Skip to main content
Home Big Bend General Fishing & The Outdoors

Now this is a good day fishing!

This post by a great guide gets my blood stirring and wishing we were down there fishing with him again.

https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=3367375260201879&set=pcb.3367375566868515

Replies

• xmuskyguidexmuskyguide Beautiful HomosassaPosts: 1,981 Captain
    Some very nice snook. There are captains in our area that do as well but, sadly no longer post on this forum. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BillyBilly ChassahowitzkaPosts: 2,771 Captain
    Some very nice snook. There are captains in our area that do as well but, sadly no longer post on this forum. 
    You know why? I'll tell you.

I use to post many times (check my old posts) after I spent years learning the area by myself. I also fished with a friend who knew the area even more than I knew it. He later became a captain with a guide service and I still posted.

Then it became an issue with people wanting "specifics" with out doing their own research. Then it also became people being seen where we fished. Areas where we never saw a soul. So. I quit posting trips and photos, maybe the guides have felt the same, I can't speak for them...their mileage may vary.

Billy
    "And the ocean is howling for the things that might have been..."
    I spent a lot of time on the water finding spots too. Once in a while I would take a forum member but they would pass the word around and the next thing I knew there would be a boat with a forum member fishing a spot I had shown them. That being said, there are a lot more people in the area and they use succesful fishermen as fish finders. I have even had Captains come up and start fishing an oyster bar I was on. They were too noisy and wouldn't catch anything anyway. Mainly ones from south of our area when they had shut off keeping fish where they lived. Two extra lanes both ways on 19 and traffic is still worse than ever. I'm glad to be old with one foot in the grave. Enough of this _ _ _ _.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,817 Moderator
    The crowds are big and the area not so much. The "stole my spot" doesn't hold much water IMHO.
    Certain community holes (spoil banks etc.) have always been crowded during times of the year.
    Oyster bars stick out like a sore thumb and anyone can see them. Scallop spots , just look and you see.

Laziness and OPEN social media gets more views for people looking to fill ( paid for) boat seats.
    Before FB and such, right here was the only way to accomplish that. Those who you speak of got their start and to a large extent knowledge from where. ?

Right here is where.  So , let them complain about this forum . Facts are facts.
    Rant over..

"You'll get your weather"
    I was talking about an oyster bar 15 yds long that I was fishing at the time. They saw me catching redfish and the captain brought the four of them over. They were too noisy and spooked the fish. Fifteen minutes after they left, I started catching fish again. Places like the spoils banks everyone knows about and they accomodate each other. Long after the majority of people quit fishing them there are good sized schools of larger fish that frequent them. November is a good month. Look for the big red clouds.
    Sorry for my earlier rant. I'm just a grouchy old man. 
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I spent a lot of time on the water finding spots too. Once in a while I would take a forum member but they would pass the word around and the next thing I knew there would be a boat with a forum member fishing a spot I had shown them. That being said, there are a lot more people in the area and they use succesful fishermen as fish finders. I have even had Captains come up and start fishing an oyster bar I was on. They were too noisy and wouldn't catch anything anyway. Mainly ones from south of our area when they had shut off keeping fish where they lived. Two extra lanes both ways on 19 and traffic is still worse than ever. I'm glad to be old with one foot in the grave. Enough of this _ _ _ _.
    Nah, you stated it well, it's a growing problem with easy access to the internet and the **** load of people who are moving in and fishing the area, I wasn't here 25 years ago, but even 15 years ago it was "different" than it is now. I can only imagine what it was before then.

I'm not a native Floridian, you can't choose your birth place, but I have spent a lot of years in Florida and now close to 14 years in this area. I always have chosen to adjust to the area I lived in and not make the area adjust to me.

Things have certainly change since I've been in this area and again I can only imagine how much it has changed for those who have lived here all their lives. As to posting reports, unless they are offshore, I have been done for awhile.

Billy
    Wasn't aimed at anyone in particular Ted.. Just my overall rant. lol 

Before FB and such, right here was the only way to accomplish that. Those who you speak of got their start and to a large extent knowledge from where. ?

Right here is where.  So , let them complain about this forum . Facts are facts.
    Rant over..

I won't disagree with that Louie but I will say there are places I fished that had very little, if any traffic, that was what my "rant" was about.  :)

Billy
  • FlashFlash Posts: 12,289 AG
    Know him very well. Shot photos of his kids playing Little League. Pretty decent guy. Since I sold my boat, might have to hire him myself. Been seeing some big snook around here lately. Most are throw backs anyway.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Never seem more learned than the people you are with. Wear your learning like a pocket watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked. --- Lord Chesterfield
  • ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    Before fs and FB it was just dedication and time to find fish, FS only helped the googans
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Before fs and FB it was just dedication and time to find fish, FS only helped the googans
    Everybody learns from someone.
  • nicknick Crystal RiverPosts: 5,055 Admiral
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 243 Deckhand
    Guilty as charged. >:);) Once when the wind stopped a planned shark trip, you stopped on a silver trout spot . That was four or five years ago. I have stopped there a couple times in the last couple years and have not had the success you and I had. Matter of fact, I think I caught a total of one. Success on a given spot may be knowledge and technique as opposed to just knowing the location. 
    HARRYD said
    Guilty as charged. >:);) Once when the wind stopped a planned shark trip, you stopped on a silver trout spot . That was four or five years ago. I have stopped there a couple times in the last couple years and have not had the success you and I had. Matter of fact, I think I caught a total of one. Success on a given spot may be knowledge and technique as opposed to just knowing the location. 
    Wasn't refering to you Harry. That's an old spring that only flows when we have had a heavy rain. Watch for turtles popping up. I have caught pompano, cobia, blacktip sharks, bonnet heads, sand trout, whiting, spanish macs and even a couple of gag grouper there. I would catch a noisy sand trout and put it about four feet under a float. When it petered out would replace it with a fresh one. Cobia seem to love them as much as blacktips and ALSN sharks.  
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • HARRYDHARRYD Posts: 243 Deckhand
    HARRYD said
    Wasn't refering to you Harry. That's an old spring that only flows when we have had a heavy rain. Watch for turtles popping up. I have caught pompano, cobia, blacktip sharks, bonnet heads, sand trout, whiting, spanish macs and even a couple of gag grouper there. I would catch a noisy sand trout and put it about four feet under a float. When it petered out would replace it with a fresh one. Cobia seem to love them as much as blacktips and ALSN sharks.  
    Didn't really think you were. It was just a chance to say hi . B)

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,902 AG
    nick said:
    Art can barely catch a grunt. 
    I'm more of an oyster toad guy,
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • ElapidElapid Posts: 138 Deckhand
    ANUMBER1 said:
    Everybody learns from someone.
    But there are definitely varying degrees of this. I grew up as the only member of my family that loved the water and fishing so no, I'm mostly self taught and proud of it. Many of us are those people that head the other way when anyone shows up so no, we don't look for other people's spots to fish.