Skip to main content
Home West Central General Fishing & The Outdoors

Honeymoon Island Fishing - Seeking Tips / Locations

Looking for spots/tips to try on Honeymoon Island.  From Shore, bait or lures.  New to Florida and to salt water fishing.  There are a few Honeymoon Island threads on the site, but nearly all of them are many years old.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Replies

• harbisonharbison Posts: 5,572 Admiral
    Suggest trying the flats immediately before going onto Honeymoon. 
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,771 Captain
    I've seen people fish from shore at the north beach (my wife and I go there to relax and collect some shells) and they wade out a bit. It is rocky so it isn't all that easy to wade. They normally catch trout.

The suggestion from harbison is a better solution though.

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
  • fmoefmoe tampa bayPosts: 20 Deckhand
    Stop in at the bait shop on the way out there.
  • FastEddyFastEddy Posts: 103 Deckhand
    Off the beach... Just walk along and cover water with a small 1/4thoz  jighead with a white paddletail  or a 1/4thoz white bucktail jig.  First thing in the morning is always best when the tides line up. 
    If you go wading and walk through tall grass be aware of your surroundings.  There is a healthy rattlesnake population on that island and also Caladesi.  There's been a few vids tourists have put up over the years on youtube and facebook.  https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Honeymoon+island+rattle+snake
  • harbisonharbison Posts: 5,572 Admiral
    edited July 31 #6
    "The suggestion from harbison is a better solution though."
    Have not actually fished there in numerous years. In the past I have caught many nice trout and a few snook there. As you approach Honeymoon I fished on the left hand side. With a cast net white bait was easy to catch. There was a very nice bait house a couple of miles  before you get to the flats.
     Be careful of the sand; if you do not have 4X drive it's easy to get stuck.  Best time was just after sun-up. 
    Fished there many times with the man himself, Captain Mel Berman. 

"The Captain Mel Berman Show" is the most popular radio fishing talk show in all of Florida. Heard on 970-WFLA Radio, Tampa Bay -- WSPB 1450 AM in Sarasota -- and on The Internet, this unique 6 to 9 am Saturday" 

The Captain used only artificials. He did well!
    What an honor calling this man among men... Friend!
    Anyone remember Captain Mel?
    TIPS:
    Be sure to keep your bait bucket closed; the birds will steal your bait. 
    Wade out in a little over waste deep water. Be ready for the pinfish to nip you on your legs. It does not hurt and is actually kinda fun.
    Like to fight sharks? When the tide is not too high you can wade close enough to the channel to cast into it. Use heavy tackle; you will need it. The sharks are absolutely HUGE. 
    Most of the time I used white bait I had caught. Have used shrimp. The trout love shrimp, but there is a problem; so do pinfish. 
    Can't help but wonder what Dunedin Causeway is like now. Anyone know?