Skip to main content
Home General Fishing

Travel rod options

NthewrongstateNthewrongstate Virginia Posts: 2 Greenhorn
I’m looking for a couple travel rods that will handle bigger tarpon, one for plugs and soft plastics and one for live mullet. Any suggestions on brand, and rod lure/line rating would be great. I’ll be fishing from boat some, from bridges some and shore around passes

Replies

• NthewrongstateNthewrongstate Virginia Posts: 2 Greenhorn
    Or what’s the most popular 1 piece rods for each application? and I’ll just pay the extra baggage fee
  • poncedoradoponcedorado Posts: 816 Officer
    A rod that can handle an adult tarpon from land while still being able to cast decently is about as tough an ask for tackle as there is (let alone potentially finding a 2-piece up for the task)

I'd say in general you want something with plenty of backbone, doesn't weigh too much, and maybe on the longer side for casting to compensate for the necessary stiffness. We use the Star SG1530S80 for tarpon, but I'm sure there are plenty of other similar models out there.