Skip to main content
Home General Hunting

Another newbie seeking guidance

2»

Replies

• bowhunter4lifebowhunter4life Posts: 2,170 Captain
    H20dad said:
    I might have to knock several years of dust off my decoys with all your talk about the bombing range!… Your slipping Bobby!😜
    Bring bolt cutters. They’ve been locking the gate until opening time at sawgrass, unless you got another way in, like me. 
    When there’s a will , there’s way. Before they built sawgrass expressway we use to walk into there from the end of southgate blvd and snipe hunt. I just don’t have the will to cross canals and jump levee’s to kill ducks…. I guess I’m getting old.🤨
    Pinman said:
    Yeah lp   It was a great place in the late 70's-80's
    I camped on that levee in the late 80’s and early 90’s….I’m sure it was better when you were there. 
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,528 Captain
    Pinman said:
    I camped on that levee in the late 80’s and early 90’s….I’m sure it was better when you were there. 
    We were still there, camped all the way on the end of the dike. Went to locked gate and permits, then camping before the gate, then permits before the gate and now....shut down totally to camping. 
  • Big MakBig Mak Posts: 5,466 Admiral
    edited August 3 #35
    Pinman said:
    Pinman said:
    We were still there, camped all the way on the end of the dike. Went to locked gate and permits, then camping before the gate, then permits before the gate and now....shut down totally to camping. 
    A great example of the incremental creep of continuous rule making that eventually strips you of everything and leaves you holding your *** with both hands. And, all the while, the hunting and the fishing continued to deteriorate every subsequent year. What exactly did the public gain from this? Nada!

More regulation can't guarantee a better experience. Usually the exact opposite occurs.  This is what the new generation needs to learn and understand, and this is what some of us old farts need to be reminded of from time to time. 

There's my tidbit of wisdom for the day. 
    I drove through okeetantie campground a few months ago, picnic tables buried in weeds and nobody using it. It’s hard to go back and see these places when you remember them in a better way….
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,043 AG
    I hunted and fished all them Dikes back then.
    Use to go west from Jonnys Bass Hole into Indian lands and fish all weekend.
    One time the Game Warden stopped me and asked me for my license, and I gave him my Seminole Tribal permit.
    He didn't like that a bit and even more so when I told him I don't need no stinkin fishing license from the State on Indian lands.
    Every gate is now locked..bs. So glad I don't live there anymore.
    Big Bend...the Final Frontier of old Florida
    Killin and Grillin :grin
    I hunted and fished all them Dikes back then.
    Use to go west from Jonnys Bass Hole into Indian lands and fish all weekend.
    One time the Game Warden stopped me and asked me for my license, and I gave him my Seminole Tribal permit.
    He didn't like that a bit and even more so when I told him I don't need no stinkin fishing license from the State on Indian lands.
    Every gate is now locked..bs. So glad I don't live there anymore.
    Big Bend...the Final Frontier of old Florida
    Most don't even know where or what Johnny's Basshole was...

I shot a nice 8 point on the levy behind Johnny's, just around the first bend about 40 years ago, from a 3 wheeler. One of the best deer hunts ever. Didn't even get wet feet that day. 

Bowhuntr, I believe okeetantie was bought out with big plans to turn it in to a Griswald style circus vacation destination? The last time I was there though, it looked like you described. Guess the transformational face lift has yet to begin. 
    Yep… I believe it was going to be guy Harvey resort and marina, but the deal fell through.
    Yep… I believe it was going to be guy Harvey resort and marina, but the deal fell through.
    A blessing... until the next eco nut group gets hold of it and starts charging fees and adding locked gates with no firearms signs everywhere.

To he11 with traditional use is usually their motto. 
    Should have moved out of here at least 20 years ago… family is the only thing holding me here.
    Should have moved out of here at least 20 years ago… family is the only thing holding me here.
    Yep. I think TRT has it figgered out. 
  • Turner River TerrorTurner River Terror Posts: 11,043 AG
    Best I could do...
    Watched the Harvest Totals in B C go from 600 deer and hogs per year to 50 or so. Watched gates put up everywhere I use to run around, Areas closed forever, Game Wardens all over that never even hunted.
    Almost makes me cry to see what has happened.
    So glad I bailed when I could. Land of the Free up here...
    Killin and Grillin :grin
  • PinmanPinman Posts: 3,528 Captain
    edited August 4 #44
    Big Mak said:
    Pinman said:
    Pinman said:
    A great example of the incremental creep of continuous rule making that eventually strips you of everything and leaves you holding your *** with both hands. And, all the while, the hunting and the fishing continued to deteriorate every subsequent year. What exactly did the public gain from this? Nada!

More regulation can't guarantee a better experience. Usually the exact opposite occurs.  This is what the new generation needs to learn and understand, and this is what some of us old farts need to be reminded of from time to time. 

There's my tidbit of wisdom for the day. 
    Ya aint lyin...

And if anyone ever wonders why I rail against hunters wanting more restrictions.....one life lesson is the above. And Merritt Island Refuge has gone the same way, enough so that I gave up my share of a great camp bordered on 3 sides by the refuge. 

The truth is more regulations leads to more regulations until its where you cant go anymore. Be careful what you ask for.....