Skip to main content
Home General Paddle Craft

FG Knot

krashkrash Posts: 828 Officer
How many use this Knot ?

I have used the Uni to Uni for years and years to tie Braind to Fluro.. but te tag ends of this knot have always been an annoyance as the leader passes thru the guides.

I figured out how to tie the FG knot faily easily, without the need for 4 or 5 hands.

Wondering about reliability when casting light braid/fluro on on the flats, beaches, lakes, or canals ?
Old Fugger who just likes to fish

Replies

• John McKroidJohn McKroid Posts: 4,085 Captain
    Like yourself, I used the uni to uni for years.  I switched to the FG knot after learning to tie it well from a Saltstrong video that came out maybe 7years ago.  For jigging with medium to heavy braid line, it has been super strong.  Back when I used the Uni, if I snagged the bottom, that was the weak link where the line broke.  Now that I am using the FG, if I snagged the bottom, the line usually breaks somewhere else. 
  • krashkrash Posts: 828 Officer
    Thx.. JM. , I watched the same vidieo along with others and kind of settled on another method, there are many methods. 

No doubt it stronger, a recent test by Tom Rowland comparing the double uni to fg kind of caught my attention, KInd of calls it a toss up between the two. 
    Now that I have dug my gear out of the corner, cleaned, lubed, and relined everything thought I'd give it a try.
    But have heard from other flats fishermen who like me use lighter lines, and cast a lot that the first loop. most important one, takes a beating on the line guides and has to be retied much more frequently than the Unis.
    The big advantage of the FG is the tag end does not get caught on the cast when the leader goes thru the guides.
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,497 Captain
    I don't seem to have the coordination any more.  I'll stick with my little tool that helps me make nail knots.  Tag ends are trimmed flush and they go thru the guides easily.
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 931 Officer
      I use a double uni,but I also first tie a figure 8 knot which doubles
    the braid. Then attach doubled over line with a uni knot to leader.
       Why?Because when you have a over slot fish or caught in
    mangroves the knot or braid is less likely to give.
  • lemaymiamilemaymiami Posts: 4,724 Captain
    Lots of back and forth about knots - everyone has favorites - here's how I  set up every rod on my skiff with braid.. My first step is a bimini twist on the end of every braid line - when we used mono the bimini was 20 turns -with braid it's 40 turns (braid wants to slip...).  The doubled line is kept short on rigs where we'll be using a rod's length of leader for live baiting, dead baiting, or trolling...   For casting rods (both spin and plug casting) my doubled line is about 12 to 18" (so I can re-tie a new leader without having to make another bimini... Done properly you never even notice a bimini twist going through the guides or tip top... A few years back some folks began saying you used a bimini twist as a shock absorber - that's just nonsense - the only reason to use a bimini is that it's rope making technique - and not a weak spot in your line (like most knots...) so with 10lb braid doubled  -your connection to the leader is being made with 20lb line, and so forth.  The idea is that all of your knots are actually stronger than your line - very important if you fish light gear for big fish... Most fish will rarely test your knots - the day you hook that trophy you'll be glad for every last bit of line strength... 

That doubled line is then bent into a uni to uni knot with the casting leader (mostly using fluoro in 20, 30, 40, or as much as 60lb for tarpon lures headed towards big fish...).  My uni's vary in the number of turns for the leader but the doubled braid is always nine turns - with heavy leaders a two turn uni, all the way back to light 20lb fluoro leader with five turns... Knots are trimmed flush and never hang up in the guides.  it also helps that I keep my casting leaders short - rarely ever longer than 24" (and I'll cut back any frays or abrasions at the lure end from fish until I have less than 10" of leader left - at that point it's replaced.

Hope this helps... "Be a hero... take a kid fishing"
    Tight Lines
    Bob LeMay
    (954) 435-5666
    In my first post, I guess I should have mentioned I have always used a Bimini at the end of the line.. before tying to leader.. Been doing that for years inshore & offshore, mono to mono or fluro, and braid to momo or fluro.
    on braid like Lemay said its short a foot or so at most mailt to give the braid more meat at the braid to leader knot..

This FG knot is hard enough to tie wit ha single length of braid, have not attemptd to double it with a Bimini.
  • mplspugmplspug Palmetto FloridaPosts: 16,006 AG
    Been using the fg for a few years and normally when I get hung up, the line usually breaks on the leader, not the knot.  So as long as it is tied correctly, it is extremely reliable.  

When I first started tying it it would fail on the knot.  But I realized I wasn't finishing with 2 half hitches in opposite directions first around both the leader and braid and then just the braid.  Since then I have had no problem and just like with most things, the more you tie it, the better and faster at it you get.
    Just dropping grenades in OT
  • 10kman10kman Posts: 931 Officer
    Try the GT knot.Stonger then FG and easier to tie.
    IDK about the stronger part with the standard GT knot, and it is a larger knot going thtough guides. The GT is a Knot, actually 2 different knots. the FG is more not a knot but rather a braid around the the leader where its strength comes from.

GT vs FG knot strength test..