Skip to main content
Home General Freshwater Fishing

Favorite fish

Duck_Slam123Duck_Slam123 South Florida Posts: 62 Deckhand
If you had one fish you could only catch and eat and that’s it. What would it be? 
It would be crappie for me. Excellent table fair and they hit just about anything as long as it fits in there mouth.

Replies

• chaser48chaser48 San Mateo Fla.Posts: 329 Deckhand
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,165 Captain
    Shell crackers in fresh water. 
  • altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,286 Officer
    X2 on the shellcrackers
  • capt louiecapt louie citrus countyPosts: 10,799 Moderator
    Snakeheads maybe ?
    "You'll get your weather"
  • Duck_Slam123Duck_Slam123 South Florida Posts: 62 Deckhand
    altuck said:
    X2 on the shellcrackers
    Funny story but when I was around 9 my uncle despised shellcrackers mostly because we would go out on lake O and catch the bluegills. A lot of the time we would throw our beetle spin and catch shellcrackers and I would keep them because they were huge and eat good. I think they popped my uncle off at least 20 times that day. He eventually got tired of it and started fishing for bass.
    Snakeheads maybe ?
    I respect that. They eat and fight good.
  • jcbcpajcbcpa Posts: 2,322 Captain
    swampdog said:
    Agree with the shellcrackers, although, it's hard to beat jack's or red fin pikes. 

God sleeps in the minerals, awakens in plants, walks in animals, and thinks in man.

Arthur Young

jcbcpa said:
    swampdog said:
    Agree with the shellcrackers, although, it's hard to beat jack's or red fin pikes. 
    You eat the red fins?
  • tankeredtankered Gainesvill, FlPosts: 1,424 Officer
    Hard to beat speckled perch, but and panfish or smaller bass out of a clean lake or river are good too.
    tankered said:
    Hard to beat speckled perch, but and panfish or smaller bass out of a clean lake or river are good too.
    I had a guy that was pissed one winter because I was keeping bass off lake O. It pissed him off more when told him there isn’t anything illegal about it😂.
  • swampdogswampdog Central FloridaPosts: 4,165 Captain
    I remember eating Redfin Pickerel along time ago. We kept everything legal for dinner. Pickerel have a lot of bones but are really tasty. I can’t remember the last time we caught one. 
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,692 Captain
    Canadian walleye cooked on a camp fire.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

Canadian walleye cooked on a camp fire.
    That’s my bucket list fish. 
  • gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,358 Captain
    edited August 1 #15
    OK, OK, you axed fo' it.  Not local, but good beyond any other memory:

1)  High in the north Idaho mountains is Washington Creek, that flows in a series of pools and waterfalls 1,000s of feet down into the North Fork of the Clearwater River.  It shows on Google Earth.

Come in from the high side, hike 1/4 mile down an old logging road, then over the bank and down a couple 100 feet into the canyon.  Cool, clear water and nice, fat, insect fed white meat Trout in there.  Also lots and lots of blue and red Huckleberries that we ate a lot of while hollering back and forth to discourage any Bears that wanted to share.

Friend Charlie and I went up there in his pick'm'up one day and caught a nice mess of Trouts....then he surprised me.  He'd brought a 2 burner Coleman stove, a couple of cast iron frying pans, some bacon grease and a couple of nice spuds.

He cleaned the fish while I peeled and sliced spuds and got the Coleman going, then we fried up those Trout and Taters on the tailgate....and washed them down with ice cold beer.  I can't remember enjoying a meal more.

2)  Fast forward to 2004, when a buddy and I towed my 15 ft Gregor tin boat down from Palm Springs to Puertocitos, Mexico, on the Sea of Cortez.  It was too rough to go offshore in that little boat, but we caught a nice mess of Spotted Bay Bass inshore. 

Regardless of what some people seem to think, I'm highly skilled and experienced in small boats in rough water.  Been there, done that......a lot.  When possible, I choose not to.

Gutted them on the spot, put them in ice/water slurry and brought them home.  We broiled those and they had a rich, warm, buttery flavor that I've never seen before or since.  Easily the tastiest fish I've ever eaten.  Small fish - I'd guess they averaged 12" - 14", but well worth the effort.

Fishy tasting fish turns me off instantly.  Can't stand it - Cod fish 'n' chips with malt vinegar is more my speed.  Most of the time.

• altuckaltuck TallahasseePosts: 1,286 Officer
    Fresh is best, cooked over a campfire on the bank is the best of the best.
    gogittum said:

1)  High in the north Idaho mountains is Washington Creek, that flows in a series of pools and waterfalls 1,000s of feet down into the North Fork of the Clearwater River.  It shows on Google Earth.

Come in from the high side, hike 1/4 mile down an old logging road, then over the bank and down a couple 100 feet into the canyon.  Cool, clear water and nice, fat, insect fed white meat Trout in there.  Also lots and lots of blue and red Huckleberries that we ate a lot of while hollering back and forth to discourage any Bears that wanted to share.

Friend Charlie and I went up there in his pick'm'up one day and caught a nice mess of Trouts....then he surprised me.  He'd brought a 2 burner Coleman stove, a couple of cast iron frying pans, some bacon grease and a couple of nice spuds.

He cleaned the fish while I peeled and sliced spuds and got the Coleman going, then we fried up those Trout and Taters on the tailgate....and washed them down with ice cold beer.  I can't remember enjoying a meal more.

2)  Fast forward to 2004, when a buddy and I towed my 15 ft Gregor tin boat down from Palm Springs to Puertocitos, Mexico, on the Sea of Cortez.  It was too rough to go offshore in that little boat, but we caught a nice mess of Spotted Bay Bass inshore. 

Regardless of what some people seem to think, I'm highly skilled and experienced in small boats in rough water.  Been there, done that......a lot.  When possible, I choose not to.

Gutted them on the spot, put them in ice/water slurry and brought them home.  We broiled those and they had a rich, warm, buttery flavor that I've never seen before or since.  Easily the tastiest fish I've ever eaten.  Small fish - I'd guess they averaged 12" - 14", but well worth the effort.

Fishy tasting fish turns me off instantly.  Can't stand it - Cod fish 'n' chips with malt vinegar is more my speed.  Most of the time.

You know me and my dad had something similar to that at the time I was to young to drink but my dad used to bring a whole deep fryer set up. It was rather cold around lake O, but the crappie bite was on, and my dad got to the point of gutting fish. That was a much simpler time and I enjoyed every second of it.
  • bottom feederbottom feeder Posts: 1,692 Captain
    Check out Boundary Waters, Ontario.  I did some primitive camping trips back in the late 70s.  The fishing back then was incredible.  We didn't see anyone for a week.

Leaving Florida... take a developer with you!

• gogittumgogittum Nature CoastPosts: 3,358 Captain
    edited August 3 #19
    gogittum said:

You know me and my dad had something similar to that at the time I was to young to drink but my dad used to bring a whole deep fryer set up. It was rather cold around lake O, but the crappie bite was on, and my dad got to the point of gutting fish. That was a much simpler time and I enjoyed every second of it.
    You remind me:   Many, many years ago, I was in the little village of Garden Bay in Pender Harbor, B.C. (it really was a hole in the wall then.  Not no mo')  Little back door coffee shop/lunch room deep fried a couple of medium sized fresh Oysters in batter, then put them in a hamburger bun with lettuce, tomatoes and some sauce (don't remember - maybe tartar ??) and served 'em  up.  They were among the best I've ever eaten.  Deep fryers rock.