged a passing ray. Then I tried one night on this small pier at the marina on the base. There was a light in the water so I thought it could be good. Saw plenty of mullet passing by, but again, no bites. A few other guys showed up and they did'nt fair so well either. Anyway. I liked the area, got to see my son, new DIL and first grandson! So, no fish, but plenty of great memories.
  • wheelerwheelerwheelerwheeler Posts: 7 Greenhorn
    Bonaro, if you can make a return trip in the spring you can do very well.I have fished the Panhandle Gulf piers for 25+ years. If you can make it in late March or April and beyond, the action can be red hot for a number of species. King mackerel,spanish mackerel,pompano,cobia.......etc. Good Luck!
    Thanks Wheeler. Since my son just got orders and will be there for 3 years, I am sure more trips will be made. Guess I will watch for reports in the spring and plan my trip accordingly.
  • johnDjohnD WC FLPosts: 6,419 Admiral
    half hitch tackle has the gear, multiple locations , the one in panama city is my favorite.
    http://www.halfhitch.com/

there is the pensacola fishing forum like mentioned above.
    the panhandle pier fishing forum is the old emerald coast fishing forum , it went belly up over the summer and there slowly but surely getting there members back.
    fish the beaches/bridges and bays also.
    cobia , pompano , kings , all have there seasons in the panhandle.trout and reds are a good bet on the flats.
  • FshAddictFshAddict Posts: 36 Deckhand
    It really slows in the surf until around March depending on temps. It is a really nice area, some of the best beaches and fishing around.
  • fisheadgibfisheadgib Posts: 35 Greenhorn
    It seems that lots of people are getting disappointed or even upset about the lack of activity on the panhandle forums. It used to be better before the crash last year. I can't remember the last time I was here and I just ducked in out of curiousity. I live down the road from Hurlburt in Fort Walton Beach and as someone else mentioned, Half Hitch Tackle has has a website and up to date info about most of the fishing around here. The Okaloosa county pier is closer to Hurlburt but the Navarre pier usually has better fishing. The Okaloosa pier also used to have a website but I don't know if they still do. Ironically, the Pensacola forum does seem to have more activity and info about the fishing around here than any other forums.