Skip to main content
Home Keys General Fishing & The Outdoors

Mini season

2»

Replies

• ANUMBER1ANUMBER1 Posts: 12,890 AG
    ANUMBER1 said:
    recreational fishers are the worst offenders..
    I don't know what you would call most of the people poaching Crawfish are. They ain't in it for recreation and they are not licensed commercials. They do supply some restaurants in Miami for Enchilado de Langosta though..
    ANUMBER1 said:
    recreational fishers are the worst offenders..
    I don't know what you would call most of the people poaching Crawfish are. They ain't in it for recreation and they are not licensed commercials. They do supply some restaurants in Miami for Enchilado de Langosta though..
    If they ain't commercial licensed then they are recreational poachers
    I am glad to only be a bird hunter with bird dogs...being a shooter or dog handler or whatever other niche exists to separate appears to generate far too much about which to worry.
  • drgibbydrgibby Posts: 1,910 Captain
    If they are selling them then they ain't recs, they are unlicensed commercial poachers.

• rygatorrygator Posts: 15 Deckhand
    My bayside holes near Marathon have failed to produce any lobsters for several years now. Up until 6 or 7 years ago we could almost always pull our 18 or 24 limit anytime in the fall. Now it's a ghost town, a few bugs, mostly shorts. I looked at 30 or so holes on Monday, saw maybe 6 keepers, no signs of foul play. Hardly any traps here anymore as well. Headed 35 miles west today, usually still get an easy limit down there. 
    Friend of mine in Marathon has reported the same thing. Holes he's dove for decades completely void of any sign of lobster of any size. I saw it last year first hand and he says the same thing for this year. Some of these holes are beauties but completely empty. Very odd.
    We have seen the same thing on the gulf side.   Great holes without even shorts.  There must be an environmental change in the gulf waters.   Salinity or water temps? 
  • bonebone Posts: 1,171 Officer
    best season in 10 years is what im hearing, and seeing
  • Sea-SquatchSea-Squatch Posts: 2,083 Captain
    We were in marathon for mini season, and it was hard bugging for us on the gulf. Lots of pretty ledges, and stuff, w/ no bugs. Others at the Marathon condo got skunked both days in the gulf. We ended up running down to the Contents both days, and had no trouble finding them.

Just me and my 15yr old went out the 2nd day. We got our 12 pretty easy.