Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Fishing Lights for casual seawall fishing

p914p914 Posts: 516 Officer
edited July 28 in General Fishing #1
Thinking about buying some cheapy lights for occasional use at my ICW seawall. No AC or 12V battery so I wanted something very portable and easy. They come in 4 packs of blue or green. Any thoughts as to effectiveness? Targeting snook and tarpon.

Replies

• Jack HexterJack Hexter New Port RicheyPosts: 5,530 Moderator
    to be effective, a light must be on every night.  Occasional will not hack it
  • p914p914 Posts: 516 Officer
    Good point! so the fish get used to a consistent light source for it to be effective?
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 829 Officer
    Yes. The first time you turn a light on in a spot, you'll probably attract little baitfish and could get lucky and have a bigger predator check it out, but what folks really think of as productive dock light fishing are lights that fish visit habitually night after night.

That said, if you're fishing the seawall at night anyway, the light isn't going to hurt anything.
    Many thanks for validating my parking!
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,742 Captain
    A little something to remember.... lights that are on every night - at docks, piers, bridges, etc - make the night scene wherever you find them.  The hard part is finding lights that are accessible to a guy on foot.  Anywhere you go, one of the first places to check out is a fishing pier with lights on it, public boat ramps with lights,  last on my list are hotels or motels on the water, since many of them have docks at the rear for their guest's boats.  If you're quiet and don't leave a mess - most of them aren't secured at all and if their lights are on every night you're in business (no I'm not advocating trespassing although that's what all of us did as kids..). Good luck and post up a fishing report.. 
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    So the tarpon have been hungry at my seawall where I live. Hooked into @ 5-6  5ft+ jumpers. Using mullet heads. Didn't get the lights yet just fishing around dusk. Thought about terror eyz for a change up. Any particular color and size recs?
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,433 AG
    Go with a Baitbuster -- stronger hooks.
    Go with a Baitbuster -- stronger hooks.

any size or color rec?
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,742 Captain
    Most recommendations I've seen for Terroeyz say rootbeer... (I don't use them myself...).  I do use a bunch of Baitbusters, buying them fifty at a time... in red/white, rootbeer, and basic mullet colors (black & silver, green and silver, etc.).  Baitbusters come in several styles - the one you want for tarpon is the deep running trolling model (a bit heavier, larger much stronger hook...).

Sounds like you're doing alright if they're picking up mullet heads - make sure to use a circle hook with bait for tarpon - you'll not only hook up more - but the hooks will stick...
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    - make sure to use a circle hook with bait for tarpon - you'll not only hook up more - but the hooks will stick...

Thanks for those recs. I've been using 5/0 circles and hooking up well.
  • TarponatorTarponator Under a BridgePosts: 19,433 AG
    I agree with Capt. Lemay on the Baitbuster suggestion -- get the trolling model.
    ordered a few of both! Thanks...