Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Quick SM report - Revenge of the Solunar Tables

ivnivn gvillePosts: 206 Deckhand
3 fish high activity day... yeah right.

Caught 4 good sized cat fish, as did another couple of folk.  Loads of bait in the area both mud minnows (some of 'em are spawning, one big fattie I cut up had roe in it) and finger mullet.  Water temps are still hot of course.  Lots of fiddlers around the boat ramp.

Did get to see a roseated spoonbill, a few ospreys and a couple of bald eagles across the water, they were in the trees on Hog Island and hitting the shell bars just as the tide was covering them.  Saw a large shark (unknown type) go nuts on a school of bait fish.

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    Cat fish pull pretty good. Observing wildlife can be very entertaining and spoonbils are beautiful. 👍
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,815 Moderator
    You were there. That's what counts
    "You'll get your weather"
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 138 Deckhand
    i've always looked at solunar tables as just one more little piece of the puzzle. tide, wind and weather, bait and so many other factors can make it pretty insignificant.
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 206 Deckhand
    Cat fish pull pretty good. Observing wildlife can be very entertaining and spoonbils are beautiful. 👍

Yup, great excuse to be out in the beauty of our planet.. and since I don't eat fish, as long as the rod gets bent I'm not too particular about what is bending it...
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,892 AG
    cows, need to look to the cows
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,771 Captain
    edited August 3 #7
    ANUMBER1 said:
    You are silly, what are the cows, I'm just asking.

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • tom waxelbaumtom waxelbaum Posts: 841 Officer
    The cow thing sure holds true for deer hunting.
  • Crkr23Crkr23 MelrosePosts: 470 Deckhand
    Don't know about the cow thing, when I was coming up all our cows were so poor they had to eat all the time.
  • SlackerSlacker Posts: 1,804 Captain
    its not just the cows, animals and fish do react to the tables

in salt water, the tides(in my opinion) have a larger influence

they are related though since it is a relationship with the moon and it affects both

pay attention to A-1s comments, he has a lot of experience
  • ivnivn gvillePosts: 206 Deckhand
    Slacker said:
    its not just the cows, animals and fish do react to the tables

in salt water, the tides(in my opinion) have a larger influence

they are related though since it is a relationship with the moon and it affects both

pay attention to A-1s comments, he has a lot of experience

Tides depend on where you are - Cedar Key side, incoming tide is always best.  When I was over at Matanzas inlet last year for a few days, the locals all said the outgoing tide was best for fishing.

I time my SM trips based on tide times - I look at the solunar tables out of curiosity, and if it is a 3 fish day but I'm feeling off or the weather is chancy I'll buckle up and do it, whereas same condition on a 0 or 1 fish day and I'm likely to stay home or go shooting or head to the local river instead.
  • xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    If the cows are on their feet and active, fish and game most likely are too. Tides are probably the most important factor. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,780 Captain
    The thing to consider about solunar tables is that they are just one of many factors that influence fish activity.  The tables themselves are pretty easy to understand.  Solunar peaks occur when the sun or moon is either directly overhead (solunar major) or directly beneath the earth (solunar minor).  The effect is the greatest when a major or minor takes place close to dawn or dusk.  This is because that is when feeding activity is normally highest.  Fish feed when the sun angle is low because they can see polarized light.  Light becomes polarized as it passes around the edges of objects.  So they can more easily see prey that might be transparent or that have colors that blend into the bottom or sea surface.  This sets up an internal rhythm that triggers another feeding period about 6 hr later. 

Since the position of the sun and moon influence tides, there is a relationship between solunars and tidal flow.  But because the coastline is irregular, there is no simple correlation between tide stages and solunars.  But if a particular feeding trigger like the end of a flood tide corresponds with a solunar major or minor, that should be a particularly good fishing day. Of course, this depends on the species you are after.  Snook and trout often prefer to feed on an ebbing tide.  So what might be a good solunar for redfish might be less than ideal for snook and trout and vice versa.  And of course, most predatory fish feed most actively during periods of strong tidal flow such as before the new and full moon.  It is during those times when the solunar ratings are highest. 

Then you have to factor in weather conditions that affect prey activity such as rising or falling air pressure and changes in cloud cover that affect the ability of predatory fish to see their prey.  When you throw in spawning activity, water temperature, and prey availability, it's pretty easy to understand why solunar tables do always seem to be right. 
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Solunar Table- I live on a small lake, maybe 10 to 12 acres. Fish bite is always good around new and full moon. My experience on full moon has been totally negative at Crystal River. I monitor winds and tides for most trips, but refuse to fish around the full moon. Someone please give a different take on full moon experience .
  • Doc StressorDoc Stressor Homosassa, FLPosts: 2,780 Captain
    What I have observed over the years is that fishing is usually very good the week before the full moon.  Usually right up to the night of the full moon itself.  Then it falls off drastically as if a switch was flipped.  My theory is that it has to do with when the moon rises relative to sunset.  The moon is already up when it starts to get dark during the week before the full moon.  But depending on the time of year the actual full moon rises just after the sun sets and rises about an hour later each following day.  So during the week after the full moon, a bright moon rises after it gets dark.  This sudden change in light level is detected by most organisms and sets an internal clock that animals use to determine the time for feeding, migration, and spawning activity. We are beginning to understand how these clocks actually work at the molecular level to establish lunar and daily rhythm cycles. 

I don't understand the effect of the new moon other than the fact that major tides tend to occur during the day.  Bottom fish tend to hold close to structure when the current is strong and feed during short periods when the tide is turning.  This makes for a tougher bite.  I've seen less of an effect of the new moon on inshore fish.  In general, there are far more variables besides the moon phase that affects inshore fishing versus offshore fishing. 

I have seen less of an effect of the full moon on freshwater fishing but it does seem to be best around the new and full moon.  I don't have enough experience to say whether the just before versus just after the day of the full moon theory holds in freshwater. 
    Billy said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

Billy
    cow are eating, fish are feeding
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    owls are hooting, deer are walking
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,771 Captain
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Billy said:
    ANUMBER1 said:

Billy
    cow are eating, fish are feeding
    Ah...I get it. I knew when cows all huddled up it meant they were preparing for maybe bad weather? Guess it makes sense if they are active (eating) then so are the fish.

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Years ago I fished the St John river south of Hwy 50. There were Brahmas all over the pastures along the river. It was like clock work, EXTREMELY accurate.. Brahmas up and eating so are the fish. And the opposite when they lay down.
  • ocalaocala Posts: 236 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    When I lived in south Florida heading up to Okeechobee to fish I always noticed the cows. Didn't make a darn bit of difference whether they were eatin or chillin when it came to catching. 
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,815 Moderator
    When the sun gets low I get thirsty

"You'll get your weather"